Egypt: from 2011 demonstrations to today (8 Viewers)

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
funny thing is the ppl who were asked to vandelize around were promissed free appartments once done and now they are rebelling because they got nothing yet!!

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,123
    Martyrdom typically carries religious overtones in my cultural context, not so much political ones. So someone burned at the stake in old times because they believed in Christ or Mohammed would be considered a martyr: someone who died more for who they are and what they believe in, not for what they did. So a Chinese dissident who stood up to a tank in Tainanmen Square that ultimately ran him over would not be considered a martyr.

So from my perspective, to see it used so casually dilutes the term. There are people who are captured prisoners and might die in an enemy prison from severe diarrhea and they are called "martyrs." It contributes to a sort of victimhood mentality of the culture using it. When you consider a much broader group of people as martyrs, you build your cultural identity off of victimhood. And any culture that tries to boast its cultural values over another's in a "we suffered more than you" superiority is ultimately making more cultural legend out of failure rather than success. That can't be too good or culturally healthy.

So to be briefer and more to the point: martyrdom celebrates failure. But by not calling them martyrs, you do not.
    I fully understand you. Thanks for the explanation.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I fully understand you. Thanks for the explanation.
    Wacky. :D

It's funny because I looked at Wikipedia and they had a similar definition to "martyr" as I had been thinking (the religious overtones, etc.). But it is curious that the cultural context can be very different in its use... if not just its translation.

So yes, even Wikipedia is wrong sometimes. :p

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Wacky. :D

It's funny because I looked at Wikipedia and they had a similar definition to "martyr" as I had been thinking (the religious overtones, etc.). But it is curious that the cultural context can be very different in its use... if not just its translation.

So yes, even Wikipedia is wrong sometimes. :p
    Wikipedia says whatever you put there, so stop blaming "it" :D

Naggar

Bianconero
    Sep 4, 2007
    [video=facebook;10150089284991956]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150089284991956[/video]

[In English] A part of the interview Amanpour had with vice president Omar Soliman, whose just another copy of Mubarak
    and looks like Mubarak is trying to push him into his place like Yeltsin did with Putin

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I saw the interview on CNN, he basically said Egyptians dont have the sophisticated culture for democracy, basically called his people asshats who dont deserve to decide things for themselves. Why is this guy being described as respectable by Egyptians in general?

And Gregster, veeeery kudos worthy post, well said.

Naggar

Bianconero
    Sep 4, 2007
    He always worked behind the scenes, one of Mubarak's closest men and as bad as everyone else in the government, but he didn't publicly steal a few millions or murder someone (as in give orders to) as far as we know, so he's not hated yet

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    He always worked behind the scenes, one of Mubarak's closest men and as bad as everyone else in the government, but he didn't publicly steal a few millions or murder someone (as in give orders to) as far as we know, so he's not hated yet
    Sad state of affairs, if you are respectable because you arent as thieving corrupt murder as others, despite still being corrupt and a henchman to a tyrant.

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
    I didn't. It wasn't even uploaded on the rassd news page. I heard Nasrallah though. What did Qaddafi say?
    Wael Ghonim turned around many unsupporting ppl after yesterday's interview. I guess that interview is going to be vital.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,137
    From Reuters:

What has the opposition gained?
    After two weeks of protests, Mubarak has said he will not run again for president, his son has been ruled out as next in line, a vice president has been appointed for the first time in 30 years, the ruling party leadership has quit and the old cabinet was sacked. Perhaps more importantly, protesters now go onto the streets almost with impunity in their hundreds of thousands. Before the wave of protests began on January 25, even a few hundred would have met a crushing police response.

These are staggering gains won from Egypt's leadership which had stifled any opposition voice almost completely, with the exception of a few hardy independent newspapers.

Yet the government has so far dodged the protesters' main demand that Mubarak must go now. The state-owned al-Gomhuria newspaper seemed to sum it up on today it had a banner headline reading "New Era" above a photo of Vice President Omar Suleiman meeting the opposition while he stood under a picture of Mubarak.

Where does the government stand?
    Although the hard core of the opposition has refused to budge on letting Mubarak stay on, some more pragmatic elements have said rather that the president, at the very least, should delegate his powers to vice-president Suleiman.

The government has rejected both demands. Instead, it has persuaded opposition representatives who joined the dialogue to adopt a government statement as the basis for talks that puts the establishment in the driving seat.

The statement, issued after the first round of talks on Sunday, referred to the president "ending his current term" in September when an election is due. This means the government is dictating a departure timetable.

Protesters have demanded an end to emergency law, in force for decades, which they say has been used to stifle dissent. The government statement said lifting it depended on "security conditions", rather than conceding the principle that it go now.

Sidestepping a call to dissolve parliament, the statement said the government would accept court rulings against fraudulent results in the last election in November 2010, a vote rights groups dismissed as a sham. But that falls far short of holding another election to replace the parliament that is now overwhelmingly dominated by Mubarak's ruling party.

How united is the opposition?
    Two broad trends seem to be emerging between youths - who can reasonably claim to have been the driving force for the protests - and the more formal opposition groups ranging from liberals and leftists to Islamists, which are more pragmatic and more ready to engage in political horse-trading.

One of the strongest voices in the opposition ranks is the Muslim Brotherhood, which took a backseat in the early part of the protests. It is now talking with the government, a step unthinkable before January 25.

The state has long demonised the group, particularly to the West, as seeking to install a Sunni theocracy, similar to Shi'ite Iran which the West fears.

But within the opposition there is little common ground. Even their demand that Mubarak quit before they agree to talks with the government is no longer the unifying call it was.
    The Brotherhood, seen as Egypt's biggest organised opposition group which had ruled out talking to the government before Mubarak went, changed its tune and joined discussions.
    Among the Brotherhood ranks, some now grumble that its leadership has caved in too easily to government trickery.

The youth camped in Cairo's Tahrir Square have not budged. "We reject these talks. Mubarak must leave," accountant Sayed Abdel Hadi, 28, said as he wrote an anti-Mubarak slogan on the road. But these youths also lack a clear leadership and now face the challenge of regaining the momentum of the masses when many Egyptians are desperate for a return to normal life.

What happens next?
    The talks with the government could easily get bogged down in constitutional details about whether Suleiman could take over presidential powers and still deliver the reforms needed to hold a free and fair presidential election. There is a debate over two articles, one that says a vice president who has been delegated powers cannot dissolve parliament or change the constitution and another which says the president can appoint a vice president and "define their jurisdiction", possibly suggesting a deputy could be given full presidential powers.

Such a debate could take months, once again playing into the government's hands and ensuring Mubarak stays until September. As that period extends, Egyptians who wanted immediate change may become restless again and return in numbers to the streets.
    After showing goodwill in joining talks, opposition groups could pull out of them if the government does not give enough ground. They have already said the government position is too rigid and a walkout might provoke further street action.

The resilience of the economy could also be a factor. If investors punish the Egyptian pound, that would swiftly lead to higher food prices, exacerbating an inflation problem that brought many Egyptians on to the streets in the first place. The speed at which tourism recovers will also be key, as that industry accounts for 11 percent of gross domestic product.

Financial markets have been relatively stable so far. Protests continue but are calm, and the dialogue has reassured investors, while the pound has weakened but only modestly. The stock market has yet to re-open and is likely to be hit when it does. But falls may focus on companies with links to the establishment and the size of a drop will probably be influenced by the fate of the pound.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,138
    I didn't. It wasn't even uploaded on the rassd news page. I heard Nasrallah though. What did Qaddafi say?
    Wael Ghonim turned around many unsupporting ppl after yesterday's interview. I guess that interview is going to be vital.
    He defended Mubarak and said that he has no money to buy clothes. He said he supports him. He also said that Tunisians hate Ben Ali because his wife is from Tripoli. He also said that Mossad is behind what is happening in Egypt. He attacked Aljazeera and Al-Qaradawi.

I always tried to predict the viewpoint of this guy but he is always developing his idiocy to a new level all the time.:sergio:

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    He defended Mubarak and said that he has no money to buy clothes. He said he supports him. He also said that Tunisians hate Ben Ali because his wife is from Tripoli. He also said that Mossad is behind what is happening in Egypt. He attacked Aljazeera and Al-Qaradawi.

I always tried to predict the viewpoint of this guy but he is always developing his idiocy to a new level all the time.:sergio:
    gadaffi is a hilarious character to be honest :D sometimes i feel he smokes up before he gives interviews!! :D my mother actually likes him and when i ask she says he is very out spoken and as she puts it " we beyshot fel kol!! " personally i would'nt be giving interviews and rather focus on preventing anything happening to libya!! the entire region is boiling and should egypt get rid of mubs then i have no doubt in my heart the rest will follow like an avalanche they r all worried. when a nit case like ali saleh wakes up and tells his people he has no intention of giving power to his son etc etc then u know hell is being unleashed on the people who have sucked our bloods dry!!!

recently i've been hearing figures about a certain families wealth and i sit in amazement :D 70billion usd and we have debt?!?!?! 70billion dollars and the majority of people my age cant even get fucking married?!?!?! 70 billion dollars and 60% of yr population are illiterate?!?!?!?! 70 billion dollars and u destroyed our agriculture when egypt has always been the main capital of agriculture thru out history?!?!!?!? and finally 70 billion dollars and we dont have enough resources and people should stop humping like rabbits and wear condoms or even better feed yr wife some pills bec the more children u have the less money the government will steal?!!?!?

i was always told egypt is not a poor country but never realized it was true until i read some of the figures that showed how every one sucked money into there pockets!! sad reality bec this country has been thru the worst of the worst and the people never give up on showing how much they love this place even when they cant afford a decent life in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)