Egypt: from 2011 demonstrations to today (25 Viewers)

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
i think you might be downplaying the influence of the mb. Practically all of the saeed is theirs, and like i said at first sign of trouble they will use their tools, religion, to convince people that they made a mistake. As you know, and best exemplified on this glorious forum :p, the majority will succumb to the appeal of knee jerk reactions. As much as you hate these guys, and i am totally with you on the hate, for the future of your country they have to have a place in the government imo

dearest Abel, i think you r over rating the muslim brotherhood :D believe it or not the saeed hate the Mb and to prove it in 2011 when the first rev started there were minimum demo's in that part of egypt but yesterday check out asyut, aswan, el menia etc they were out in numbers. also abel last night the mb and there allies in the gamaa ismayaa killed portesters with live ammunition adding more hate towards them.

i cant stress how much i agree 100% with you regarding them being part of the egyptain community and political scene no two ways about it. i think egyptains needed to try the mb to understand and i can safely say they will use there weapon of religion but not to the same effectiveness. do u know that the salafists refused to go up against the people and mind you they r 3-4 million strong and are actually more in numbers than the mb and they were the ones who gave the mb more wieght on the ground and demo's the muslim brotherhood is the biggest loser, followed by the islamists.

abel the youth who did this revolution want a country were every one regardless of faith has equal rights and freedoms and i assure you if egypt is to go forward and i know it will go forward every political force needs to be considered and play a role in building this country or else we r just lying to our selves.

i'm so glad you understand where my hate for beardies comes from, and i'm glad people are no longer brain washed. the past year has been the worst for every one and specially the poorer citizens. this is the only justice we got, justice in being tortured!! no elec, no water, no safety, hate between people. it was breath taking seeing egyptains unite the way they did last night and now as i type this.

Buy on AliExpress.com

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
dearest Abel, i think you r over rating the muslim brotherhood :D believe it or not the saeed hate the Mb and to prove it in 2011 when the first rev started there were minimum demo's in that part of egypt but yesterday check out asyut, aswan, el menia etc they were out in numbers. also abel last night the mb and there allies in the gamaa ismayaa killed portesters with live ammunition adding more hate towards them.

i cant stress how much i agree 100% with you regarding them being part of the egyptain community and political scene no two ways about it. i think egyptains needed to try the mb to understand and i can safely say they will use there weapon of religion but not to the same effectiveness. do u know that the salafists refused to go up against the people and mind you they r 3-4 million strong and are actually more in numbers than the mb and they were the ones who gave the mb more wieght on the ground and demo's the muslim brotherhood is the biggest loser, followed by the islamists.

abel the youth who did this revolution want a country were every one regardless of faith has equal rights and freedoms and i assure you if egypt is to go forward and i know it will go forward every political force needs to be considered and play a role in building this country or else we r just lying to our selves.

i'm so glad you understand where my hate for beardies comes from, and i'm glad people are no longer brain washed. the past year has been the worst for every one and specially the poorer citizens. this is the only justice we got, justice in being tortured!! no elec, no water, no safety, hate between people. it was breath taking seeing egyptains unite the way they did last night and now as i type this.

:tup: and hopefully they set the tone for the rest of the region

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Islamic Reformation, glorious march forward of moderate Islam, Insha'Allah.

Bisco, if I was rich I would extract you using my helicopter. But failing that, you're in my prayers :~) :xfinger:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The military meddling with civilian affairs is never a good thing Bisco... 'The lesser of the two evils' is not necessarily always better.
Completely agree.

military will ALWAYS intervene when country is on brink of chaos

Military should always intervene to maintain security, but they should never meddle in politics. If theres one lesson to be learned from modern middle eastern history, it is that whenever the military institution meddles in politics, it inevitably leads to autocratic, dictatorial regimes.

You know Bisco, I've been very disappointed with the MB, I won't lie, I was one of the people who had high hopes for them and hoped they would win in Egypt, Libya and Tunisia(They didn't in Libya btw). It turns out I was naive and wrong about them. I have no qualms admitting that.

That being said, this is Democracy, and if we Arabs want and believe in democracy then we should learn to accept its results, even when they bring in parties we don't necessarily like or agree with. When Morsy issued the judicial decree in which he tried to make his decisions above the reach of any court, I was completely with Egyptians who stormed the streets protesting that decree. However asking him to leave office after just above a year of him being appointed after a fair and transparent election process is definitely asking too much imo. I think he should be given the chance to serve out his term.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Well if current middle eastern events show us anything it's when you let Islamists compete in politics things stay the same as under the dictator...

- - - Updated - - -

Egyptian President Mursi rejects army ultimatum

President Mohammed Mursi has rejected an army ultimatum to force a resolution to Egypt's political crisis, saying that he had not been consulted and would pursue his own plans for national reconciliation.
The Islamist leader described as potentially confusing yesterday’s 48-hour deadline set by the head of the armed forces for him to agree on a common platform with liberal rivals.
His opponents have drawn millions into the streets demanding Mr Mursi's resignation.
Members of his Muslim Brotherhood have used the word "coup" to describe the military manoeuvre, which carries the threat of the generals imposing their own plans for the nation.
But in a statement issued at nearly 2am, nine hours after General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi delighted Mr Mursi's opponents by effectively ordering the president to heed the demands of demonstrators, the president's office used considerably less direct language to indicate he would try to take little notice.
"The president of the republic was not consulted about the statement issued by the armed forces," it said.
"The presidency sees that some of the statements in it carry meanings that could cause confusion in the complex national environment."
Official video was released showing Mr Mursi meeting General Sisi. It is unclear when it was shot.
The statement from Mr Mursi's office continued: "The presidency confirms that it is going forward on its previously plotted path to promote comprehensive national reconciliation ... regardless of any statements that deepen divisions between citizens."
Describing civilian rule as a great gain from the revolution of 2011, Egypt's first freely elected leader, in office for just a year, said he would not let the clock be turned back.
But in referring to his plans for reconciliation as those he had spelt out before, he was speaking of offers that have already been rejected by the opposition.
That means it is improbable that such compromises would be agreed before General Sisi's deadline.
Mr Mursi also spoke to US President Barack Obama by phone yesterday, the presidency said in a separate statement.
Mr Mursi stressed that Egypt was moving forward with a peaceful democratic transition based on the law and constitution, it said.
A sense of disintegration in the administration since the protests on Sunday has been heightened by the resignations tendered by several ministers who are not members of Mr Mursi's Muslim Brotherhood.
This morning the state news agency said the foreign minister, Mohamed Kamel Amr, had also asked to step down.
Attacks on Brotherhood offices have added to feelings among Islamists that they are under siege.
Some Brotherhood leaders, who swept a series of votes last year, said they would look to put their own supporters on the streets.
After the destruction of the Brotherhood's headquarters in a battle overnight on Monday in which eight people were killed, the possibility of wider violence seems real.

No question of negotiating
The coalition that backed Sunday's protests said there was no question of it negotiating now with Mr Mursi on the general's timetable and it was already formulating its positions for discussion directly with the army once the 48 hours are up.
General Sisi, in his broadcast statement, insisted that he had the interests of democracy at heart - a still very flawed democracy that Egyptians have been able to practise as a result of the army pushing aside Hosni Mubarak in the face of a popular uprising.
That enhanced the already high standing of the army among Egyptians.
Military helicopters dropped national flags over Cairo's Tahrir Square at sunset on Sunday, further boosting the army’s popularity with protesters.
But on the other side of Egypt's polarised politics, a Brotherhood spokesman said it might consider forming "self-defence" committees after a series of attacks on its premises.
Another leading figure in the movement, Mohamed El-Beltagy, said: "The coming period will witness an alignment between all the Islamist forces. Their sons will be called on to demonstrate in all streets and squares of the country."
Among Mr Mursi's allies are groups with more militant pasts, including al-Gamaa al-Islamiya, a sometime associate of al-Qaeda, whose men fought Mr Mubarak's security forces for years and who have warned they would not tolerate renewed military rule.
An alliance of Islamist groups, including the Brotherhood, issued a cautious joint statement that avoided criticising the army but spoke of it being manipulated by rival parties.

Raise Hell Boys.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Completely agree.

Military should always intervene to maintain security, but they should never meddle in politics. If theres one lesson to be learned from modern middle eastern history, it is that whenever the military institution meddles in politics, it inevitably leads to autocratic, dictatorial regimes.

You know Bisco, I've been very disappointed with the MB, I won't lie, I was one of the people who had high hopes for them and hoped they would win in Egypt, Libya and Tunisia(They didn't in Libya btw). It turns out I was naive and wrong about them. I have no qualms admitting that.

That being said, this is Democracy, and if we Arabs want and believe in democracy then we should learn to accept its results, even when they bring in parties we don't necessarily like or agree with. When Morsy issued the judicial decree in which he tried to make his decisions above the reach of any court, I was completely with Egyptians who stormed the streets protesting that decree. However asking him to leave office after just above a year of him being appointed after a fair and transparent election process is definitely asking too much imo. I think he should be given the chance to serve out his term.
i agree with every thing except the bolded part. let me tell you that the mistake morsy and co did and hence why he has to leave NOW:

1- the un-constitutional decree
2- simply bec you won elections ( mind you he barely won fred, and lets not forget the old scaf and the threats the mb and islamists issued!! ) does'nt mean you take all specially in a transition period after a revolution
3- COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE!!! in every thing!!
4- last night the presidency released a statement that obama backs up morsy and there fore he is'nt leaving i,e he doesnt give two shits about the MILLIONS IN THE STREET i mean mega millions 18 million is an under statement. turns out obama told him non of tihs shit and they r lairs once again!!
5- violence used against us the people, against the army, against our national security.

bro if he was good, or if he had potential do u think the millions of people you see in cairo's streets would go down against him??? no but he and his muslim brotherhood came to power and focuses on getting revenge.

watch the coming few days, you will be in for surprises fred!! the involvement of morsy in person with attacks on egyptains during the revolution, the muslim brotherhood are no angels and you and me bothknow this. ask the UAE about what the bastards wanted to pull in UAE, or in saudi arabia.

we get called kaffer and the bastard doesnt even say no dont call my people this!!! did you see the 4 shites dragged frrom there house and brutalized in the streets?!?! this is not egypt, at least this is not the country i know. he has to go, once again and every egyptain knows this, we can not exclude them from the political scene however if they fulfil there threats of violence tonight then this my dear fred will be the end of this group and you will see the ripple effect world wide. this organization that put its hands in the nazi's hand infact they have many nazi and fascist thoughts started here and it might end here if they dont use there brain. the MB monster is no longer popular as it once was specially after the rev where they where portrayed as victims of the mubrak era, however now people know why nasser sent them to jail.

NOTE: there are demo's in every single city in egypt not just in cairo. the 18 million ++++++ is just in cairo, check alex, and the rest.

- - - Updated - - -

last night if i didnt know what was going on i would've thought egypt wont he world cup the amount of happiness the people felt my selfincluded with the military ultimatum is epic. the military will not rule and i know they wont bec this military council is very very different and they learnt the lesson. now they r communicating with the youth not the old grand pa's. mind you egyptains dont have a soft spot for the opposition either so its in the youths hand for the first time since the rev kicked off in 2011.

- - - Updated - - -

i'm happy terror used by the muslim brotherhood is'nt working, egyptains are flocking in unprecedented numbers its insane. just now the salfists are calling for him to just leave enough is enough. lying is a religion for the muslim brotherhood. they sent the us adminstration pictures from a winter demo calling it and i quote supporters of morsi :lol: they r FAILURES :lol: if they think egyptains are dumb i'm guessing they think the us admin is dumber :rofl: and yet you think we dont have the right to remove this retard and his gang. the jihadi salafists ( are different from normal salafists) are threatening the army in sinai oooooooooooohhhhhh boy BRING IT ON the police and the army are dying to finish this hive of terror courtesy of morsy's exemptions of prisoners i,e killers who have egyptain blood on there hands.

- - - Updated - - -

the muslim brotherhood are playing there last card and as ABEL predicted they r playing once again on the religion card claiming islam is in danger :lol: shame i swear this is shameful. i mean seriously how do they think this way?? they r thinking egyptains will fall for this, i guess the answer is loud and clear in egypts streets.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
as expected the muslim brotherhood are commiting suicide :D they sent there mis-guided youth to cause problems and violence in several suburbs of cairo and alexandria. to there surprise the families living in these area's other plans and they ran off like the rats that they are. you really have to live in egypt and specially this past year to understand why i personally am happy. i am not a violent person, nor the majority of egyptains but what we saw in one year from the muslim brotherhood, and specially there youth who use terror tactics was way too much. the people never forget women getting slapped in the street by them, or the gruesome scenes from the demo's last winter when they stripped random people and accused them of being christian!! yes it was a crime. the heads of muslim brotherhood never learn and they just sealed there fate.

egypt as usual makes history, and this ladies and gentlemen is the biggest demonstration against a political regime in the history of man kind :klin: enjoy.

Attachments

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
part two

- - - Updated - - -

now i will join the rest of the gang in the demo's right next to my house as they demonstrate in front of the guest palace in cairo in kobba :) its already packed.

in muslim brotherhood egypt you dont go to demonstrations, demonstrations come to you :D

- - - Updated - - -

one last thing, @swag hope you enjoy this big guy, you along with deneb, hoori, and dru know my feelings about this from the very start and have shown loads of love and support :D :beer:

Attachments

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Wow. Holy smokes. Hang in there and stay safe, Ahmed. These are still very turbulent times... but a chance not to take the Iranian path for sure. :strong:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Completely agree.

if there's one lesson it's that everything can be politicized, egypt is in its worst state ever, both economically and socially, the civil forces cannot ensure safety or well being of the citizens, in every instance of this kind, both parties will look for army to step in and they will have to take sides.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Showdown? Egypt's Morsy defies military 'ultimatum'
From Hamdi Alkhshali. Reza Sayah and Chelsea J. Carter, CNN
July 2, 2013 -- Updated 1620 GMT (0020 HKT)

Cairo (CNN) -- Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy refused Tuesday to bow to a military ultimatum that he find a solution to the unrest sweeping the country or be pushed aside, setting the stage for a possible showdown.

Morsy declared he was elected president in balloting that was free and representative of the will of the people.

"The people of Egypt gave me the mandate for president. They chose me in a free election. The people created a constitution which requires me to stay with the constitution," he said in a televised speech. "I have no choice but to bear responsibility for the Egyptian constitution."

The speech came as the clock ticked on the military's plan to suspend the country's constitution, dissolve the Islamist-led parliament and sideline the president, if Morsy does not strike a deal with the opposition to end the unrest, military sources told Arab media and Reuters.

Morsy's defiance sets the stage for a potentially violent showdown, pitting Morsy's supporters -- the Muslim Brotherhood -- against an opposition angered by what they say is the president's failure to take steps to improve conditions more than two years after a popular revolution that ousted Hosni Mubarak.

Morsy gave no indication of stepping down, sharing power or calling early elections, saying he was calling on the military to withdraw its ultimatum and return to its rightful work.

In Morsy's place, the military has said it would install an interim council, made up mainly of civilians, until a new constitution can be drafted and a new president elected, the sources said.

It was unclear what steps the military would take given Morsy's refusal to meet its Wednesday evening deadline. The military has previously stopped short of saying that it was suggesting a coup.

The ultimatum was meant to push all factions toward a national consensus; the armed forces aren't looking to be part of the political or ruling circles, a spokesman, Col. Ahmed Ali, said Monday in a written statement.

While insisting they want no direct role in national politics, the military leaders appeared to be pressuring Morsy to restructure his government.

The steps could include reducing the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood in his Cabinet and calling early presidential and parliamentary elections, a source close to highly placed members of Egypt's leadership told CNN.

Violent clashes

The news came as reports surfaced of clashes between anti-Morsy protesters and Morsy's supporters in Cairo where anti-government demonstrators took to the streets for the third consecutive day calling for the country's first democratically elected president to step down.

At least seven people were killed and dozens more wounded in clashes late Tuesday at Cairo University, said Dr. Yehya Moussa, a spokesman for the Ministry of Health. Most of those killed died from gunshot wounds, he said.

Conflicting casualty reports during the day and into the evening put the death toll across Egypt anywhere from two to seven people killed and 144 wounded, according to Arab media and sources. CNN could not confirm the casualty counts.

The growing unrest prompted U.S. President Barack Obama's administration to urge Morsy to call early elections, while warning the Egyptian military that it risked losing U.S. aid if it carried out a coup, senior administration officials told CNN.

Opinion: Egyptians are fed up with Morsy

On Facebook, Morsy's Islamist-backed Freedom and Justice Party called for several nationwide rallies to support the leader. Thousands of his supporters poured into the streets in a Cairo suburb and at Cairo University.

Clashes were reported in at least one Cairo suburb between anti-government demonstrators and pro-Morsy protesters, according to Arab media.

Anti-Morsy protesters have gathered in huge numbers outside a presidential palace where Morsy has been working in recent days. They also have taken to other main squares in cities nationwide.

It was not clear whether Morsy was in the palace.

The anti-government group Tamarod, or "rebel," said in a posting on its Twitter account that Morsy "has no option but to leave" along with the prime minister and the Shura Council, the upper house of parliament.

In the face of the anti-government protests, which began over the weekend, five ministers announced their resignations Monday. The latest was Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr, Egypt's official Middle East News Agency reported.

Governments issue warnings against travel to Egypt

Thousands demonstrate

Demonstrations continued Tuesday in Cairo's Tahrir Square, where thousands of anti-Morsy protesters had massed, cheering as Apache helicopters buzzed the crowd.

The U.S. Embassy in Cairo, which has been closed since June 30, will remain closed on Wednesday.

The UK was warning against all but essential travel to Egypt, and Canada said it was closing its embassy until further notice "for security reasons."

Although the U.S. is urging Morsy to call new elections, it did not say Morsy should step down immediately, the senior Obama administration officials said.

"We are saying to him, 'Figure out a way to go for new elections,'" a senior official said. "That may be the only way that this confrontation can be resolved."

The officials said nothing in the Egyptian constitution gives Morsy the authority to call for new elections but said that may be the only way to end the crisis.

Opinion: In Egypt, rage must lead to game plan

A State Department spokeswoman, however, denied the assertion. "The reports that we have been urging early elections are inaccurate," Jen Psaki told reporters.

The officials said the United States has also warned the Egyptian military that a coup would trigger U.S. legislation that calls for cutting off all American aid.

Psaki acknowledged that "there are conditions on aid," but said, "That's way ahead of where we are in the process."

On Monday, Obama encouraged Morsy in a telephone call to ensure that his government represents all Egyptians, "including the many Egyptians demonstrating."

Morsy's government has insisted that its decisions are legitimate, because it was democratically elected.

Obama addressed this argument directly in his conversation with Morsy.

"He stressed that democracy is about more than elections," the statement said.

Obama reiterated to Morsy that the United States does not support any party or movement in Egypt, it said. He called for an end to violence on all sides and expressed particular concern about sexual assaults on women.

State-funded Egyptian daily Al-Ahram has reported 46 sexual assaults during anti-Morsy protests in Egypt since Sunday, citing the volunteer group Operation Anti-Sexual Harassment.

A Dutch journalist was reportedly raped Friday while covering protests, the Committee to Protect Journalists said. She was hospitalized and underwent surgery before flying back to the Netherlands.

Over the weekend, an Egyptian journalist died in a bomb attack on a Muslim Brotherhood office; four other local journalists were beaten and their camera equipment destroyed or stolen. Two Egyptian journalists were wounded by shotgun fire.

Morsy has few friends as deadline looms

Morsy's failings

Morsy, a U.S.-educated Islamist, was elected Egypt's president in June 2012, but critics say he has become increasingly authoritarian during his year in power.

And he has failed to revive Egypt's economy, which crashed when the 2011 uprising that toppled Mubarak drove tourists away.

That has disaffected many of his supporters among Egypt's poor and middle classes, said Fawaz Gerges, director of the Middle East Center at the London School of Economics.

"That some of the revolutionaries are calling on the army to return to politics is a testament to how polarized Egypt is a year after the election of Morsy," Gerges said. "Think of the millions of people who cheered Morsy after his election. Think of the millions of Egyptians who pinned their hopes on Morsy.

"A year later, now, the millions of Egyptians who cheered for Morsy are saying he must go."

Gerges questioned Morsy's ability to continue to lead but said he doubted the military would depose him. Such a move "would plunge Egypt into a greater legal, political and institutional crisis," he said.

The military will want to see the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood reduced in government and in the constitution, Gerges said.

Mubarak had long repressed the Islamic political movement, but it is now the nation's most powerful political force.

Anti-government demonstrators say they have collected 17 million signatures -- 4 million more than the number who voted Morsy into the presidency -- calling for him to go.

The opposition comprises various groups and loose coalitions, some of which are loyal to the ousted Mubarak government, while others want the army to intervene.

AbdulMawgoud Dardery, a former member of parliament and a Muslim Brotherhood representative, told CNN's "Amanpour" that the military could be an "honest broker" in a national dialogue. He said Morsy has reached out to opposition leaders many times, but the opposition "is afraid of democracy."

"It failed in the previous five elections we had in Egypt since the revolution, and they don't want to fail a sixth time," he said. "That's why they're going to street politics."

U.S. student killed in Egypt was enthralled with region

CNN's Tom Watkins, Ben Brumfield, Jamie Crawford, Schams Elwazer, Karen Smith, Elise Labott, Ben Wedeman, Ian Lee, Housam Ahmed and Salma Abdelaziz contributed to this report.

SOURCE: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/02/world/meast/egypt-protests/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

- - - Updated - - -

CONCLUSION: 1= morsy is willing to stay in power even if it means rivers of blood, and mind you the violence by the mb gangs has started.

2- the cunt that is morsy is playing that this is a military coup bec he simply cant see the millions in the freaking streets

3- the us admin position is very shaky and they r playing on this. when the admin waves the military Aid and morsy urges them to do this, you know morsy simply has nothing to do with being president of egypt.

4- right after his speech, pro morsy are calling for jihad and i quote " kill 1 or kill 100 morsy stays"

5- police officers are now being targeted by the mb clans.

i'm very disgusted, and i pray to god the coming few days pass safely and peacefully. egyptains will not rest until this guy goes, and i am confident that he is going to go.

i hope now you all know, who r the real terrorists, who are the people who change there words. they celebrate killing innocent civilians before coming to power and then change there words. we now know how has snipers who killed people in the revolution in 2011, we now know who attacked the police stations in the 2011 rev. we now know who are bigots. egyptains made a mistake to let this bastard stay in power for a year he should've left a long long long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. Holy smokes. Hang in there and stay safe, Ahmed. These are still very turbulent times... but a chance not to take the Iranian path for sure. :strong:
could'nt be truer :) the turbulent times have started however the people are very confident despite the show of terror we r witnessing before and during and after morsy's disgraceful speech where he threw the wall the safety of the people. here is proof there is nothing islamic about these pricks. the ultra conservative salafists have warned him!! and urged him to piss off and leave to protect egyptain blood but seems he does'nt hear or see anything and he is laying all his bets on the US administration ironically. i think fox news will have a parade tomorrow against obama and the mb bec they were the ones who showed there true colours when they showed morsy's video regarding 9/11 and jews.

the people are standing firm with the army and police, a scene that was never this close as it is now. there fore the military has insisted after the speech on the following:

1- the ultimatum ends tomorrow at 4:30 pm cairo local time
2- the army is responsible for the safety of the people and are going to do what there main job is " protect egyptain soil and egyptain souls"

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
worth reading..

Will Obama and US stand with or against Egypt's people?

By Michael Meunier
Published July 01, 2013
FoxNews.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013...t-egypt-people/?intcmp=trending#ixzz2XxBIyS2e

In a rare historic moment for humanity, the BBC reported on June 30, 2013, that “the number of anti-Muslim Brotherhood protesters today in Egypt is the largest number in a political event in the history of mankind.”

The Egyptian military used helicopters to track the protests across Egypt and estimated that the numbers of protesters was between 15-20 million. Other foreign media reported the number to be closer to 30 million.

Just like the 2011 revolution, the grass-roots “Tamarod” (meaning “rebellion”) movement, led by Egyptian young people and not affiliated with any political party, has spread like wildfire through the population.

The movement’s first spark came when it collected more than 22 million signatures for petitions demanding that President Morsi call for early elections after his failure to properly lead the country.

Morsi dismissed those petitions.

In response, the movement then called for protests on Sunday, June 30, and the Egyptian people responded with an historic display of solidarity.

Americans should be ecstatic at the widespread yearning for liberty expressed in the Tamarod protests. Yet to the Egyptian public, the U.S. government appears to be on the wrong side of the fence: it’s backing the Morsi regime.

Just two weeks before the protests began U.S. Ambassador Anne Patterson delivered a speech in Cairo expressing skepticism about "street action" that could result in violent protests, equating anti-Brotherhood protest with violence.

The very next day she had one of her frequent meetings with senior Muslim Brotherhood leader Khairat al-Shater, (a man who holds no official office and is widely disliked in Egypt for supporting leaders of the terrorist group “Islamic Jihad”). The group had threatened protesters, especially Christians, with violence if they attempted to topple Morsi.

As a result, the U.S. finds itself now disliked by a majority of Egyptians in the country. Patterson’s picture on protest placards was almost as ubiquitous as Morsi’s photos were on Sunday.

By the end of the day on June 30, at least 17 Egyptians had been killed and over 800 wounded as a result of clashes between Morsi’s supporters and the protesters.

Making good on threats made prior to the protests by regime supporters in the governorate of Assiut, the first martyr of the Tamarod movement was a Christian young man named “Abanoub Adel” who was shot during the protests.

When he took office a year ago, Morsi formed a government comprised largely of Muslim Brotherhood members or their supporters. He appointed governors from the ranks of his Muslim Brotherhood leadership and seemed to be trying to turn Egypt into a private state run primarily for the benefit of the Brotherhood.

He also formed a constitutional committee -- made up almost exclusively of Islamists -- that produced a draft constitution intended to entrench their notion of an Islamic state.

Morsi declared himself above the Egyptian courts, grasping a dictator’s powers, in order to push the constitutional referendum through parliament.

The response from the Obama administration to this power grab was muted at best.

Meanwhile, the Egyptian people have been subject to the rapid deterioration of their economy and a scarcity of basic supplies of goods and services.

With Egypt having used up almost all of its strategic oil reserves, citizens have to wait on the streets for days to get a tank of gas.

At the same time, Morsi has not only revived the human rights abuses of the Mubarak era, he has exceeded them.

Morsi has jailed his opposition opponents, silenced journalists, harassed critics and plundered business owners.

He has also ignored court orders to dissolve the illegitimate upper-house of parliament.

As they did in 2011, the Egyptian people have once again risen against another tyrant.

The saying goes and it is true that “as Egypt goes, so goes the Middle East.” That is why the United States invested billions of dollars in aid and military weaponry, because as the largest Arab country in the world Egypt is critical to the strategic interests of the United States.

What is happening in Egypt directly affects U.S. policy in the region.

Americans must not allow the Obama administration to support an unjust regime that has lost its legitimacy in the eyes of the Egyptian people, and now, the world.

The heart of the American tradition is freedom, liberty and justice. Today, the American people find their government supporting a regime that is antithetical to their values.

It’s time for President Obama to unmistakably call on Morsi to heed the voice of his people and call for early elections.

This is the only move that can repair the damage done by the current failed U.S. foreign policy and the only way to begin to undo the damage already done by U.S. Ambassador Patterson.

Michael Meunier is one of the opposition leaders in Egypt and head of Al-Haya political party.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013...t-egypt-people/?intcmp=trending#ixzz2XxBRV7RG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)