Edin Džeko - Wolfsburg - ST (21 Viewers)

Want him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
you guys give very much credit to a player who was only prolific for two seasons now ... i guess you all know that in the 28 games he played in the season 07/08 he did only score 8 goals, don't ya ?
Dude, he scored 65 goals after 07/08 season. What should a striker do else to get some recognition?

@some people who think Dzeko isn't worth the money that Wolfsburg are asking for him: Sadly, in today's football market, football players are way too expensive, and we can't get someone of Dzeko's quality for anything less than 30m.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
you guys give very much credit to a player who was only prolific for two seasons now ... i guess you all know that in the 28 games he played in the season 07/08 he did only score 8 goals, don't ya ?
Dude, he scored 65 goals after 07/08 season. What should a striker do else to get some recognition?

@some people who think Dzeko isn't worth the money that Wolfsburg are asking for him: Sadly, in today's football market, football players are way too expensive, and we can't get someone of Dzeko's quality for anything less than 30m.
I have to agree with Arif. There is too much caution there Virtual and too much pessimism.

You could be right that people might be expecting too much from Dzeko, but the way you put it wasn't right.
On 104 matches in the last 2 seasons for Wolfsburg and Bosnia he scored or assisted exactly 100 goals. You simply can't argue with that when you talk about someone who just turned 24.
The seasons when he was 19,20 or 21 don't count if he's directly involved in 100 goals in the following 2 seasons. He was a kid. Maybe he wasn't mentally prepared yet, maybe he wasn't given a right chance and was given substitute minutes which he didn't take. Whatever was the case, he proved that it's behind him and he grew up into a nice prolific attacker.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
do this (score +15 goals/season) in different clubs and not only in one clubs of mediocre status/level where the play is build around or for them
You are right but almost every world class striker played for a smaller club once and it wasn't a certainty that he'll make it in a big club. That's why experts, scouts, coaches who have seen and trained hundreds of players should take everything into consideration and make a prediction.

You are right that people have huge expectations that might not be fulfilled, but add a little positivism :)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
do this (score +15 goals/season) in different clubs and not only in one clubs of mediocre status/level where the play is build around or for them
So in your opinion we should wait until Dzeko switches two more clubs and see if he scores 15+ goals per season in each club before we make a decision to sign him?

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
i am always being very cautious because most of the time "the next saviour" is the next flop...

when i hear people say "he does not need a trequartista behind him or a creative second striker, he does it all by himself", then i wonder why 90% of his goals come from crosses or passes into the penalty box. he is no ronaldo (not the fat old one and not the gay one) and i say he does immensely profit from having misimovic as trequartista play into dzekos cards and probably got a good understanding with him (they speak the same language too)... i dare to say he wont score as many goals here with someone from a different culture and totally different language (as diego) behind him.

i think even 15 goals or more (in serie a) would be an achievement...

So in your opinion we should wait until Dzeko switches two more clubs and see if he scores 15+ goals per season in each club before we make a decision to sign him?
no, i just say "stop making him the new ronaldo", when he is not ... he is not someone who will shine without crosses or good passes into the box while players like ronaldo (the brazilian one) or ronaldo (the portuguese gay one) could be described like that, because they could really get the ball in a totally undangerous position and still create a goal for themselves ...

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
i am always being very cautious because most of the time "the next saviour" is the next flop...

when i hear people say "he does not need a trequartista behind him or a creative second striker, he does it all by himself", then i wonder why 90% of his goals come from crosses or passes into the penalty box. he is no ronaldo (not the fat old one and not the gay one) and i say he does immensely profit from having misimovic as trequartista play into dzekos cards and probably got a good understanding with him (they speak the same language too)... i dare to say he wont score as many goals here with someone from a different culture and totally different language (as diego) behind him.

I do not agree either with those people who say that Dzeko does it all by himself. But I don't see a big risk in signing him, even for 35m because even Pazzini (who I do not rate that high) costs like 25 mil at least. Dzeko is a risk I'm willing to take cuz he has all the attributes to succeed in Juve and be one of the top strikers in Europe (he already is imho). I'm against using Diego to get Dzeko though.

no, i just say "stop making him the new ronaldo", when he is not ... he is not someone who will shine without crosses or good passes into the box while players like ronaldo (the brazilian one) or ronaldo (the portuguese gay one) could be described like that, because they could really get the ball in a totally undangerous position and still create a goal for themselves ...
I never really labeled Dzeko as the "new Ronaldo" or whatever. Of course he will depend on other players too, as I do not expect him to go to our half and take the ball and dribble all the opposition players including the goalkeeper.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007

Come on, don't care what others make him out to be. You have your own eyes and enough experience in watching (and iirc, in playing) football. Why would you care what others think of Dzeko?
We know that he's not Ronaldo, and imo even 15 goals might be ok in his first season, but there is imo potential in this guy to score the goals. The way Ruud, Pippo, Trez etc did. Don't you think a player of that caliber is needed and don't you think that, if not in the first season then in the 2nd and on, he can become such a +20 goals player?

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
i think i never wrote that we should not sign him ... i'd like to see him here and if we have enough funds than i dont care for the price (as long as we still strengthen other departments)

its just that people dont rate pazzini because cassano does create for him and then they just see the number of goals dzeko scores and claim he does it all by himself ... sure how should they know that worlfsburgs success is not only dzekos performance but depending on misimovic at least the same way...

Come on, don't care what others make him out to be. You have your own eyes and enough experience in watching (and iirc, in playing) football. Why would you care what others think of Dzeko?
when people claim we could easily swap diego for him, because dzekos fantasy goal creating skills, i will reply. . .

We know that he's not Ronaldo, and imo even 15 goals might be ok in his first season, but there is imo potential in this guy to score the goals. The way Ruud, Pippo, Trez etc did.
i think he could do that, but i did hope we would not rely on pippo, trez and ruud-kind of players, because they score often, but not reliable, because the goals often come out of nothing (but thats not something you can create/force).

Don't you think a player of that caliber is needed
i think it does not matter if we get krasic (u know i do not rate him that high) and leave the striker department as is or if we get dzeko ...

actually i would be more secure that we would score more goals with decent wingers delivering for trez, amauri or iaquinta than just having dzeko without proper creative force playing into his cards (again remember he does not speak italian and will not have a trequartista behind him who has the same origin and mother tongue)

and don't you think that, if not in the first season then in the 2nd and on, he can become such a +20 goals player?
i think that this is possible but it does depend on our other moves on the market more than if we said "yay, we got our +20 goals scorer .. we will rule.. no need to buy other players, uuuh right, we do not have money for that anyways"

and to come up with another statistic ... dzeko had another very dangerous striker play besides him who did score 28 goals in 25 games in 2008/2009... so the defenders surely did not only concentrate on him as only goal threat while playing for us he might be the only real threat and being doubled more often.

the funny thing is .. grafite (the other dangerous striker) did only achieve this goal number once in his life, which tells me that the goals had more to do with a very well gelled team than the strikers being uberhuman.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
AFAIK, Trez scored exactly 14 goals in his first season, and he proved to be alright in the future, didn't he?
don't start a fight about how many new topscorers did actually proof their worth ... you should know by yourself that not even 10% of "the next blabla" will ever by worth whats paid for them... just naming one example does not make the probability of dzekos success any higher

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)