Ebola Outbreak (9 Viewers)

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
So it was okey to give ZMapp to the Americans, but it has to be tested for side effects for the African people.. they are dying FFS who gives a shit about side effects, it can't be worse than death no matter what.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
the wrong assumption here is that the CDC is different than other organisms in having survival as their 1st priority, theres no noble goal here, they will engage in lies and any kind of unethical behavior so long as they survive and get funded.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Its simple. Its insanely expensive cause its in its testphase. Amerika funds it partially for protection of its own people if an outbreak would occur in the states, but they have no interest in sending it to afrika.

Funding the production of this medicine in larget amounts for the afrikan victims, would be a pretty efficient charity.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #86
    Plus they did not need to ship the American ebola victims here, they provided the first dose of ZMapp to them in Liberia. So that was a silly risk to take despite the low chances of someone making a mistake.

X is right, the CDC is just another political organization really.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Its simple. Its insanely expensive cause its in its testphase. Amerika funds it partially for protection of its own people if an outbreak would occur in the states, but they have no interest in sending it to afrika.

Funding the production of this medicine in larget amounts for the afrikan victims, would be a pretty efficient charity.
    To be fair, it also would come under the specter of the Tuskegee syphilis experiment... using Africans as guinea pigs at a safe distance for medical research.

Though to actually get any real science out of such a distribution, you'd have to send in trained teams with controlled environments to collect data, ensure follow-up care, record cases, and expose to some really deadly-ass sheeet in Africa. None of which are high on a desirability list, let alone are they immediately possible.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    Plus they did not need to ship the American ebola victims here, they provided the first dose of ZMapp to them in Liberia. So that was a silly risk to take despite the low chances of someone making a mistake.

X is right, the CDC is just another political organization really.
    Yeah i dont get why they did that. Its not like its a massive operation or chemo. Basic medical care +ZMapp will do.

Also, ZMapp, like existing attempted threatments, are only effective in the incubation phase. When the virulent phase kicks in (4days-4weeks later), it doesnt do much and the patient has 83%+ chance of dying.

Furthermore, patients only become contagious when in that virulent phase. Only then the virus will be in the bodely fluids and becomes a danger for direct contact.
    So why ship him all the way here, knowing the patient was in its incubation phase, and could have moved a step further. add the preparations wich delayed the shipment.
    Bringing the ZMapp to africa and administer it there, would be far more reasonable.

Again, Ebola is not a disease wich can can be succesfull in first world country's, cause of the way it spreads, but bringing a potentially virulent patient here is a stupid risk we should not take.

- - - Updated - - -

There about 2 thousand cases, how much could it cost?
    Remove any case in virulent phase

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    Oh please, Dokters without Borders and other medical response teams easely bring that along.

I'm talking about a hospital bed, IV setup, monitoring device. Thats enough as far as care goes, and not rocket science.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember, we arent talking surgery here. That is an entirely different situation.

Ebola treatment as it stands, is various system floods trough IV's with different antibiotics, hoping the body can overcome it before it goes virulent. And thats all there is to it.

Its not so different from how Cholera is treated both in the bushes and in hospitals. Antibiotics, immune system boosting medication(steroids), and most important : an IV of a salt solution, to combat hydration wich is the actual killer : The body dehydrates and weakens before it can overcome the disease.

Ebola is different and the same in current treatment (before ZMapp). flood it with antibiotics if its in incubation phase, and hope you'll slow down the growth enough for the system to kill it off.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Any life-threatening illness or injury, and you head home for intensive medical care for what likely would be a long recovery surrounded by family, friends, and medical professionals who know your health history. Why is ebola any different than anything else?

Sounds like mystic fear-mongering to me. "She gotz the curse of the jackal! Begone, unclean witch!"

It's not 1742 anymore, Zach.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    What Greg said. The virus is pretty hard to spread under controlled circumstances so why not being the guy home? I'd rather be in America if I were him too.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #93
    If the virus is difficult to spread under normal conditions, then how did the two American patients contract the virus in the first place? They were wearing full protective gear, you know.

Something doesn't add up. Either someone spiked his food or deliberately contaminated him, or the virus is more easily spread than you think. It may not be airborne but it is obviously very contagious.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    The dude was a doctor in Africa. Must've came into contact with some patient's bodily fluids. It happens, there's nurses in the US who get HIV because they accidentally prick themselves with a contaminated syringe.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Most doctors usually don't administer care from behind a glass wall in a clean room. And any protective suit is only as good as the procedures you follow to put it on, keep it sealed, and safely remove and dispose of it. Lots of failures can happen along the way.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #96
    I'm sure they follow relatively standard decontamination techniques, similar to the hazmat units in the US after responding to an anthrax scare or the like, washing down outside away from the hot zone. It's not like they suddenly become idiots just because they're in Africa.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Well then again, they still have AIDS running riot through the populations of Liberia, Sierra Leon, etc.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    What Greg said. The virus is pretty hard to spread under controlled circumstances so why not being the guy home? I'd rather be in America if I were him too.
    Excuse me but i was probably the first that said it the most times, how Ebola is a third world disease and has no chance in the first world, so its not "what greg said".

I think you should read more of my posts here, as i've put efford in trying to explain it has no chance, but is the second most lethal micro organism in history when reaching its virulent phase, wich is when we see symptoms

Am i afraid of a US epidemic ? Fuck no. But IF you contract the pathogen, you HAVE FUCKING 83% CHANCE OF FUCKING DYING BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT DIAGNOSE IT IN TIME.

for fucks sake

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure they follow relatively standard decontamination techniques, similar to the hazmat units in the US after responding to an anthrax scare or the like, washing down outside away from the hot zone. It's not like they suddenly become idiots just because they're in Africa.
    THis is exactly my point.

It wont give an epidemic, but look here, all the precautions in the world, and still got infected cause handeling the patient.

QUARANTINE. Eighter the guy dies in africa, or comes home healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)