Ebola Outbreak (1 Viewer)

BillyG

Caribbean Ultra
Nov 25, 2006
ßöмßäяðîëя;4654181 said:
Realistically, the world could use like a one or two billion drop in population.

Mostly in the Mexico/India/China/Brazil areas.
mostly in the top 1% of every nation.

Also, I don't understand how an airline which operates in such a heavily regulated industry can be taking so long to provide a passenger list especially considering the nature of the situation

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Ebola is only an issue for third world country's, and developping country's.

Its excessively easy to avoid or controll in developped nations.
Even if its the most lethal disease in history

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Ebola is only an issue for third world country's, and developping country's.

Its excessively easy to avoid or controll in developped nations.
Even if its the most lethal disease in history
You think it'll have a similar effect on developed nations as the swine flu? I don't know man, 90% mortality rate...

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
You think it'll have a similar effect on developed nations as the swine flu? I don't know man, 90% mortality rate...
Ebola has 1 big pro, and 2 insanely big cons

The pro is that it only gets transmitted by direct contact with bodily fluids. And the incubation time is usually relatively short. This means on one hand its quite the issue for developping country's who wish to do the ritual funerals, instead of burning, allowing it to spread.
On the other side, its relatively easy to quarantine in regions where the population understands "83% mortality rate regardless of threatment when discovered after incubation time.
You see, unlike the flu, ebola needs to have passed to the next stage to infect its next victim. This means one victim cannot directly infect everyone it encounters at first, but it will do that when a few days have passed. This is the current issue, with locals hiding infected people and corpses allowing it to spread and build up to spread more.
If you directly quarantine anyone who came in contact with the victim, and do the japaneese way (with the flu back then) to forbid shaking hands etc and not touch others, the virus simply cannot spread.

Not touching strangers literally means the disease cannot spread.

What are the cons ?

1) It has the second highest mortality rate ever after threatment for a micro organism , with only Primary amebic meningoencephalitis from Naegleria fowleri surpassing it.
2) Unlike spanish flu or the plague, like rabies, ebola can survive in other hosts then humans, without harming them, wich means they effectively got a plan b that makes it impossible to excinct them like we did with small pocks.

Rabies is carried by foxes. Ebola is carried by something else, wich at this point is unknown. You might read "bats" but thats batshit stupid. "when they dont know they'll say bats are the hosts" , quote from university of antwerp's virology professor.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
There are dozens of diseases out there you are much more likely to contract and die of, not to speak of other nonviral health issues such as autoimmune diseases or cancer.

We just have to try not being worried about the fact that any day our health may be gone, and minimise the risk thereof by living a healthy and responsible lifestyle.

I'm not meaning to devalue the graveness of all these deaths or belittle the victims, but from what experience and common sense tells me is that all of these epidemics or new killer viruses such as Ebola, swine flu, bird flu, etc. have mostly been media fearmongering.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Ebola has 1 big pro, and 2 insanely big cons

The pro is that it only gets transmitted by direct contact with bodily fluids. And the incubation time is usually relatively short. This means on one hand its quite the issue for developping country's who wish to do the ritual funerals, instead of burning, allowing it to spread.
On the other side, its relatively easy to quarantine in regions where the population understands "83% mortality rate regardless of threatment when discovered after incubation time.
You see, unlike the flu, ebola needs to have passed to the next stage to infect its next victim. This means one victim cannot directly infect everyone it encounters at first, but it will do that when a few days have passed. This is the current issue, with locals hiding infected people and corpses allowing it to spread and build up to spread more.
If you directly quarantine anyone who came in contact with the victim, and do the japaneese way (with the flu back then) to forbid shaking hands etc and not touch others, the virus simply cannot spread.

Not touching strangers literally means the disease cannot spread.

What are the cons ?

1) It has the second highest mortality rate ever after threatment for a micro organism , with only Primary amebic meningoencephalitis from Naegleria fowleri surpassing it.
2) Unlike spanish flu or the plague, like rabies, ebola can survive in other hosts then humans, without harming them, wich means they effectively got a plan b that makes it impossible to excinct them like we did with small pocks.

Rabies is carried by foxes. Ebola is carried by something else, wich at this point is unknown. You might read "bats" but thats batshit stupid. "when they dont know they'll say bats are the hosts" , quote from university of antwerp's virology professor.
I cannot even begin to fathom why these funeral rites are allowed to continue, just as they were in previous outbreaks too. I thought it was confirmed to be from other primates?

There are dozens of diseases out there you are much more likely to contract and die of, not to speak of other nonviral health issues such as autoimmune diseases or cancer.

We just have to try not being worried about the fact that any day our health may be gone, and minimise the risk thereof by living a healthy and responsible lifestyle.

I'm not meaning to devalue the graveness of all these deaths or belittle the victims, but from what experience and common sense tells me is that all of these epidemics or new killer viruses such as Ebola, swine flu, bird flu, etc. have mostly been media fearmongering.
It's bound to happen one day.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

Depends where you live. If AFL would live in africa he has every right to be afraid. However, in the west, its mostly the media with their bullshit trying to scare people cause it sells more newspapers, and thats it.

Stories about meat getting contaminated and pandemics, its bullshit. Ebony is insanely dangerous, but only third world occupants will get infected.

I cannot even begin to fathom why these funeral rites are allowed to continue, just as they were in previous outbreaks too. I thought it was confirmed to be from other primates?
They dont allow these rites to continue. The medical teams send there give clear instructions to those with the symptoms to come in and get quaranteened, and that corpses should be burned without touching them.

However, the issue with third world country's is that people arent educated and dont understand the issue. the"ll rather believe medicine men and ritual funerals. And this very fact, is why the disease is spreading, and why its third world and will stay third world.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Ebony is dangerous, but Jet is far more lethal. :skull:

No, seriously. This is a classic case of superstition, cultural ignorance of science, and poor government policy being the most dangerous factors of it spreading.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Depends where you live. If AFL would live in africa he has every right to be afraid. However, in the west, its mostly the media with their bullshit trying to scare people cause it sells more newspapers, and thats it.
If he were to live in Africa he'd have much more reason to be afraid of Ebola indeed, but it would still be wiser to primarily watch out for Malaria and Cholera and the likes.

It's just that whenever there's something new and exotic, it gets hyped up to no end while the ordinary it pretty much always much more important and all too often overlooked. It's understandable, both for the masses and the media pushing it, but it leads to issues being completely blown out of proportion.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
If he were to live in Africa he'd have much more reason to be afraid of Ebola indeed, but it would still be wiser to primarily watch out for Malaria and Cholera and the likes.

It's just that whenever there's something new and exotic, it gets hyped up to no end while the ordinary it pretty much always much more important and all too often overlooked. It's understandable, both for the masses and the media pushing it, but it leads to issues being completely blown out of proportion.
But that's the thing, aside from something like meningitis, what else do I have to fear? Speaking solely of diseases, because I have much more of a chance of getting shot in a mugging 4 blocks from my house than contracting anything like that at this point. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)