Ebola Outbreak (5 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
But that's the thing, aside from something like meningitis, what else do I have to fear? Speaking solely of diseases, because I have much more of a chance of getting shot in a mugging 4 blocks from my house than contracting anything like that at this point. :p
Well, just because you don't have to fear Ebola doesn't mean that you have to fear other diseases ;). Even if the flu or an Ecoli infection (I'm not sure if that counts as disease from a medical point of view but I digress) is much more likely to kill you, chances are still pretty low. I'm just trying to say that people should try not be put in fear by any of these things. I know that fear is everything else than a purely rational response that's easily controlable, but it still helps to put things in perspective.

Hypothetically speaking, if you really want to be afraid of something that has a realistic chance of killing you, cancer or driving a car would be a reasonable choice :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Well, just because you don't have to fear Ebola doesn't mean that you have to fear other diseases ;). Even if the flu or an Ecoli infection (I'm not sure if that counts as disease from a medical point of view but I digress) is much more likely to kill you, chances are still pretty low. I'm just trying to say that people should try not be put in fear by any of these things. I know that fear is everything else than a purely rational response that's easily controlable, but it still helps to put things in perspective.

Hypothetically speaking, if you really want to be afraid of something that has a realistic chance of killing you, cancer or driving a car would be a reasonable choice :D
Assuming you're talking about a normal seasonal flu, I have quite a few years left until something like that can kill me :D. Cancer though, yeah.

It doesn't help that I fear disease and work in a pharmacy :shifty:

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
If it does it's much much more likely to be some kind of highly contagious airborne disease, rather than something transmitted through bodily fluids.
While such a disease is probably bound to appear a some point, what I think is really going to fuck us up in the foreseeable future with relative certainty are antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
If he were to live in Africa he'd have much more reason to be afraid of Ebola indeed, but it would still be wiser to primarily watch out for Malaria and Cholera and the likes.

It's just that whenever there's something new and exotic, it gets hyped up to no end while the ordinary it pretty much always much more important and all too often overlooked. It's understandable, both for the masses and the media pushing it, but it leads to issues being completely blown out of proportion.
Well ebola dates back from 1976 so its not that new :D

But Cholera can be treathed rather easely with K&Ca IV's, where malaria got a clear treatment aswel. Both are also in the memory of the immume cells

Ebola is barely treatable past incubation time

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Well ebola dates back from 1976 so its not that new :D

But Cholera can be treathed rather easely with K&Ca IV's, where malaria got a clear treatment aswel. Both are also in the memory of the immume cells

Ebola is barely treatable past incubation time
If he were to live in Africa, odds are he wouldn't have access to adequate medical care ;)

Yeah, you're right it's not new, but it still falls into the category of scary exotic killer virus :D

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I'd love to do that several times in succession to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to try this Ebola stuff. Sounds fucken fun.

So you guys still afraid of bird+pig flu?
overhyped media bullshit

I'm still waiting for the SARS pandemic.
same

Anti-biotic resistant bacteria will be a big problem. :agree:
If you are a healthy male you wouldnt care less, since all known bacteria resistant to penicillin or methycillin are not an issue for the immune system

If your immune system is shut down by something and you get an opportunity infection from a bad strain of staphilococcus aureus, or you have an infection above the blood barrier, and you contract a pathogen that is resistant to the intravenous antibiotics you get, you will quite simply die.

My niece needed surgery for a cyst in the skull just above the eye. The skull section had to be removed the third time it kept inflammating.
She's currently in the hospital for the removal of the skull section, wich will be replaced with a titanium protese.

If she catches MRSA, she'll die..

So yes ALC, it IS a big problem and i hope you werent sarcastic

Dont believe politicians lol. Ebola wont make it out of the third world for long cause its quarantined and locked down to easely.

If it even manages to get out of africa in the first place, wich is rather difficult

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)