Earth at Night (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I've blown up one part. Note the Korean north/south divide. The North Koreans steadfastly deny that they have electricity problems, but they keep their citizens in the dark (literally). They also deny report of famine, and torture of prisoners.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I saw a program on North Korea on tv, recently, and the impression I got was so bad that I struggle to believe that nothing in the program was exaggerated. The simple answer is no. The film crew making the program I saw walked into a school and asked the kids a few questions. They see the whole world as a pretty nasty place, out to get them. But they'll bomb them first. Scary stuff.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I once saw a documentary on North Korea as well - The crew was there on invitation of the government. The entire time they ran into fixed occasions. They would go into a shop and suddenly, a lot of customers with tons of money would come in and buy all sorts of fancy products.

Of course, they normally only have enough money for a loaf of bread or something. Some fine acting going on there.

Sickening.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I saw worse. Interviews with defectors and people who ran from the country which suggested that concentration camps are in use, and that a traitor's family are punished for three generations (in said camps :frown: ), and that prisoners are used as test subjects for chemical weapons.

I really, really don't want to know how much of that is just propaganda - the program was made by my national broadcaster, which suggests no reason for bias to me. :(

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
My feelings exactly. It leaves me with a sick feeling in my stomach I normally associate with considerable stress. :yuck:

I just wonder if Bush hit the wrong country. If I could justify invading any country to myself, that would be the one.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Invading might be a bit harsh. If I were Bush I'd send in a couple of SEAL troops to take out the leaders and then spark a little revolution here and there.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Well yes that's true but Bush can't send troops to Korea right now. Overstretching and empire will lead to its fall and if even Rome can fall then there's no reason to assume Washington stands free of those unwritten laws.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Oh, I know that. As it stands, the US armed forces are at their logistical limit - they can't provide food and supplies for many more overseas troops than they already have. So any move against yet another country has to wait until they've set Iraq back on its feet.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
If I were Bush, I'd mind my own damn business.
Why? If people in a country are being brainwashed into believing that the whole world is decadent, and wants to destroy them, or who are too terrified of the state police to say otherwise, who are living in poverty and starvation because of their dictator's policies, do you feel no obligation to try to help them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)