Earth at Night (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Yes, I've seen similar images before, and it looks realistic. Of course, it's computer generated, because a satellite can't photograph the whole world at once - and half of it would be in daylight anyhow(!!) - but it's compiled from sattellite photos.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

That, or you non-Europeans need to stop living in the dark. There's only 450,000,000 of us, and 5,550,000,000 of you.:)

Okay, this is a slightly tangental issue, but an important one none-the-less. Firstly, the USA's motives aren't really in question here. When Republican committees churn out lines suggesting the invasion of Iraq "to secure strategic oil reserves" as early as the mid-ninties, I can't see humanitarianism as their top priority.

That isn't important. It's the effects that matter, not the cause or the motivation of those involved. Yes, Afganistan (which the US has allocated an aid budget this year of approximately $3.95, give or take a few dollers - and no, I'm not missing an 'm', or a 'b') is a mangled wreck, and Iraq is currently being steered into a hole they'll spend the next century climbing out of, but I didn't, and don't agree with the invasion of either country.

Britain already screwed up Iraq when they carved it up in the first place. Look at Iraq on a map. Its borders are straight as an arrow, adn it's not a coincidence - Iraq is an artificial state, made up of a number of distinct ethnic groups. With Sadam gone, these groups should be seperated, but instead they'll get lumped in together and probably wind up beating the hell out of eachother again.

Now look at North and South Korea. Again, we have an artificial state, but this time it's one ethnic group that's split in two. Unification of the states is natural. While we're at it, Gray, do you have anything to add on this - you're from S. Korea, right?

The second thing to note is that South Korea is rich. In other words, you have a big source of money to rebuild the North if they're reunited (which, as far as I know, is why the south prefer things as they are(!)). A prosperous country is rarely a problem in these days. I'd also referance the reunification of Germany here.

I don't think they can work out naturally, at least not for a long time. The people of North Korea are kept in ignorance, and feat of the outside world. Ignorant people won't rise up. There's one guy (a Korean, I can't remember from which side), working from Japan, who'se been flying radios into N. Korea for a few years now, in the hope that they'll help these people find out the truth.

The ruling party there accused Bush of threatening a nuclear first strike on the country. They're quite open about the fact that they're producing weapons-grade plutonium, and it's estimated that they have enough for 6-8 bombs big enough to take out a decent-sized city.

It's great that you think your government is wrong. North Koreans don't have that luxery.

Besides stating so many facts and, not agreeing with me that things will work out naturally -which i dont mind :) - (i mean from within their people reaching out instead of an invasion), WHAT'S your point? :D

I agree completely. i know what the USA's motives are (the fact that the USA gov and the f'ed-up media here are lying to the public ticks me off)

I'm shocked the gov even spent that much!! :D (all the aid is from public donations, god bless them). Yes, the effect does matter. and that's what i implied: things aren't getting better.

It's a shame about the damn post WW1 border making. i feel sorry most for the curds. they live in terrible shape in between 3 countries!! Iraq, Syria, and Turkey!!
Britain also screwed up India...

Things have to implode sometime. you can't say that it won't get better.

anyhow, my main problem is that so many countries fear has made every country cautious. The USA wants everyone to be like them in the ignorant argument that their way of life is better (for Economical/dependancy reasons obviously and for eventually broadening political power). Other countries dont want that control so they rebel and it just makes shit worse!!

"where is the love?"

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
Besides stating so many facts and, not agreeing with me that things will work out naturally -which i dont mind :) - (i mean from within their people reaching out instead of an invasion), WHAT'S your point? :D
That the invasion of N. Korea wouldn'y be a total waste of time, as you said.

I agree completely. i know what the USA's motives are (the fact that the USA gov and the f'ed-up media here are lying to the public ticks me off)
The fact that people can see that means that there's hope for the country. Compair that to our hot potatoe of the day, N. Korea, where Kim something or other, dictator for life, mark two, has recently been reelected for the 8th (or so) consecutive time. Every house has a picture of the two Kims. They're venerated like nothing else I've seen outside of religion.

Yes, the effect does matter. and that's what i implied: things aren't getting better.
Which is why I said that I didn't and don't agree with the invasions of Iraq and Afganistan, and why I gave reasons why I felt that North Korea was/is differant from these two basket-cases.

It's a shame about the damn post WW1 border making. i feel sorry most for the curds. they live in terrible shape in between 3 countries!! Iraq, Syria, and Turkey!!
Britain also screwed up India...
No, I think India screwed up India. It split when it became independant of Britain without preperly defined borders. Kashmir is still disputed. The thing is, India isn't a country in the sense we understand. It's a conglomeration. There are thousands of distinct languages and cultures there. The national language is English, because they've nothing else in common!

Things have to implode sometime. you can't say that it won't get better.
Who'll make it implode? Economics? Maybe - as with the Soviet Union. The people? Who amoung them? They don't learn better until they've been driven to the point where they decide to defect or run for the border.

anyhow, my main problem is that so many countries fear has made every country cautious. The USA wants everyone to be like them in the ignorant argument that their way of life is better (for Economical/dependancy reasons obviously and for eventually broadening political power). Other countries dont want that control so they rebel and it just makes shit worse!!
And that's wrong. I think maybe you underestimate the value of living in a society which allows you to say that, to think that, to write that.

For that reason alone I support EU expansion. It's also why I don't think N. Korea has a right to nationhood.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

Bermuda ;)

And there's 5.500.000 Europeans, not 4 and half if I recall correctly.
i think there are more than five and a half million europeans Erik ;)

That's a bit more than the capital of Saudi Arabia :p

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
Bermuda ;)
Thanks! I hadn't realised it was that far out.

And there's 5.500.000 Europeans, not 4 and half if I recall correctly.
Man, there are twice that many Europeans in London, and that's before you count the rats. :)

I was counting the populations of the expanded EU. Your figure is probably closer to the right one for the whole continent.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

No, I think India screwed up India. It split when it became independant of Britain without preperly defined borders. Kashmir is still disputed. The thing is, India isn't a country in the sense we understand. It's a conglomeration. There are thousands of distinct languages and cultures there. The national language is English, because they've nothing else in common!
The problem is that Britain was there to begin with. i think deviding into pakistan......etc. was the better choice. the initial division was based on religion. i think it's better to seperate them, THEN work together to find peace because the minority couldn't be governed by an opposite mentality. When harmony is lost, deviding is the least worst option. but deviding should only be done when the people are happy with it (unlike the situation with the curds in syria, iraq and turkey). After deviding, peace can then be restored. which is the plan in Palestine/Isreal, but they're facing problems in the deviding plan. that's why things are getting worse.

Who'll make it implode? Economics? Maybe - as with the Soviet Union. The people? Who amoung them? They don't learn better until they've been driven to the point where they decide to defect or run for the border.
that's the idea. as bad as it is, and as bad as it gets, it will eventually work out. with Iraq, it'll never work out because of the US influence. (they can't leave are things will get bad, and they shouldn't stay because they'll the government that will be made by them will be US bias and that isn't gonna make things right in the long run.

And that's wrong. I think maybe you underestimate the value of living in a society which allows you to say that, to think that, to write that.
not wrong at all. people naturaly form different cultures. cultures shouldn't be forced to follow others. dont confuse this with econimical unity and harmony between people.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Woops sorry, I meant billion of course. There's just too many zeroes to be typed there: I got all confused :D

mikhail: yeah, the numbers are complicated. There's the EU, the EU + expansion, the entire Continent and does that include Turkey and a part of Russia or not?

It's insane really.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
The things that I noticed were the crazy amount of lights in Japan, and the surprisingly high number of lights outside of the east coast of Australia.

Of course this pic was compiled from satellite photos guys... remember the whole Earth ain't dark at one time :LOL: Maybe they should've taken these pics when it was actually as dark as it gets in all places. Look at the west side of North America. They make it look uninhabited.

Guys, what the heck is this light?
There's no light there mikhail, your monitor's got a busted pixel :D

I've blown up one part. Note the Korean north/south divide. The North Koreans steadfastly deny that they have electricity problems, but they keep their citizens in the dark (literally). They also deny report of famine, and torture of prisoners.
I've got a book about North Korea and the way they treat their people. It's actually written by a woman who was sent to prison and suffered all kinds of torture. It's disgusting to say the least, the way they torture their people. Saddam and Bin Laden have nothing on these guys.

++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
I agree that the N. Koreans are in bad shape, but for things to change for the better, the people themselves (not my Nosey government) should start a revolution when THE people are ready so things can get back together and they can help themselves.
It's not gonna happen, because the people are brainwashed from childhood that the Kims are supreme leaders, and they care for the country. At least the people of Iraq have a hint of rebellion in their blood. North Koreans don't know the meaning of the word.

Personally I would love to see the overthrow of the North Korean government. I don't really know how i'd feel if North America invaded the country, but that's one end result at which I'd be cheering and screaming.

That the invasion of N. Korea wouldn'y be a total waste of time, as you said.

N. Korea, where Kim something or other, dictator for life, mark two, has recently been reelected for the 8th (or so) consecutive time. Every house has a picture of the two Kims. They're venerated like nothing else I've seen outside of religion.
Actually it's not really outside of religion. Their official religion is to worship Kim Jong-Il and Kim Il-Sung, and that's why no revolution will ever happen. This is a country where children report their parents to the government for saying anything bad about the country or its government.

If anyone's really interested in finding out what goes on in North Korea, particularly its prisons, I'd be glad to mail you the book i was talking about

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
:eek: That sounds like 1984, gray..
Yes it's very much like 1984, including the surveillance...minus of course the food and jobs.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Yes. South Korean soldiers at the border played the radio as loud as possible towards North Korea during the world cup.

Oh yes, I also heard that they constructed an amusement park at the border, where everyone could see. Problem is, nobody's ever seen any lights turn on or people playing in there. Sort of like that documentary u guys were talking about, where they stage events like people acting all rich and stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)