Dubai Virgin Radio Dj fired for offensive comments on god (13 Viewers)

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
I get the feeling some people enjoy freedom of speech just for the sake of it. It's like if I gave a 5 year old the permission to eat as much candy as he wants. He would be the happiest person on earth and he would laugh at all the other kids without knowing that he's harming himself.

Having grown up in Sweden I have no problems with the idea of free speech at all. My only problem with it is that it's increasingly used in the wrong way. What good comes out of making a cartoon of the man held at the utmost respect to billions people? Is it for the sake of art? Is it for the 10 secs of chuckles some people have? What good comes from it?

Why not draw a picture of a black man being turned down for a job position when he's equally qualified as the white man that got the job? Why not draw a picture of how a woman gets paid less for doing the same job as a man? All those would be perfect uses of free speech.

actually because its so crass and out there, I think I would laugh.

t

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
Do you consider South and Central America part of the West? Christianity is very alive in those regions.

It's really not a question of validity of religion. Christianity is no more valid than Islam considering they represent the same things at their simplest.

It's really a question of affluence. The countries in which religion is struggling tend to be very affluent. They have good medical care, good social programs, a decent education system, and people tend to have other options in their lives than religion. These nations also tend to be much more socially, ethnically, and racially diverse than others.

Now take a look at the nations where religion is thriving, be it Christianity or Islam. Most of the nations in the Middle East, South/Central America, and Africa are developing. Even though some Middle Eastern countries are wealthy the majority lives in poverty and doesn't have the same access to social systems such as health care or education. The people then are indirectly forced to seek help from the only source available... the church. Whether Christian or Islamic churches provide much to people in these areas. The provide health care, an education of some sort, and most of all hope and the ability to look toward something better.

It's not a question of whether the East is more moral than the West. There's no difference in morality. The difference is in wealth.

Now that does bring some very interesting questions. Does wealth breed immorality? Can someone lead a moral life without religion? Two very interesting questions with many answers.
The idea of an afterlife being much better and satifying than what i live now, the community and unity of people and a belief- a nice package, non?

Jun 13, 2007
Hate to say this but I guess I might as well since we're all being so frank with each other these days: Christianity is a dying religion and it's not surprising. 99% of my friends from 'Christian' part of the world are atheists. The 1% that does believe in God has rejected church entirely.

If you make cartoons depicting Jesus the only people to complain would be the Pope and Bible Belt America...heck I'll throw in parts of Australia just for the heck of it. Everyone else could give rats ass about it and these people are the majority now. They'll probably be offended by "knock knock" joke before they're offended by a depiction of Jesus taking a dump.
Christian parts of the world? If you are referring to the States then yes, Christianity is a dying religion. This is more or less due to the diversity of cultures in the United States. I think it's a fallacious generalization when you say Christians don't give a rat's ass about their religion anymore.

With all do respect, I think Christians in general, live in much more civilized countries than Muslims. They are far more fammiliar to freedom of speech and non-believers than than Muslim countries, typically, they have learned to live with the non-believers, the muslims, the Hindus, the Jews etc.. While in contrast, Muslims are confined in purely Muslim areas therefore the idea of anyone not accepting Islam is unheard of, let alone the idea of people mocking it.

If someone bad-mouthed my country or religion, I wouldn't go burn down his house or murder his family. As a human being, I have more sense than that.

Do you consider South and Central America part of the West? Christianity is very alive in those regions.

It's really not a question of validity of religion. Christianity is no more valid than Islam considering they represent the same things at their simplest.

It's really a question of affluence. The countries in which religion is struggling tend to be very affluent. They have good medical care, good social programs, a decent education system, and people tend to have other options in their lives than religion. These nations also tend to be much more socially, ethnically, and racially diverse than others.

Now take a look at the nations where religion is thriving, be it Christianity or Islam. Most of the nations in the Middle East, South/Central America, and Africa are developing. Even though some Middle Eastern countries are wealthy the majority lives in poverty and doesn't have the same access to social systems such as health care or education. The people then are indirectly forced to seek help from the only source available... the church. Whether Christian or Islamic churches provide much to people in these areas. The provide health care, an education of some sort, and most of all hope and the ability to look toward something better.

It's not a question of whether the East is more moral than the West. There's no difference in morality. The difference is in wealth.

Now that does bring some very interesting questions. Does wealth breed immorality? Can someone lead a moral life without religion? Two very interesting questions with many answers.
When a human is content, satisfied, and happy, what need does he have for religion? How can religion help him achieve more success in his life? Why would he sacrifice his comforts for something intangible? The purely materialistic attitude adopted in the west is the primary cause for atheism. In the east, people value spiritual values a lot more than material values. They seek eternal and divine happiness; this is because they have never prioritized financial power as much as the west.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
When a human is content, satisfied, and happy, what need does he have for religion? How can religion help him achieve more success in his life? Why would he sacrifice his comforts for something intangible? The purely materialistic attitude adopted in the west is the primary cause for atheism. In the east, people value spiritual values a lot more than material values. They seek eternal and divine happiness; this is because they have never prioritized financial power as much as the west.
I'm confused. You're saying people are content, satisfied and happy. And this results from materialism, and results in atheism. So if materialism is the road to happiness, why isn't everyone on it?

Jun 13, 2007
I'm confused. You're saying people are content, satisfied and happy. And this results from materialism, and results in atheism. So if materialism is the road to happiness, why isn't everyone on it?
Everyone is on the road to materialism, in the West at least.

Happiness varies depending on the person. Some people don't give two shits about making money.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
The opposite is just as relevant.

Sure, good point :tup:

Christian parts of the world? If you are referring to the States then yes, Christianity is a dying religion. This is more or less due to the diversity of cultures in the United States. I think it's a fallacious generalization when you say Christians don't give a rat's ass about their religion anymore.
You're confusing the two things I said. I said that Christianity is a dying religion and by that I mean in Europe and United States. The other thing I said was that because of the small numbers of actual Christians there isn't much outrage when people offend Christianity and I'll add that perhaps they're just so used to it since it happens pretty frequently.

With all do respect, I think Christians in general, live in much more civilized countries than Muslims. They are far more fammiliar to freedom of speech and non-believers than than Muslim countries, typically, they have learned to live with the non-believers, the muslims, the Hindus, the Jews etc.. While in contrast, Muslims are confined in purely Muslim areas therefore the idea of anyone not accepting Islam is unheard of, let alone the idea of people mocking it.

If someone bad-mouthed my country or religion, I wouldn't go burn down his house or murder his family. As a human being, I have more sense than that.
Sure, I agree with that they're more used to freedom of speech. Your second statement is unfair though. Mulims in Pakistan and Indian live with Christians, Parsi's, Hindu's, Sikh's, Jains, and Buddhists. Muslims in Indonesia and Philippines live with Buddhists and Christians.

And up until the creation of Israel, Palestinians lived with Jews. In fact, the world likes to forget but the only place where Jews were welcomed in Palestine were under the Islamic empire.

Not sure what you mean by your last statement.

Jun 13, 2007
Sure, good point :tup:

You're confusing the two things I said. I said that Christianity is a dying religion and by that I mean in Europe and United States. The other thing I said was that because of the small numbers of actual Christians there isn't much outrage when people offend Christianity and I'll add that perhaps they're just so used to it since it happens pretty frequently.

Sure, I agree with that they're more used to freedom of speech. Your second statement is unfair though. Mulims in Pakistan and Indian live with Christians, Parsi's, Hindu's, Sikh's, Jains, and Buddhists. Muslims in Indonesia and Philippines live with Buddhists and Christians.

And up until the creation of Israel, Palestinians lived with Jews. In fact, the world likes to forget but the only place where Jews were welcomed in Palestine were under the Islamic empire.

Not sure what you mean by your last statement.
It's true, but when you consider countries like Saudi Arabia and Turkey; muslims there are highly intolerant of other religions.

As for my last statement. I was referring to the Cartoon of prophet Mohammed. I think it's very unreasonable that in this day and age, people are burning down embassies because of a cartoon.

Jan 7, 2004
It's true, but when you consider countries like Saudi Arabia and Turkey; muslims are highly intolerant of other religions.

As for my last statement. I was referring to the Cartoon of prophet Mohammed. I think it's very unreasonable that in this day and age, people are burning down embassies because of a cartoon.
the funny thing is that a believer will always use the double standard and never actually focus on the stupid shit coming from his/her belief, yet they got no problem pointing out other's stupidities

Jun 13, 2007
the funny thing is that a believer will always use the double standard and never actually focus on the stupid shit coming from his/her belief, yet they got no problem pointing out other's stupidities
I have reasons to believe in my religion that go beyond the lines of logic and reasonability.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
It's true, but when you consider countries like Saudi Arabia and Turkey; muslims there are highly intolerant of other religions.

I don't defend the Muslim countries for the 100th time :D I believe all their leaders should be put in a space shuttle and shot into space.

Oh common now. There are billions of Muslims yet you point to the actions of a handful. You're guilty of the same crime as all the atheists saying religious people are nothing but nutcases and wandering around killing each other.

I don't know what you're talking about. I complain all the time about stupid shit that Muslims do. And if it wasn't for your "religion sux" comments in every thread (even if we were talking strawberries) I would give a rats ass about your so called "stupidities".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)