Dubai Virgin Radio Dj fired for offensive comments on god (2 Viewers)

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
God seems to be the hot topic on juventuz not del piero's underwear colour so.........

http://www.qatarliving.com/node/238007

Dubai-based Virgin Radio DJ Revin John fired
By SPEED on Thu, 23/10/2008 - 4:30pm
Dubai-based Virgin Radio DJ Revin John fired for offensive comments:

Dubai: Dubai-based radio station Virgin Radio fired one of its DJs for making offensive comments on air, the station said on Wednesday.

South African DJ Revin John who hosted the morning breakfast show was fired after mocking religion and impersonating God on air, the Arabian Radio Network said in a statement.

In a sketch aired on Monday, John pretended to act out a telephone conversation with God, prompting complaints from various listeners.

"He intended to be funny, not to offend anybody," the Arabian Radio Network Chief Operating Officer Steve Smith to the Associated Press. "However, what he did was highly offensive to the Muslim and Christian community in the UAE."

John was allowed back on air on Tuesday to apologise for his comments but was then dismissed, Abdullatif Al Sayegh, chief executive of Arab Media Group said.

A Facebook group set up in response to the comments currently stands at 626 members.

Mariam Zarouni, a 20-year-old chemical engineering student at the American University of Sharjah, told the AP she formed the group because she was so offended by his comments.

"When somebody crosses the line, then you have to defend your religion," Zarouni said. "Honestly ... how can he do this? We're in a Muslim county. But even Christians would take offense to that. You can't insult God."

In an interview with Gulf News magazine in June, the popular DJ said he researched the Dubai market before arriving in the country so that he could get to know his audience.

“The sensibilities of a listener in Dubai and the boundaries of what's acceptable and what's not were looked into,” he said.

Source: Gulfnews.com

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Il Re

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
  • Thread Starter #8
    lol damn! i'm usually quite good at picking up on sarcasm, but to be honest, i think he's really an idiot, while it might be harsh, you go to an arab country and start taking the piss out of god, i mean common!!! you gotta be really stupid to not realise consequences will follow, i mean when i'm in dubai i don't go around flirting women becuase i know it's not acceptable there....

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Who here really is offended by a conversation with God?

It's probably worse to doubt God's sense of humor. Considering a sense of humor is probably one of his inventions.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    In an interview with Gulf News magazine in June, the popular DJ said he researched the Dubai market before arriving in the country so that he could get to know his audience.

“The sensibilities of a listener in Dubai and the boundaries of what's acceptable and what's not were looked into,” he said.

Source: Gulfnews.com
    not much of a researcher then, is he

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
    He has done it before I read on another comment. And was fired for the very same reason. He got what he deserved.

Owned!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)