Don't bother looking in here... (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durden

May 11, 2006
Free or not, i would have to say thanks but no thanks. Apart from Pascal, there is not a defender in Fiorentina that I would ever consider getting. It seems to me that everytime someone is free , guys in this forum think its a good deal. From Baiocco to Zebina thru to Kovac, our record on free transfers is not good.
That is true but we have to accept that our situation has changed and we have to bring in many new players on a limited budget. Unless ofcourse Tuttosport is right about the 57 mil pounds :disagree:

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
That is true but we have to accept that our situation has changed and we have to bring in many new players on a limited budget. Unless ofcourse Tuttosport is right about the 57 mil pounds :disagree:
Please we are still doing the same things we have always done, spending big money on players that are not worth that much either with age or with being overrated or getting everyman and his dog just because he is free or how do you explain spending money on Boumsong

Durden

May 11, 2006
Please we are still doing the same things we have always done, spending big money on players that are not worth that much either with age or with being overrated or getting everyman and his dog just because he is free or how do you explain spending money on Boumsong
Don't know how to explain Boumsong, I guess DD never actually saw him play and just thought he looked liked the new Thuram :eyebrows:

But you can't be serious saying we always spend big money on players that are not worth much!!!! Come on ffs we build the strongest team in Serie A with limited cash compared to blowmeInter and sortofMilan! All our big tranfers was a success besides Salas. Moggi was an genious when it came to buying players, and Secco haven't had a chance to prove himself yet. So give the guy a chance mate.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Don't know how to explain Boumsong, I guess DD never actually saw him play and just thought he looked liked the new Thuram :eyebrows:

But you can't be serious saying we always spend big money on players that are not worth much!!!! Come on ffs we build the strongest team in Serie A with limited cash compared to blowmeInter and sortofMilan! All our big tranfers was a success besides Salas. Moggi was an genious when it came to buying players, and Secco haven't had a chance to prove himself yet. So give the guy a chance mate.
You call spending 17 m on Kovacevic a success? I still feel spending 25m, 22m 33m on Nedved, Thuram and Buffon a waste of good money. I don't know what background you come from, you might be priviledged but thats serious money from where i come from. People have had success by spending much less than what we have. But its very convienient to always call Inter to justify an argument. Milan on the other hand, i dont remember them splashing huge money on just 1 player, its a fallacy to think they do. Shevchenko and kaka, huge successes for them did not cost that much and Nesta was what 7m? Lets not even go into how much Emerson and Vieira cost
I am not even sure how this discussion came about, all i am saying is players like Dianelli, free or not, if they are not good enough , there is no point going for them. There is no point in having 5 centre backs if they are all substandard , ditto for other positions. Also give youngsters a chance, we never seem to. I have noticed on this forum that youngsters are not encouraged, 1 bad performance and they are condemned as either no good or too young and inexperienced. The likes of Messi, Fabregas, Gago, Torres of real madrid, Iniesta, Xavi, rest of arsenal's wonder kids did not shine in 1 game alone, they were given opportunities to get better and they did. But in italy , its hardly done nowadays, instead you get nondescript foreigners who are so ordinary its untrue. No wonder serieA is down inthe dumps

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
You call spending 17 m on Kovacevic a success? I still feel spending 25m, 22m 33m on Nedved, Thuram and Buffon a waste of good money. I don't know what background you come from, you might be priviledged but thats serious money from where i come from. People have had success by spending much less than what we have. But its very convienient to always call Inter to justify an argument. Milan on the other hand, i dont remember them splashing huge money on just 1 player, its a fallacy to think they do. Shevchenko and kaka, huge successes for them did not cost that much and Nesta was what 7m? Lets not even go into how much Emerson and Vieira cost
I am not even sure how this discussion came about, all i am saying is players like Dianelli, free or not, if they are not good enough , there is no point going for them. There is no point in having 5 centre backs if they are all substandard , ditto for other positions. Also give youngsters a chance, we never seem to. I have noticed on this forum that youngsters are not encouraged, 1 bad performance and they are condemned as either no good or too young and inexperienced. The likes of Messi, Fabregas, Gago, Torres of real madrid, Iniesta, Xavi, rest of arsenal's wonder kids did not shine in 1 game alone, they were given opportunities to get better and they did. But in italy , its hardly done nowadays, instead you get nondescript foreigners who are so ordinary its untrue. No wonder serieA is down inthe dumps
it's true that we spend alot on worth less players but we kind off balance it by selling our acomplished stars for a higher value also, but i really don't understand why we are not producing stars, the only thing i really disagrees with you on is that it's not in whole italy look at Roma every year they have a home grown player shines but moggi didn't allow this to happen in Juve we always had a short term objective to meet since we are the biggest club in italy

Durden

May 11, 2006
Didn't know we paid that much for Kovacevic.. No I come from a humble home and I agree that it is big money, but modern football is big business. And I think that we/juve have done good over the years, although I agree we need to give more chances to young players. But look at Zidane, Zambrotta, Del P, Di Livio, Toricelli, Canna, Davids, Vieri, Inzaghi etc. all fantastic buys in my eyes.

And I agree that we shouldn't buy players if they are substandard, but we have to look at our options. It seems Dianelli has been doing good this year but I really can't say if he's good enough, but I'd rather take my chance with him than spend 14 mill for a player like Pepe.. We got a young prospect in mimmo so maybe we are on the right path, but only time will tell that..

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004

Great post. In my opinion, youngsters like Paro, Marchisio and Palladino should definitely be given a chance to play for us when we return to Serie A.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Yes Salas, was a disaster, and yes Kovacevic wasn't worth his weight in gold, but you must consider the overall buys of our club. We made more "good priced buys", with many players that eventually became stars.

Buffon, Nedved and Thuram were all worth it. Or have you forgotten Van der sarr's form with us?

As for young talents, we don't really know how much "real talents" exists in our youth system.

I assume that clubs like Roma and Milan are lucky enough to be based in a Big,can I say International, city where the population is much bigger thus more likely to find talented youths?

Its true that we need to give our youngsters a chance, and in the past they have been rarely given the chance but its not that easy for the club. When you mention wonderkids like Messi, Fabregas, and other homegrown talents you must also realize that they showed enough in training sessions to warrant their chances with the first team.
Have our youths shown the same success in trainning sessions? Only Juve coaches know that answer.

What's clear is that many of our youngsters were given the chance to train with the first team (which is the first step before actually playin), but I'm guessin they just didn't show enough to convince the coaches and especially manager.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Yes Salas, was a disaster, and yes Kovacevic wasn't worth his weight in gold, but you must consider the overall buys of our club. We made more "good priced buys", with many players that eventually became stars.

Buffon, Nedved and Thuram were all worth it. Or have you forgotten Van der sarr's form with us?

As for young talents, we don't really know how much "real talents" exists in our youth system.

I assume that clubs like Roma and Milan are lucky enough to be based in a Big,can I say International, city where the population is much bigger thus more likely to find talented youths?

Its true that we need to give our youngsters a chance, and in the past they have been rarely given the chance but its not that easy for the club. When you mention wonderkids like Messi, Fabregas, and other homegrown talents you must also realize that they showed enough in training sessions to warrant their chances with the first team.
Have our youths shown the same success in trainning sessions? Only Juve coaches know that answer.

What's clear is that many of our youngsters were given the chance to train with the first team (which is the first step before actually playin), but I'm guessin they just didn't show enough to convince the coaches and especially manager
Italian coaches/managers like to play safe and rely on established/experienced stars rather than youth. Why else will the likes of Lupoli, Rossi have to come to England to realise their potential before an Italian team then decides that they are good. Buffon, Nedved and Thuram were good buys but grossly overpriced. Lehmann and cech cost between them 7, 750, 000, Valdes and Cassilas cost nothing and the latter 2 have won the Cl, why? because those teams they play for would rather spend big money on attacking quality and invest in youth like Barcelona have done. Compared that to the massive outlay of 55m on Thuram and Buffon alone. It does not matter that the money was offset witht he sale of Zidane and Inzaghi, it could have been used to purchase 10 or more promising young talents, a very decent keeper, at the time Riquelme would have been got for far less than what we paid for Nedved but i guess we prefer efficent to creative
There was a swiss kid, i think he was called chimuento or something who showed potential in Lippi's last season, i have no idea where he is now.
True, Roma's youth system is terrific, Atalanta's used to be excellent as well but seems to have dried up a bit. I don't know what the town has got to do with anything as Milan and Inter have not produced anything in like forever, and a club like Juventus should be able to attract the best kids in the world to wanna play for them if we were interested, but sadly we are not. For some reason we seem to have concentrated on the french league and getting players that are ranging from average to excellent. Teams like Arsenal, Roma, Lyon have built fanstastic sides without breaking transfer records, why can't we get a manager, and backroom staff who know their stuff.
You want a very decent holding midfielder, go to France and Argentina for like 6 months, you are bound to find several who are waiting to be discovered as world class. Creative midfielders are like a dime a dozen in Brazil, Argentina and Portugal to a lesser extent. Quaresma for instance should not still be playing for Porto. Athletic players, go to Africa or the french league as they are abundant there and you have so many with pace and power eg Yaya Toure (if thats how you spell his first name) is a very decent midfielder, superior to zakora imo. Defenders, well, they really should not be any other place than Italy to find really good ones. Or perhaps Argentina. Not sure why you want to spend big money on a Brazilian centre back
Full backs, sure go to Brazil, you will find very good ones going forward

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Italian coaches/managers like to play safe and rely on established/experienced stars rather than youth. Why else will the likes of Lupoli, Rossi have to come to England to realise their potential before an Italian team then decides that they are good. Buffon, Nedved and Thuram were good buys but grossly overpriced. Lehmann and cech cost between them 7, 750, 000, Valdes and Cassilas cost nothing and the latter 2 have won the Cl, why? because those teams they play for would rather spend big money on attacking quality and invest in youth like Barcelona have done. Compared that to the massive outlay of 55m on Thuram and Buffon alone. It does not matter that the money was offset witht he sale of Zidane and Inzaghi, it could have been used to purchase 10 or more promising young talents, a very decent keeper, at the time Riquelme would have been got for far less than what we paid for Nedved but i guess we prefer efficent to creative
There was a swiss kid, i think he was called chimuento or something who showed potential in Lippi's last season, i have no idea where he is now.
True, Roma's youth system is terrific, Atalanta's used to be excellent as well but seems to have dried up a bit. I don't know what the town has got to do with anything as Milan and Inter have not produced anything in like forever, and a club like Juventus should be able to attract the best kids in the world to wanna play for them if we were interested, but sadly we are not. For some reason we seem to have concentrated on the french league and getting players that are ranging from average to excellent. Teams like Arsenal, Roma, Lyon have built fanstastic sides without breaking transfer records, why can't we get a manager, and backroom staff who know their stuff.
You want a very decent holding midfielder, go to France and Argentina for like 6 months, you are bound to find several who are waiting to be discovered as world class. Creative midfielders are like a dime a dozen in Brazil, Argentina and Portugal to a lesser extent. Quaresma for instance should not still be playing for Porto. Athletic players, go to Africa or the french league as they are abundant there and you have so many with pace and power eg Yaya Toure (if thats how you spell his first name) is a very decent midfielder, superior to zakora imo. Defenders, well, they really should not be any other place than Italy to find really good ones. Or perhaps Argentina. Not sure why you want to spend big money on a Brazilian centre back
Full backs, sure go to Brazil, you will find very good ones going forward

I agree well said, although you cannot really hold real madrid up as a team that makes good purchases, they have spent an obscene amount of money in the last 3 years and have won nothing, i dont think we should follow their philosophy

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I agree well said, although you cannot really hold real madrid up as a team that makes good purchases, they have spent an obscene amount of money in the last 3 years and have won nothing, i dont think we should follow their philosophy
They make good purchases just they either make it at the wrong time or misuse them. Beckham form a financial stand point was a brilliant purchase as it single handedly knocked man united as the richest most marketable club and put Real madrid there. Robinho is a decent player , overrated, definitely, Ramos, well that was madness, he is a good prospect but for 18m, it was a just a nonsense. Now they were not to know that Cassano will flop big time but he was just 3m. After spending huge on Diarra, vast waste for his price, it was just asinine to get Emerson or was it the other way round, oh yeah , i think they got Emerson first , but then again they got Capello as manager and he is just an ass. Baptsita, well every club is entitled to a bit of comedy , now and then. At least now they are investing in youth and hopefully Capello will leave them this season. It is not all doom and gloom for them to be fair but thankfully the days of so called galaticos are over

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I think you're being over critical.

I can understand many of the points you make, about going for undiscovered talents. But its no guarentee, sometimes its a hit and miss thing.

I would not have gone for Riquelme instead of Pavel Nedved. Riquelme was very patchy in his form, and lacked the work ethic that Juventus love in their team. Nedved has been one of the most consistant performers and became a golden ball winner, the price was more than justified, end of story.

Why would we need/buy 10 or more promising youngsters? That directly contradicts your points in giving our young homegrowns a shot. The most we could have in the first team is like 3 hot prospects.

If you think we didn't go for young talents, why do you think we purchased Olivera? Chiellini? We do spend our share, although perhaps not too much. But successful young buys provide no guarantees, and yes, Juventus do play it safe. It wouldn't be the consistant league title challanger if Juve didn't take care in its purchases.

I think you forget that Footballing is about SKILL and ALSO TALENT. One can be taught but the other is a gift. Even with the best soccer schools you can't guarentee star quality.

Why aren't parents of talented kids choosing Juventus? Do you mean like in Messi's case picking Barca? I guess that has to do with lingual compatibility. And I guess many of the creative talents that you speak of don't consider Juventus as a team which promotes development in that area. Juve is about organization, discipline and intelligence which is not really a sellable quality to kids who have amazing skills and talent.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I think you're being over critical.

I can understand many of the points you make, about going for undiscovered talents. But its no guarentee, sometimes its a hit and miss thing.

I would not have gone for Riquelme instead of Pavel Nedved. Riquelme was very patchy in his form, and lacked the work ethic that Juventus love in their team. Nedved has been one of the most consistant performers and became a golden ball winner, the price was more than justified, end of story.
Why would we need/buy 10 or more promising youngsters? That directly contradicts your points in giving our young homegrowns a shot. The most we could have in the first team is like 3 hot prospects.

If you think we didn't go for young talents, why do you think we purchased Olivera? Chiellini? We do spend our share, although perhaps not too much. But successful young buys provide no guarantees, and yes, Juventus do play it safe. It wouldn't be the consistant league title challanger if Juve didn't take care in its purchases.

I think you forget that Footballing is about SKILL and ALSO TALENT. One can be taught but the other is a gift. Even with the best soccer schools you can't guarentee star quality.

Why aren't parents of talented kids choosing Juventus? Do you mean like in Messi's case picking Barca? I guess that has to do with lingual compatibility. And I guess many of the creative talents that you speak of don't consider Juventus as a team which promotes development in that area. Juve is about organization, discipline and intelligence which is not really a sellable quality to kids who have amazing skills and talent.
Where did I say we should have gone for R Riquelme instead if Nedved with that money? We could have gone for both. Nedved remember at Lazio was more effective on the left because he had players like Veron to create for him while at Juventus he was horrible on the left initially as we had noone in the middle to create for him so he was pushed into the middle by Lippi. Purchasing youngsters and nuturing them to become super players is not a contradiction to what I said earlier. You still have to pay for these kids, they are not gonna give you for free. Fabregas , Messi and allthose kids who grew in different countries were not just handed over, they had to be paid for ,no matter how paltry the sum was.
What do you mean by we promote discipline, organisation and intelligence? I do not see those qualities in a lot of our players, safe for a few like Dp and Nedved, intelligence does not come to my mind when i think of Buffon. With all the scnadals that have dogged us over the years , how can we be organised or disciplined? It will be so much better to hire people whose jobs is to spot super talents around the world and help bring over to Juventus to nurture.

Durden

May 11, 2006
Where did I say we should have gone for R Riquelme instead if Nedved with that money? We could have gone for both. Nedved remember at Lazio was more effective on the left because he had players like Veron to create for him while at Juventus he was horrible on the left initially as we had noone in the middle to create for him so he was pushed into the middle by Lippi. Purchasing youngsters and nuturing them to become super players is not a contradiction to what I said earlier. You still have to pay for these kids, they are not gonna give you for free. Fabregas , Messi and allthose kids who grew in different countries were not just handed over, they had to be paid for ,no matter how paltry the sum was.
What do you mean by we promote discipline, organisation and intelligence? I do not see those qualities in a lot of our players, safe for a few like Dp and Nedved, intelligence does not come to my mind when i think of Buffon. With all the scnadals that have dogged us over the years , how can we be organised or disciplined? It will be so much better to hire people whose jobs is to spot super talents around the world and help bring over to Juventus to nurture.
Riquelme failed in barca because he couldn't handle the presure, he then came to a small club and did great for a while, and now look at him. Do you really think he would have been a succes at Juve?? Sure he had the talent, but he isn't mentally strong enough. I still agree with you that we have to bring in more young talents and I think we try to do so. The problem as I see it is that the big talents get to expensive when real, barca, arsenal, man utd etc get in the race. Because every time you bring in a young talent you're taking a big chance, and Juve don't like spending to much money on big chances. It's safer to buy an established player with less talent for the same amount. The Juve directors have to take the share holders into consideration when we act on the transfer market.

I think your're way off saying we don't promote discipine, organisation and intelligence. Look at how we play on the pitch. Look at how we act on the transfer market. Look at how we balance the books. We have never been a mad house like Inter, Madrid or Inter. In Juve everything was keept inside. The scandals you refered to - well if we did all this things we rather lacked morale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)