Does ADP have a strong point in his game? (6 Viewers)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Going back to your first comments discobamba and u said you were thinking about what exactly Dp is good at
There are players who don't have just one quality and its hard to describe what they have while there are others who u can just say thats what he is good at and that player is usually more functional than creative
I will give you a few examples please tell me what Pele was good at, but you cannot deny he is one of the greatest if not the greatest ever, his dribblings were not exceptional, he was quick but compared to players of today , again not exceptional, his freekicks were poor compared to greats of the game but does it mean he was not great

Cruyff , apart from that famous turn, what else would u associate with him?

Now functional players like Beckham, and Nedved you know what you are going to get and thats lots of energy and enthusiasm, good dead ball situations especially Beckham and the ability to pick out a pass

I personally feel if I can actually make out your gr8 strengths and know what you are good at then you are limited as a player

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Going back to your first comments discobamba and u said you were thinking about what exactly Dp is good at
There are players who don't have just one quality and its hard to describe what they have while there are others who u can just say thats what he is good at and that player is usually more functional than creative
I will give you a few examples please tell me what Pele was good at, but you cannot deny he is one of the greatest if not the greatest ever, his dribblings were not exceptional, he was quick but compared to players of today , again not exceptional, his freekicks were poor compared to greats of the game but does it mean he was not great

Cruyff , apart from that famous turn, what else would u associate with him?

Now functional players like Beckham, and Nedved you know what you are going to get and thats lots of energy and enthusiasm, good dead ball situations especially Beckham and the ability to pick out a pass

I personally feel if I can actually make out your gr8 strengths and know what you are good at then you are limited as a player
interesting.... good point Denco :)

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
Del Piero for me has great functionality to Juventus. In fact, i think he would be a great function to any team. He may not be the highest scorer, the greatest playmaker, winger, 2nd striker in the world. But on his par level, he is only a step-behind from superb. That is how high his level of performance is. He may not be superb all of the time, but his average performances are really above the average player.

His specific qualities may not be all superb, but there are. His penalty is very lethal, and almost a certain goal.

Free-kicks are very deadly specially when its within shooting range. He may not be that effective from long range like Carlos. But at closer range, he's much more deadlier. Probably as effective as the highly-rated Beckham.

His vision is excellent. When he gets the ball, he barely gives it away. The only ball that he gives away is when he is out-numbered by opponents. Or when he is roughed-up by defenders and it is usually questionable as him being fouled.

Shooting is excellent too given the chance to be alone in front of goal.

His control for me is undeniable. He can make any ball dead in front of his foot coming at him from any angle.

So his traits aren't the best in the world, but its rare to find a player with so much quality in so many aspects.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++

Consistency??? What the hell are you on about :wth:
Hahaha!!
Well, i feel DP is very consistent in a 34 game season. Id love to have a Dp like player. Yea, he gets injured for a couple of months each year, but i think he does have important contributions all season long. He may not have the big game temperament. But all said and done, he knows how to make a season count....

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Yeah Recoba is another one, but Recoba on the other hand sucks completely and he's not a team player like DP. I don't blame Inter fans for being frustrated at him; whenever he has the ball, no matter where he is , he will shoot! And 90% he would shoot straight to the keeper.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Instances, against Real Madrid ball in the air, first touch kills the ball dead, second touch takes out Hiero and Helguera , 3rd touch in the net and he does that time and time again
I struggle to recall many recent examples of how he does this time and time again. I'm not criticising DP, I love him as a player, but , though his first touch is usually very very good, the rest of what you said happens on only a few occasions a season, as opposed to the likes of Zizou who truly do perform at that level week in week out.

sheva

Aug 7, 2002
I definately agree with Denco and Primo:cool: No offense, but I really think that the majority of his bitter critics are simply people that were let down by his underperformances in several "big" matches. You really couldnt see all of his other matches or you wouldnt make these comments. Half the time he plays the opponents purposefully over mark him anyway.:eek: He is world class both for Juventus and for Italy. His main problem in my eyes is his lack of consistency:down: Some people think that his absence on the field because of injury has had no effect on Juve, but he is our captain and a charismatic character as his is essential. If god forbid, he ever leaves Juve, then we will feel the real drawbacks. Plus even if he may have an off day he still manages to score or assist.

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
i honestly think that Dp time and time again, overthinks when he gets the ball. like this:

Ok, i've got the ball, im gonna this way, but if i go this way, he's gonna tackle me and i'll fall, so should go that way and surprise him! But wait, aha, he'll probably think im gonna try that, so i'll make him THINK i'm going this way, when he go this way too, then i'll pretend to go that way, and then he'll just slide to stop me coz he's already going the other way.

Hei "Mr. Smart" CSD, can you think about that in one second like DP did? If you can't, you are just NAIF.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Use the quote button. When you want to quote someones post there is a little "quote" button in the right bottom corner of it (of the post) ;)

OP
Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #58
    ++ [ originally posted by d.nico ] ++
    Hei "Mr. Smart" CSD, can you think about that in one second like DP did? If you can't, you are just NAIF.
    huh? what are you talking about? :wth:

slack

Dec 13, 2002
    Did someone say he has poor ball control?!? If you agree on how supremely technically gifted he is, I don't see how that's possible. Dribbling and speed have definitely deteriorated, aspects his ACL and personal 'bulk-up' training program has a lot to account for.

I once came across the same verdict that he isn't particularly outstanding in any field but the assessment concluded his somewhat surprising effectiveness on 1 area - impeccable timing. Riding tackles, executing the perfect assist, receiving a difficult pass etc ... all these are a function of timing as much as technique, which basically buys you the crucial additional second or 2 as well. If there's such a thing as slow-mo dribbling, he'd be right up there; imagine the added difficulty of pulling it off and it might be better appreciated :p Alternatively, just watch players who goes about doing things with the aid of a sundial ie. Alan Smith tackling.

This is gonna sound like CM4 but what about off-the-ball stuff? Movement, positioning, judgment, awareness? ADP has an outstanding footballing brain. Also, he's no more indulgent with the ball than any other skilful player in the world. That area of the field is always a high-risk area for possession anyway; general numerical match-up is 4 defenders to 2 attackers.

Lastly, some of his recent notable goals/goal-attempts ... that one against Dortmund in the 96/97 CL final, the heel-flick goal off Nedved's freekick and another mid-air flick goal from a Zambro cross last season, that cheeky attempt against Abbiati in the Berlusconi Cup about 3yrs back, and that outrageous back-heel attempt that would have beaten any other keeper who haven't got a reach like Toldo 2yrs ago ... these are things that most forwards in the world can only dream about.

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
    Nedved has a thing to say:

Channel4

2nd to the last paragraph

"We are all missing Alex because he has always been able to score important goals," added the former Lazio man.

Slack, great post! Couldn't have said it any sweeter!

from salck's post:
    Lastly, some of his recent notable goals/goal-attempts ... that one against Dortmund in the 96/97 CL final, the heel-flick goal off Nedved's freekick and another mid-air flick goal from a Zambro cross last season, that cheeky attempt against Abbiati in the Berlusconi Cup about 3yrs back, and that outrageous back-heel attempt that would have beaten any other keeper who haven't got a reach like Toldo 2yrs ago ... these are things that most forwards in the world can only dream about.
    Yeah! I remember all of this! I have it all on my PC. I also have a lot of his dribbling videos which I watch regularly so I can learn how his brain works. The picture I'm posting is the exquisite volley he made from a Zambrotta cross against Perugia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)