Diego Forlán - ST - Atletico-Madrid (3 Viewers)

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
So if he says that we shouldn't believe the rumours and then we end up signing him, does this mean that we should believe in the rumours and not believe in what he says? Hmmm, I'll let you guys ponder on that one..

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
I don't think we'll get Forlan. Especially now after what Marotta said. Sure, Marotta wouldn't have to tell us what he's doing but he could of just kept quiet and not said anything.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
Juventus sporting director Giuseppe Marotta has dodged reports claiming they are trying to land Atletico Madrid hitman Diego Forlan, but he did admit signing a striker is essential in January.

Tuttosport claimed Juve were hopeful of making a bid to lure Forlan. Reports claimed around €10 million would suffice to bring the 31-year-old to Turin, but Marotta has other ideas.

"Forlan? We won't be following certain rumours," he told the press.

"The truth is that Quagliarella's injury has put us into difficulty, and so we will do all we can to replace him.

"But it will not be easy looking at what this session offers us."

The Old Lady take on Catania in Thursday's Coppa Italia last 16 clash - a chance to offer a response on the recent slide.

"It is an very important game for us," Marotta said.

Lorena

Dec 11, 2010
"The truth is that Quagliarella's injury has put us into difficulty, and so we will do all we can to replace him.

"But it will not be easy looking at what this session offers us."

The Old Lady take on Catania in Thursday's Coppa Italia last 16 clash - a chance to offer a response on the recent slide.

"It is an very important game for us," Marotta said.
He proved that by signing Toni :sergio:

May 22, 2007
Thing is, after those 2 years Floro Flores would still be worth something & part of the money can be recuperated. Not the case with Forlan.

I honestly don't understand how someone could agree on spending +/- 31 million€ (all in) on an old player. As far as investments go, that in itself is really about as bad as it gets.
Now couple that with what happened in the summer (the way we had supposedly chosen to continue), and it truly gets beyond ridiculous.

Never mind short term thinking. That's just not thinking at all.
Balance out whether this investment is worth it in the long run if he plays an important part in helping the club achieve Champions League football for next season, and we can gain some sort of consistency in those 2/3 years we can get out of this player. It allows us to buy some more time to search for a younger alternative (that could even happen in the summer), while adding a player who is proven at the highest level.

If we fail to reach the CL for a second consecutive year, it will be very damaging to the club and it'll be hard to find a way out of that. The negative of missing out on CL will outweigh the positives of finding a cheap alternative in my opinion. I wouldn't have the same approach to this transfer if we still had Quagliarella, but we'll have to pay for our bad luck unfortunately.

I'm sure someone has that table of how much clubs receive in TV rights for each stage of the CL (Groups, quarter final, semi final etc). At a guess I think we got €25m from that season where we lost to Chelsea.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I think missing out on the CL again changes the club its pattern on a lot of fields like financial, sporting targets etc. etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)