Did loverboy get it right? (4 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Oh no you don't. You come in with the most quirky, unintelligible jokes everyday, you don't get to plead ignorance on this one. :p
Guilty as charged. :D

The new job thing doesn't allow for very interactive sessions these days, I'm afraid. So I do my best with surgical strikes and I'm out... :snoop:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #86
    Today there were a lot of muslim girls in front of the school in Antwerp that I told you guys about, the one that has forbidden veils. They had a couple of banners up as well "no veil, no students". They made some grammatical errors and they made some idiotic claims (such as "we're being oppressed by the Belgian government") so they really looked like fools. Add to that that they started to harass girls that didn't wear veils and it's clear the school was right. It's a pity, but some people can't handle freedom.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    Today there were a lot of muslim girls in front of the school in Antwerp that I told you guys about, the one that has forbidden veils. They had a couple of banners up as well "no veil, no students". They made some grammatical errors and they made some idiotic claims (such as "we're being oppressed by the Belgian government") so they really looked like fools. Add to that that they started to harass girls that didn't wear veils and it's clear the school was right. It's a pity, but some people can't handle freedom.
    its funny how cultures interpret and apply the term/idea of freedom

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #91
    Just for the record: hats had always been forbidden in the school. And no, there is no difference between a hat and a veil.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    :agree:

That's what i mind about us men :D
    In this case muslim men.

They'll keep telling you that the woman want to wear X or Y and it's women's own choice. They know it because "their sisters or friends told them so".
    They don't ask themselves if it's possible that those girls could possibly lie because they know that they can't really say openly how they hate wearing that, or that those girls don't even know about another way.

Personally i'm 100% sure that if those women, especially the younger ones, are given a choice to wear or not to wear, without any consequences whatsoever if they choose not to wear burquas or even hijabs, a huge majority will choose not to wear them and after few years, or maybe a decade, all of them will choose not to wear burqas or coats or hijabs.

Especially when it's fucking 40 degrees outside.
    Oh god.

Your sure, are you?

No point discussing anything anymore with you guys when you make baseless assumptions, and just say that you're sure about it.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Fred, ask yourself this. In cultures where there is no religion or custom of wearing a scarf over your head, do women do it? Have you ever seen women spontaneously do this in any non-Muslim culture elsewhere where the decision is purely their own with no peer pressure or tradition involved?

If this is something that women commonly wanted to do, wouldn't they be doing it in Europe and America and Japan and so on just because they liked it? So why don't they? Why is it that the only women who do it are those brought up in a Muslim culture?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Fred, ask yourself this. In cultures where there is no religion or custom of wearing a scarf over your head, do women do it? Have you ever seen women spontaneously do this in any non-Muslim culture elsewhere where the decision is purely their own with no peer pressure or tradition involved?

If this is something that women commonly wanted to do, wouldn't they be doing it in Europe and America and Japan and so on just because they liked it? So why don't they? Why is it that the only women who do it are those brought up in a Muslim culture?
    I never said non muslim women wanted to wear a scarf over their head.

Muslim women meanwhile, at least the large majority of them wear it out of choice.

There are many women that work here and live alone, their brothers/fathers/ etc are not with them. Yet they still wear veils.

But really there is no point in continuing this discussion imo. At least for me there isn't.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    It's not about being under constant threat from your family. It's about beliefs ingrained deep into your psyche. Like have you ever heard about people who've been in prison for a really long time who actually fear coming out into the world? Because for so long they have been artificially sheltered from it that they don't believe they can handle it. It's that kind of thing, it's a long term effect, it's not the kid who's just looking for his parents to leave the house to go for the cookie jar.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
    I think this decision by Sarkozy is pretty stupid. Like Juve Rev said, its hypocritical. French citizens should have the right to wear what ever they please. And although Andries says rights do conflict, I don't really see how the right to wear symbolic religious clothing conflicts with any rights of those who opt not to do so.
    Sarkozy states that the Burqa deprives women of their identity. But it can be perceived as the contrary, these women regard their religion as part of their identity.
    Although I don't think women should be forced to wear anything, they still should bare the right to make the choice.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #98
    I never said non muslim women wanted to wear a scarf over their head.

Muslim women meanwhile, at least the large majority of them wear it out of choice.

There are many women that work here and live alone, their brothers/fathers/ etc are not with them. Yet they still wear veils.

But really there is no point in continuing this discussion imo. At least for me there isn't.
    TBH I think it really does have to do with peer pressure. But even if we were all sure that it was the case, we can't prove it. And we most definitely can't forbid veils on that basis. So I think it's safer to go with other arguments here.

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    :agree:

That's what i mind about us men :D
    In this case muslim men.

They'll keep telling you that the woman want to wear X or Y and it's women's own choice. They know it because "their sisters or friends told them so".
    They don't ask themselves if it's possible that those girls could possibly lie because they know that they can't really say openly how they hate wearing that, or that those girls don't even know about another way.

Personally i'm 100% sure that if those women, especially the younger ones, are given a choice to wear or not to wear, without any consequences whatsoever if they choose not to wear burquas or even hijabs, a huge majority will choose not to wear them and after few years, or maybe a decade, all of them will choose not to wear burqas or coats or hijabs.

Especially when it's fucking 40 degrees outside.
    i think that's true whilst also false as well,

i agree that some girls would feel pressure from their familly or culture, but i know girls who come from very relaxed backgrounds and they chose to wear it, one girl i know was chucked out of her house for wearing it because her father felt it was extreme, she has no pressure from men, for her, it's her religeous obligation, i.e. a requirement from god, not man

(i am talking about hijaab by the way, not the burka)

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #100
    What about these veils that cover almost the entire face? I mean you can still see their mouth and their eyes and stuff, but their entire neck is covered up to their chin. It looks very weird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)