Del Piero: To start on the pitch or on the bench. (1 Viewer)

How should he start?

• On the pitch

• On the bench

Results are only viewable after voting.

zizoufan

Z.Z T h e M a s t e r
May 25, 2004
Delpiero is a legend. to be subbed for one or two matches no hurt but obviously he should start. CR should know when Alex is not useful anymore in the pitch and drop him. I don't see why we're alarmed about this question though. Yes, Alex should be more efficient in his play but should always be a starter.

Last 4 matches :

Againt cagilari : scored a goal
Against Udinese : Hit the posts 3 times.
Againt Roma : misses a P.K and missed out a clear chance.

well not bad if u ask me. Rest him in the midweek and start him again on sunday's game.

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
yeah sure dp has had some bad games yet his heart and the passion still flashes and he can be amazing. he played very well agaisnt udinese and he still has his impressive moments. but starting him on the bench is outrageous.
i think del piero just needs to play further uppfront he doesnt have his speed anymore or endurance yet he could still play excellently in a more forward role hes just not in good enough shape anymore to play between the mid and strikers

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Picking football teams has always been fairly simple in my view. If DP's in form, he starts. If he's not, he doesn't. It's that simple. If he's playing well choosing to use him as a sub for tactical reasons is just stupid.

pavelnedved

official nedved copy
Jul 15, 2006
furthermore i'd try out a 433 one more time with dp on the bench and tiago as a starter, possibly instead of nocerino.

It's the one advantage that Tiago does have : he's a 433 player

Juventico

Apr 7, 2005
Alex is undoubtedly an important player for Juve, but I think that he shouldn't be a starter all the time. As important as he is, and as experienced as he is he still is somewhat affected by situations outside the pitch. The whole Donadoni-"I don't want to be a Midfielder anymore" is an example of that.

The penalty today for instance: we all know that in a normal day he wouldn't miss a penalty like that, but he really over-powered it. And for most of the game he seemed like pressured (most of the team too; makes sense as most people: fans, critics and half of Italy look at every Juve match as a test waiting to see what this Juve can do in Serie A). Physically too Del Pie isn't at his best anymore, at times a younger player like Palla may achieve more with his energy than Alex may achieve with his experience. CR made the right choice to made the sub him when he did.

So for the future I'd expect this trend to stick, playing Alex for 50-60 mins then sub him for Palla, and depending on the match it should be Palla who starts.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
It is wiser to start him on the pitch, because sometimes he gets tired sooner, sometimes later, so just sub him when he is tired, same goes for the rest, DP is still a starter, everybody has on and off form period, this is were the rotation helps to rest some players and take the maximum from everybodyI dont think DP reacts well when he has the sub status, but he can handle it, the team cant though, he is our captain and as long as he is there, he has a double role, our team lacks cohesion and morality without him.
When we use a 3 man attack DP has to be on of those 3 and Treze too!
:pint:

Mar 24, 2006
Grounded Him . . .

after the match , so he will gets more time with Sonia :D

Ermmm , Despite he shows some off form yesterday , I'm sure he can back to his best Performance as soon as possible , so let's keep him on the pitch .

Bravo Capitano !

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
To be short, Ranieri put it in the best way possible a few weeks back:

"I'd rather see less of Del Piero, in order to get the whole Del Piero"

wookie

Aug 5, 2004
Only to say that DP can't play a full game any longer is just BS. And I also think that it was wrong to take him shortly after his missed penalty out. If he would have played longer he could amend his mistake with a good game.

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
I think he's at a stage where he can't always start and play 90 minutes.

However, he should make an appearance in every game.

I would vote for an option three if it existed... "both, depending on opponent and form"

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
I think Dp should start most games from the bench as he is more effective like that. I'm not saying he should never start, but not all the time, maybe 2 games starting on the bench and 1 on the pitch, then obviously with injuries he'll have more playing time. But it is important to keep him fresh for the games which need experience like Inter, Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
BTW Alex just needs 5 more games to become Juve's all time 2nd most capped player (after Scirea). We don't want him to break the record coming from the bench, do we?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I don't think we should "sack" him from the first 11 just yet. I mean 4 games in the season, that's not that big of a deal, everyone hits a slump here and there. IMO he may not have 90 minutes in him for every game but he can still play a lot of games. He was one of our best players in Serie B last year, if not the best and that's no small feat for such a physical leauge. He hasn't aged ten years since then... He's not that old to be considered a super sub just yet.

DP and Trez is still my number one attack combination and I don't think his form is critical. However, we should definetly try out Iaquinta and Trez more often together this season.

For the next game, I'd like to see DP rested and Iaquinta & Trez start.
Good points out there V.

Tbh, I'm not that into playing two tall strikers up-front, reminds me of Zlatan-Trez, though Iaquinta is by miles ahead of that overrated Ibra.

That said, Del Piero and Trezeguet partnership is the best to me, though I'd love to see them playing trident with Iaquinta beside them from time to time.

What makes me laugh, is that some people keep thinking that Del Piero is ready to hit the bench. They repeat the same thing when Capello was over, yet Alessandro came up to be the most decent player in that year. And according to stats the MVP of the team.

However, I'm with resting him from time to time, but he's not a bench material player.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I don't see why there should be a definitive policy on this.

Just take it game by game looking at form, physical condition and the opposition.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
And what's with this 60min and 30min??? We're not a bowling team here.

If Del Piero doesn't performe he should be sub, If Trezeguet doesn't performe he should be sub, Nedved, Iaquinta, Camoranesi....Everyone.

It's not like you're booking in a rest to say what min he should be sub, If he performes good, than no coach with a brain in the world would put Ale on the bench. as simple as that.

We've had 10's of this threads before and I really hope the lil zlatty's and pro capello fans don't ruin this one.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I would also say with regard of him needing rested, he should be able to start almost every game because we will be playing once a week.

I don't expect him to start on Wednesday but if he is only playing once a week, he should be able to play most of most matches.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I don't see why there should be a definitive policy on this.

Just take it game by game looking at form, physical condition and the opposition.
Thats one thing....and you're spot on.

The funny thing is that after 4matches, were Ale had two decent games, and other two he didn't performe like he's supposed to, people are questioning if he should be benched or not. Like what the press and media giving him from pressure isn't enough, and fans should put much more pressure on him starting to questioning his abilities on the field.

There's no single player that doesn't pass through difficult and bad moments, we haven't reached October yet and people/media/press are all criticizing this man. Seriously, how can Alessandro Del Piero himself handle all this?

If just this man can be left alone and let him play his football.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)