Del Piero: a hero or a choker? (3 Viewers)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
How about Ferrara? :D
Well he is one of the few players who are respected from all the different team fans (and you cannot know how it is difficolt in Italy with all the rivality we have) but what to say... he's a defender... and unfortunately they will never be so popolar and praised like who scores.
Actually when FIGC made the "millenium player pool" in 2000 after Baggio there was Zoff. Of the still playing players there was Maldini.
And who is always mentioned to be in the bests is Rivera. He is the onlyone that some peaple put sometimes ahead of Baggio.
Who hold all the records as goal scored are Meazza and Piola... but actually there are not many peaple who sow them left alive...
Anycase Ferrara is good choice ;) I also think that sometimes some playeres are underrate just cause their role do not allow them to be so "spectaolar".

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
I don't intend it, Alex.
I intend that you cannot rate a player just from the titles or whatever his team won if not Juliano will be better than Totti, 4 example....
I think that's different, we're talking about Baggio, a players who everyone focuses on come matchday, and that everyone expects something from.

I agree with Martin on this one, 'the greatest ever player' surely needs to have won more than what Baggio has, no matter what team he plays for (See Alan Shearer - Blackburn)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
I'm just saying to be named the best ever, you should be able to rise to the challenge and take your average club to the top. Maradona did it..
But do you actually remember how was Juve in Roby ages?
Do you remember the formation who in 1993 won the UEFA cup 4 example? If you will see again the matches of that cup you will really see that this exately what you said.
And did you see USA 94? There he did maybe also more of that... he was "virtually" alone...

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Like Buffon? ;) To be honest I think he deserves to be that symbol right now more than anyone else.
"The simble of soccer" isn't something related to the present...
But yes, Buffon may be the best Italian right now, why not? Why Totti or Vieri schould be ahead of him? ;) Just cause they made goals and he avoid them but Gigi is at the moment one of the best players of the world, and infact it was the first time that UEFA voted a goalkeeper as the best CL player :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
But do you actually remember how was Juve in Roby ages?
Do you remember the formation who in 1993 won the UEFA cup 4 example? If you will see again the matches of that cup you will really see that this exately what you said.
And did you see USA 94? There he did maybe also more of that... he was "virtually" alone...
So why quit in 94? Are you saying you consider him the best ever only based on the period up until 94?

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

I think that's different, we're talking about Baggio, a players who everyone focuses on come matchday, and that everyone expects something from.

I agree with Martin on this one, 'the greatest ever player' surely needs to have won more than what Baggio has, no matter what team he plays for (See Alan Shearer - Blackburn)
But is not that he won nothing with his teams...
And he also drove a schitty Italy to a WC final...
And he is also the "after war" Italian who scored more, and beeing a playmaker...
And how many Italians arrived to be awarded as the best of the world?
And he is the only Italian considered out of oueres border...
Anycase... every country has his simble, 4 us is Baggio. But btw from the pools looks like also abroad peaple agrees with us...
I guess many peaple did not see all of Baggio....
Anycase same question 4 you... if it will be you to decide who will you pick as "Italian soccer king" instead of Baggio?

gray

Apr 22, 2003

But is not that he won nothing with his teams...
And he also drove a schitty Italy to a WC final...
You cannot call Italy a schitty team, no matter how badly they played... they're Italy, and they have quality players through all generations.

Teams like Napoli on the other hand :rolleyes:

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
You are of course refering to Real madrid at home where he scored the second goal and a certain someone scored the first goal;) . If I remember correctly and I do remember correctly we came second in Serie A but won the Cl so how was he a protagonist in a season in which we came second and the 1 Cl goal you are referring to
He didn't just score one goal! I think he was our top scorer during that season since Vialli and Ravanelli had many injury problems. In the league he was keeping us adrift with goals that won us matches. In fact we won many 1-0 matches that season.

I'm not saying he's a great player, but during that season Padovano was very important for the team, even if he had started out as a reserve.

Aug 10, 2002
I havent read through the topic but i will just say some people are too harsh on del piero. Shevechenko is supposedly milans best striker but i never see him getting involved. Likewise for Vieri and Totti, montella, inzaghi.

mate

Aug 28, 2002

So why quit in 94? Are you saying you consider him the best ever only based on the period up until 94?
No 4 all his career but that (1992/1995) was the period in which he was with no dubts the best soccer player in the world.
I don't think he was the best of the world in every single year he played, he was it 4 some years, and this is also a very rare thing cause not so many players has been so clearely "the best" (like 4 example now who is it? When it was Roby nobody had doubt, but not always is like this) and overral too cause actually also 4 the others not all the years are the same, and he always kept a very hight level.
Anycase in those long period in which he is in the pic... nobody in Italy arrived even to "can be compared" with him... abroad yes (see Romaldo, Zidane, ecc...) but here not. And btw it will come long till somebody who will deserve a place in the soccer legends will be born here... of course i hope not, but 4 the rule of the "casuality" they are never born so near in the same country and btw is also rare to see countrys with more than one legend...

mate

Aug 28, 2002

You cannot call Italy a schitty team, no matter how badly they played... they're Italy, and they have quality players through all generations.

Teams like Napoli on the other hand :rolleyes:
I know and actually reading the names that USA 94 teams was also suppose to be good... but did you see the matches? :groan:

Napoli now sucks, but in the Diego's years they weare not schit... there weare a lot of good players in it.... of course not like in Milan but still it was a good team.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++

I'm not saying he's a great player, but during that season Padovano was very important for the team, even if he had started out as a reserve.
Yes in that year he was ;)
He starded as a sub and came out to be one of the protagonists of the succes, I also remember...

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Zizou ,lets forget about Padovano as he was driven out of Crystal Palace so there is no need to talk about him

Mate, as you can see I am not the only one who does not share your view and i think its rather insulting of you to always equate liking Dp as a player to be only young girls

Buffon is a great and there is no getting away from that fact but please don't tell me a team which comprised of Albertini, Signori, Baresi, Maldini was a shitty team and stop your patrionasing of ppl by telling them because u assume they are too young to have seen the wc94 or juve in 92 they don't know what they are talkingabout

I saw Usa 94 and apart from his goals which helped Italy, his overall performance was poor , he contributed more playing wise in France 98 imo

Just out of curiousity why is Baresi or Maldini not called the greatest Italian , is it because they didnt wear number 10?

You can say what you like but you cannot hide from the fact that greatness has to ally with actually winning of a tournament not just getting to the final as how is that different from what Stoichkov did with Bulgaria

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by JuveTrueChamps ] ++
I havent read through the topic but i will just say some people are too harsh on del piero. Shevechenko is supposedly milans best striker but i never see him getting involved. Likewise for Vieri and Totti, montella, inzaghi.
You must be kidding.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

"The simble of soccer" isn't something related to the present...
But yes, Buffon may be the best Italian right now, why not? Why Totti or Vieri schould be ahead of him? ;) Just cause they made goals and he avoid them but Gigi is at the moment one of the best players of the world, and infact it was the first time that UEFA voted a goalkeeper as the best CL player :)
Good point mate :)
Even if goalkeepers are great, they seem to be behind other players, cause they save, not score.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++

Good point mate :)
Even if goalkeepers are great, they seem to be behind other players, cause they save, not score.
Hopefully, the goalkeeper should be behind the other players... unless of course they're named Poom or Robinson ;)

Hehe j/k i know what u meant~

++ [ originally posted by JuveTrueChamps ] ++
Shevechenko is supposedly milans best striker but i never see him getting involved. Likewise for Vieri and Totti, montella, inzaghi.
Shevchenko doesn't get involved!? Totti!? :LOL:

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Zizou ,lets forget about Padovano as he was driven out of Crystal Palace so there is no need to talk about him

Mate, as you can see I am not the only one who does not share your view and i think its rather insulting of you to always equate liking Dp as a player to be only young girls

Buffon is a great and there is no getting away from that fact but please don't tell me a team which comprised of Albertini, Signori, Baresi, Maldini was a shitty team and stop your patrionasing of ppl by telling them because u assume they are too young to have seen the wc94 or juve in 92 they don't know what they are talkingabout

I saw Usa 94 and apart from his goals which helped Italy, his overall performance was poor , he contributed more playing wise in France 98 imo

Just out of curiousity why is Baresi or Maldini not called the greatest Italian , is it because they didnt wear number 10?

You can say what you like but you cannot hide from the fact that greatness has to ally with actually winning of a tournament not just getting to the final as how is that different from what Stoichkov did with Bulgaria
First I didn't insult you, it's you that try to insult me, but you don't offend me, you make me laught and that's it :LOL: It is always so clear who start

Did I ever that I want everybody has to have my exact opinuion? :confused:

And didn't you notice that also your opinoins are not shared from many... and this in a Juve forum... so imagine if you go in a not "just juventini" one with your DP praisings....

Do you have some dubts about that Baggio is considered Italian King both by Italians and not? Do you want to come out again whit your theorys that he "buy" pools and media :D Of course is sure that nobody shell agree and I know that every country has his stars so I'm not even come out to discuss it cause of course every body will support his own country one a bit 4 "sobjective question" and also cause of course when a player is from your country you know more from him. I also do not know about ouers country leagues and players like I knopw about the Italian is so normal.
But never I met somebody so anti-Baggio like you, really, especially cause you are so obsessed to spend so mutch time to speak about him... looks like is a mission 4 you! :D But is a "lost mission" cause you really will have to delate history to put him down, is not that if you come out saying "he didn't do so well in USA 94" I forget what I saw! :D

Stoickov? Well I guess that 4 Bulgaria he is kinda of what Maradona is 4 Argentina, Baggio 4 Italy, ecc... He rocked in USA 94. I remember that I was very pist cause 4 few votes Baggio didn't won his second golden ball but arrived second after him, but also if in the direct match (Italy-Bulgaria) Roby really schowed who was the best (one of his best match ever) I tought that he deserved it cause Bulgaria sucked more than Italy so 4 him was more difficolt than 4 Roby.

Buffon... we ware talking about right now, not about "ever".

Maldini and Baresi? Of course defender are penalized...hardly they manage to go over fowards in all the side... cause they are more spectacular Anycase the 2 you mentioned are surely 2 Italian legends.

mate

Aug 28, 2002

Hopefully, the goalkeeper should be behind the other players... unless of course they're named Poom or Robinson ;)
:LOL:

Goal keepers are the most important players of a team IMO.
You can have Zidane, Baggio and Ronaldo and they can make 3 goals every match... but you will not go anywear if you take 4...
A goal keeper can trow away a match or save it.
We don't get too mutch importance to that cause we are used to have good goalkeepers, but teams who has crappy goalkeepers knows how they can put the others 10 players in the shit with nothing...
Also all the defence change and play better when they have a guaranee behind them.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

Hehe j/k i know what u meant~
:D
But if you know, what I mean, you're forgiven ;)

And again mate: I agree with your post above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)