David Trezeguet (27 Viewers)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Not necessarily. Ranieri has in the past had preconcieved notions, that even some of the players have admitted to. He's been very clear about his favourites as most coaches at times tend to be but his reasons weren't justified. What is being said is, that Trez coming off injury was given one opportunity to prove himself in what was considered to be the biggest match of our season and he didnt bring game. But that can happen to the best of them. Buffon himself has had a bad run at times, but fortunately he's had the continuity to come back to his best. Fact of the matter is Ranieri then kept him out for personal reasons rather than technical. The difference between Amauri and Trez is that with Trez we know what guarantees he comes with. He's been with us 9 seasons banging in the goals like its nobody's business and no matter what, a striker like that deserves a second chance which he did not get. This is not to say his outburst should go unpunished. But when you look back in hindsight, Ranieri being the coach of the team should've done better to deal with the player's temperament than end up losing a large part of a legendary dressing room. So I'm sorry, Trezeguet cannot be shunted out of the club (if that is indeed the case here, which it may not also be), only because of one outburst especially after everything that he's done for this jersey.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
icεmαή;2023698 said:
Even though he wasn't fully fit, Ranieri put him in instead of the other strikers on the bench... It was most probably the match of the season for us and he put Trez in there instead of Amauri... Ranieri gave him the chance, he didn't take it... If he had kept his mouth shut instead of going to the media about it, he certainly would have got more chances... We went back to playing with two strikers after that game, and IQ was in hot form... no coach would bench a player in hot form unless there was a change in tactics... Trezeguet ruined this season for himself... no need to blame Ranieri for it... There are a lot of other things that can be blamed on Ranieri...
Alienating one of the most important players in the squad is not good management no matter how you look at it.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Trez was replaced by Iaquinta for the latter part of the season and he scored goals galore... Why would you want to bench a player who is in hot form? If you are saying that Iaquinta was Ranieri's favorite then why wasn't he preferred in the beginning of the season? If you rememeber Iaquinta became a regular, ahead of the other three in the latter part of the season... The thing with Trezeguet is (his agent actually) is that every year we hear rumours of him wanting to leave. Maybe its a ploy by his agent, I don't know... but it isn't giving out good vibes...

Alienating one of the most important players in the squad is not good management no matter how you look at it.
That is Ranieri's mistake... but that doesn't make what Trezeguet did, right...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Trez is an outspoken guy, as his coach Ranieri should know that, shouldn't he? It's his job to get the best out of these guys (including the Chelsea match) and he clearly did not, did he.

Iaquinta had a good end to the season, good for him. But Trez had his worst season in all of his career, in part due to the injury, in part due to the team breaking down. Now he's seriously considering a departure. A player who scored 20 goals in Serie A the year before and nearly became top scorer.

This is madness!

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
Trezeguet even when he played in the latter part of the season missed some chances which he would have buried with ease generally... He's one who scores out of nothing, someone who'd be invisible for 90% of the match and suddenly, Bang!! He wasn't that this season... Injuries did him yes, but he didn't take his chances... Iaquinta did, so as you said good for him... Like I said Ranieri failed in his job, David failed to keep his mouth shut...
If David's problem was with Ranieri, he's gone now... But he still seemed inclined to leave, at least according to his agent... If he wants to leave, then let him go... Respect his wishes... I don't want it to happen, but if not this year, then we'll hear the same thing again next year and the year after that... because he has had problems with this management ever since we were in B...

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
There's no denying that Trez is a fantastic goal scorer, but he's not the right player for us at the moment. His end of season was bad, both in terms of his attitude and play on the pitch. Players like Iaquinta and Amauri are at least useful if they are not playing well, but Trezeguet is just an spectator unless he scores a goal. He would be brilliant in a Arsenal or a Barca where he wouldnt need to do anything but goal hang, but for us him doing that is counter productive. We should sell him for decent money, for his sake as well as the clubs sake.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
The thing is any team would love to have players like Trez or Pippo... He'll still be useful for us, but he has to make up his mind on whether he wants to stay or not...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
icεmαή;2023751 said:
Like I said Ranieri failed in his job, David failed to keep his mouth shut...
I think the first caused the second. It's easy to keep everything internally as long as there's mutual trust but what Trez said basically amounted to him having lost confidence in Ranieri. And Ranieri from this point on only aggravated the problem by repeating "everything is going well" everytime we f up.

You're basically operating on the assumption that you can have the perfect world. Season goes to hell and everyone will still be all smiles and keep their mouth shut. Well Trez is not like that and I don't think he should be crucified for that comment, he said what we were all thinking.

He's worth way more to us even with an occasional comment to the press than if he wasn't here. This "absolute discipline" concept is stupid, it doesn't reflect the reality. People make mistakes and you should live with that.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
I think the first caused the second. It's easy to keep everything internally as long as there's mutual trust but what Trez said basically amounted to him having lost confidence in Ranieri. And Ranieri from this point on only aggravated the problem by repeating "everything is going well" everytime we f up.

You're basically operating on the assumption that you can have the perfect world. Season goes to hell and everyone will still be all smiles and keep their mouth shut. Well Trez is not like that and I don't think he should be crucified for that comment, he said what we were all thinking.

He's worth way more to us even with an occasional comment to the press than if he wasn't here. This "absolute discipline" concept is stupid, it doesn't reflect the reality. People make mistakes and you should live with that.
When we lost the match to Chelsea we were still on a high... Things spiralled down after the post match comments and the media circus that followed... He took the worst possible moment to make those comments. Like I said earlier, Ranieri trusted him in the most important match of the season and gave him a starting role. He did almost nothing in the match and was rightly replaced.
The thing is that if you allow one person to talk his heart out, others will follow suit. Its not about absolute discipline. Far from it actually. The problem right now is that he fears that with Amauri getting more playing time and Iaquinta getting more recognition his playing time will dwindle. He has to accept that and fight for the starting role. If he's planning to leave because he's not promised a role in the starting XI, then I'm afraid we can't stop it. Because right now Ciro or anybody else can't promise that.

May 22, 2007
icεmαή;2023751 said:
Trezeguet even when he played in the latter part of the season missed some chances which he would have buried with ease generally... He's one who scores out of nothing, someone who'd be invisible for 90% of the match and suddenly, Bang!! He wasn't that this season... Injuries did him yes, but he didn't take his chances... Iaquinta did, so as you said good for him... Like I said Ranieri failed in his job, David failed to keep his mouth shut...
If David's problem was with Ranieri, he's gone now... But he still seemed inclined to leave, at least according to his agent... If he wants to leave, then let him go... Respect his wishes... I don't want it to happen, but if not this year, then we'll hear the same thing again next year and the year after that... because he has had problems with this management ever since we were in B...
I've watched all our games this year and honestly can't remember many chances recently, in which he has had an opportunity to score. His only chance which stands out was in the Coppa against Lazio which I thought was brilliantly saved by Carrizo (I think). His starts:goals ratio in the league is impressive though.

I'm not going to be biased and say that he should always start matches because as you said, Iaquinta had a brilliant end to the season and took his chances well scoring important goals for us. I just didn't really expect Trez to do much in the circumstances against Atalanta for example, in about 7 or 8 minutes.

I really hope he wants to stay on, because I can see many more goals from him if we improve our midfield with Diego and D'Agostino.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
icεmαή;2023776 said:
When we lost the match to Chelsea we were still on a high... Things spiralled down after the post match comments and the media circus that followed... He took the worst possible moment to make those comments. Like I said earlier, Ranieri trusted him in the most important match of the season and gave him a starting role. He did almost nothing in the match and was rightly replaced.
The thing is that if you allow one person to talk his heart out, others will follow suit. Its not about absolute discipline. Far from it actually. The problem right now is that he fears that with Amauri getting more playing time and Iaquinta getting more recognition his playing time will dwindle. He has to accept that and fight for the starting role. If he's planning to leave because he's not promised a role in the starting XI, then I'm afraid we can't stop it. Because right now Ciro or anybody else can't promise that.
This is a fallacy. We are not Inter. It's true that when you start talking frankly to the press the whole house can implode, but that doesn't mean one comment will set it off. He did not make that comment "at the worst possible time", he made it when it was all over, we were eliminated. And the fact that he didn't like being subbed just reflects his confidence that he could have decided that match despite not playing well. It's not as if he's never done it before. And after all, when did Iniesta send Barcelona to the final, against Chelsea? 90th minute, yes? Against a team as defensive as Chelsea you need one chance, and it pays off big time because they don't score a lot of goals. Trez has decided a lot of matches, and even though he wasn't on form he still believed in himself. That's a good thing, yes?

Jeez, this stuff drives me up the wall. I could never replace Rab.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
I don't think what Trezeguet said to L'Equipe was THAT bad. They asked him if he was disappointed to be substituted. He said yes and that he wasn't sure why Ranieri would take him off when they needed a goal and that it was probably a tactical reason that he didn't understand....or that he disagreed with his tactics or something.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
I've watched all our games this year and honestly can't remember many chances recently, in which he has had an opportunity to score. His only chance which stands out was in the Coppa against Lazio which I thought was brilliantly saved by Carrizo (I think). His starts:goals ratio in the league is impressive though.

I'm not going to be biased and say that he should always start matches because as you said, Iaquinta had a brilliant end to the season and took his chances well scoring important goals for us. I just didn't really expect Trez to do much in the circumstances against Atalanta for example, in about 7 or 8 minutes.

I really hope he wants to stay on, because I can see many more goals from him if we improve our midfield with Diego and D'Agostino.
I do remember thinking to myself Trezeguet would generally have buried that on more than a couple of occasions, I just can't seem to remember which matches exactly.

This is a fallacy. We are not Inter. It's true that when you start talking frankly to the press the whole house can implode, but that doesn't mean one comment will set it off. He did not make that comment "at the worst possible time", he made it when it was all over, we were eliminated. And the fact that he didn't like being subbed just reflects his confidence that he could have decided that match despite not playing well. It's not as if he's never done it before. And after all, when did Iniesta send Barcelona to the final, against Chelsea? 90th minute, yes? Against a team as defensive as Chelsea you need one chance, and it pays off big time because they don't score a lot of goals. Trez has decided a lot of matches, and even though he wasn't on form he still believed in himself. That's a good thing, yes?

Jeez, this stuff drives me up the wall. I could never replace Rab.
We are not Inter because our players are class.
You cannot expect the coach to sit back and not take action when you think a player wasn't performing as he should. Ranieri was right to sub David, whether he likes it or not. And he did do it at the worst possible time. He rubbed more salt into an already gaping wound.
You won't understand because you are just another Trezeguet fanboy :p

And you can never replace Rab :D He's one of a kind :heart:

Aug 1, 2003
Competition and rotation is good. If Iaq is in a better form, he should start. But hell, bear in mind this is Trezeguet we're speaking of, he didn't score all those goals for nothing, Trez knows what he can do. Why not let them bring the best out of each other. Treating him like crap and selling him only for him to score tons in another jersey is madness. I can't quite bring myself to read certain comments talking about Trez as if he's mediocre well he's not

[/pissed and emotional sorry]

Showdown25

Dag-nabit!
Apr 17, 2009
The only reason Trez would voice his concerns in the media was because there was little to no communication between him and Ranieri. They would communicate through the media. Ranieri probably just decided he didn't like him anymore or something. I dunno, maybe he just wanted to give him the Giovinco treatment. No one knows.

Mar 14, 2004
incorrect.

even if david doesn't score, his sheer presence on the field makes the opposition have to give extra special attention to him. thus freeing up another player on our team to score/create. sadly the lack of service is our achillles heel for the past few years. i mean come on, ADP shouldn't have to do everything all the time.
GREAT PLAYERS DON'T NEED SERVICE AT ALL TIMES!!!!!

they generate something else,it's obvious you know shit what I'm talking about up there and you want to just comment sth so we can feel your presence. It's not about Treze's presence,he generates presence for defenders just like I would if I went in the pitch as a naked streaker . But he's useful as a dead chicken in he doesn't get an poach or 1-1 chance.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
We should not sell him im afraid we will regret it if we do. He is still the best finisher we have in our team. Most of the games he played this season i think were alongside Amauri or IQ. He oviously is at his best playing alongside someone like Del Piero, just imagine how many goals he could get playing in a team with Diego, Di agostino or Gio. I dont think we will be able to get a better replacement either and i dont think we will get the money we deserve for him. The guy stayed in serie b with us im sure we can convince him to stay if we really want to keep him.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
GREAT PLAYERS DON'T NEED SERVICE AT ALL TIMES!!!!!

they generate something else,it's obvious you know shit what I'm talking about up there and you want to just comment sth so we can feel your presence. It's not about Treze's presence,he generates presence for defenders just like I would if I went in the pitch as a naked streaker . But he's useful as a dead chicken in he doesn't get an poach or 1-1 chance.
The guy has been getting us nearly 20 goals a season for the last 8 seasons if not more i dont care if he is useless for most of the match because it only takes him a second to score and he almost never fails when given the opportunity. He has bailed us out in some big games at the last second even if he has been playing poor. Thats just the type of player he is. The rest of his gameplay may be poor but i dont care because he guarantees us goals and as a striker thats all i can ask of him. Iaquints is brilliant in spells but over the course of a season i would put my trust Trezeguet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)