Dani Alves (13 Viewers)

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Agree, he was all over the place, caught many many times out of position.

But in fairness to him, whenever he gets the ball there is no one to him, he tries to up the tempo many times just to gve the ball to Khedira or Lemina who play it back to the defence, so he finds himself trying to do too much offensively.

No surprise that when we switched to 4 at the back with Cuadrado ahead of him, he was more disciplined and better.

He's a RB and clearly not adapted yet to playing as RWB.

Offensively he'll always deliver something, but defensively on 3 man midfield he looks really lost.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Mar 3, 2014

But in fairness to him, whenever he gets the ball there is no one to him, he tries to up the tempo many times just to gve the ball to Khedira or Lemina who play it back to the defence, so he finds himself trying to do too much offensively.

No surprise that when we switched to 4 at the back with Cuadrado ahead of him, he was more disciplined and better.

Offensively he'll always deliver something, but defensively on 3 man midfield he looks really lost.
To me, 4 man defense has to be tried more.

At this point, for me it is easily:

----------Cuadrado-----Higuain-----Dybala--------
------------------Pjanic-------Khedira---------------
----------------------Marchisio-----------------------
Sandro----Bonucci--------------Barzagli-----Alves-

That being said, I'm finding it hard to justify benching Benatia. He is a freaking solid defender and an absolute beast. Depending on the game, Barzagli-Benatia might even be a better pairing.

- - - Updated - - -

Takes too many chances and needs to stay focused the whole 90 minutes. Holds the ball too much and when he remains out of options he either shoots, put a bad cross or puts his teammates on the spot with a risky back-pass. Not to mention the useless back-heels and other flashy things that rarely work. Also his positioning is really off, at some point he wandered between our back three and stood there until Barzagli waved and told him to get back on ther right. Now I'm not saying he's bad, it's just that his timing is usually off and he needs to improve his decision-making. Ideally he's the opposite of Lichtsteiner, an offensive wing-back that adds a lot in attack but is shaky in defence. But the trade-off isn't worth it yet. And he should overlap way more, like AS does. What happens is, the ball usually gets to him on the right. Instead of passing it and making a run behind the defence, he tries to dribble around a player or two, gets stuck there down on the wing and at that point Dybala needs to come from the penalty box to help him, if he's still in possession at that point. I don't get why Khedira isn't doing it instead, we're only left with Higuain up front and I think it's why Dybala has been playing so far away from goal lately. It worked for Alves at Barca, but they still had Neymar and Suarez there when Messi dropped deep to help.
It is the style in La Liga...I watch La Liga on Bein from time to time. That is La liga in a nutshell, with Barca being the extreme example.

Alves needs to adjust to Serie A. We play more direct.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
To me, 4 man defense has to be tried more.

At this point, for me it is easily:

----------Cuadrado-----Higuain-----Dybala--------
------------------Pjanic-------Khedira---------------
----------------------Marchisio-----------------------
Sandro----Bonucci--------------Barzagli-----Alves-

That being said, I'm finding it hard to justify benching Benatia. He is a freaking solid defender and an absolute beast. Depending on the game, Barzagli-Benatia might even be a better pairing.

- - - Updated - - -

It is the style in La Liga...I watch La Liga on Bein from time to time. That is La liga in a nutshell, with Barca being the extreme example.

Alves needs to adjust to Serie A. We play more direct.
It's his style, but he clealy has positionning problem when playing as RWB.

At barca, whenver he had the ball, he had numerous passing option, messi ahead of him, rakitic near him, Suarez making runs behind the defence, and Busquets as a fall out option.

In juve, he has only dybala who presents himself to get the ball and try to move forward, KHedira is static, Lemina as a DM in a No no and Higuain is too isolated, So alves find himself obliged to make some diagonal passes that often misplaced. He was frustrated by it on one point yesterday.

Playing someone like Cuadrado in front of him, give him more options. He's a very good player but he's clearly not adaptet to playing as WB yet.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
Allegri should really spend more time with Alves and instruct him what to do with the ball once he gets it. Also, Allegri should suck all of Alves' experience and football knowledge from Barca when it comes to off-the-ball movement cause at this point, i think it is the biggest problem Juve is having right now.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
It's far from the biggiest problem, wouldn't it call one. He just needs to adjust little more. But the fact of the matter is that we signed exactly because he has this kind quality and creative style. Fine tune his game to function better new teammates yes, but fundamentally change how a 33 year old legend plays the game completely is dumb idea.

Even if he allways been attacking, a small but important fact most don't realize is he pretty much never played actual wing back position before. Takes while getting used to on top of everything else.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's far from the biggiest problem, wouldn't it call one. He just needs to adjust little more. But the fact of the matter is that we signed exactly because he has this kind quality and creative style. Fine tune his game to function better new teammates yes, but fundamentally change how a 33 year old legend plays the game completely is dumb idea.

Even if he allways been attacking, a small but important fact most don't realize is he pretty much never played actual wing back position before. Takes while getting used to on top of everything else.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
This. Alves played as a winger for Barcelona. He played as an actual fullback for Brazil and I've seen him put in horrid performances (granted, he was never helped much by either Thiago Silva or David Luiz, but still). And I agree with the other part of your post as well. There's no need to change his game. Just use his strengths when you need them.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
He needs to provide width, that's a very very important function in 352. Him and Sandro are the only guys who can provide this.

In Barcelona he always had a fast right winger to exchange positions with, or even Messi. But Dybala isn't well suited for that imo.

Anyway, this is a relevant issue, but not the main one.

I'd say performances have been poor to 2 main problems: mentality and weak mid presence.

Pjanic is more the key to the problem.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Sucked badly today. Niang gave him heaps of problem and I lost the amount of times he gave the ball away or just found himself in awkward situations which there was no need of. Easily got frustrated. Get your shit together Dani!

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
dunno why he's all of a sudden our new playmaker.
Except for Dybala everyone else today was busy paper pushing, so he stepped up. It didn't lead to much, but the guy is driven.

He is obviously used to much more technical team mates and freedom to combine as they see fit. I started laughing in the second half when he attempted a quick short pass to Khedira anticipating a ball into space, just to turn around and see Khedira shipping it back to Nanes/Barzagli for the 50th time :lol:

May 22, 2007
From the moment Lichtsteiner joined the club he had an understanding with Pirlo, and it was almost telepathic at times. It contributed the first goal of the Conte era.

Dani Alves has not developed that type of relationship with anyone at the club and he's not performing to his full potential as a result. He's clearly willing to take on a lot of responsibility but he cannot control the game from the right flank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)