Croatian NT Thread (6 Viewers)

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
vlatko said:
the game is on wednesday, only 2 days to go. so far only certain that are not playing, as far as i know, are gerrard(suspended), hargreaves(injured) and ferdinand is injured but maybe he'll recover.

Do you think English "hooligans" will be making troubles at Zagreb? :D

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #42
    • V

V

mark83 said:

Do you think English "hooligans" will be making troubles at Zagreb? :D
    for their sake they better not. zagreb is quite wired about the fact the infamous "hooligans" are coming and i hope to god no riots will break. the english hooligans are no more what they were but it seems that we always catch a glimpse of their former glory on international away games, i seriously hope this won't be the case in zagreb cause it could turn out to be very ugly.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #44
    • V

V

Lamps: England can shine in Croatia
    Sun 08 Oct, 6:45 PM

Frank Lampard wants to celebrate his 50th England cap in style by beating Croatia in Wednesday's Euro 2008 qualifier in Zagreb.Steve McClaren's side dropped their first points of the campaign when they were held to a shock goalless draw by minnows Macedonia at Old Trafford on Saturday.

It has raised the stakes against the Croatians, who have not lost a competitive game in Zagreb since gaining their independence 16 years ago - but were beaten there by France in a friendly international in 2000. :cool:

But Lampard, who won his first cap seven years ago against Belgium at the Stadium Of Light, is urging England to stand up and be counted when they confront what is likely to be a hostile atmosphere.

The Chelsea midfielder said: "Wednesday is potentially the hardest game in the group although Russia and Israel away will also be difficult.

"Croatia will test us. We have got to stand up on Wednesday to a hostile crowd, a good technical side and show what we are made of as a team. We've got to stand up and be counted.

"They always produce players from a young age who are technically good players and they have always got a bit of an edge to them. They are determined and will be desperate to beat England.

"They are tactically a clever team as well. I watched them in the World Cup and they gave Brazil a really tough game. That's the sort of players they have got.

"But I scored my first England goal against Croatia and also scored against them in Euro 2004. They are nice memories.

"It will be a nice time on Wednesday to get another one especially with it being my 50th cap."

Lampard admitted: "It seems a long time ago since I won my first cap in Sunderland.

"I then went out of the team. I was in the wilderness for a couple of years after that but I've come back.

"To get to 50 caps will mean a lot. It is a milestone. Stevie G (Steven Gerrard) got there recently and it is something I've always wanted to do.

"I'm very proud. A lot of big names have got to that milestone and I want to get there and then push on.

"It will be a nice feeling for me before the game and when walking out. But when you go on the pitch, you just concentrate on the game."

Lampard dismissed the suggestion that England should cruise through to the Euro 2008 finals in Switzerland and Austria and insisted Macedonia should be taken seriously as a footballing nation.

He said: "People who said it was an easy group weren't looking properly at the group.

"Like I said, you can't underestimate Croatia, Russia and Israel - and also Macedonia as we have seen from the way they performed against us.

"They have all got talented players and it was never going to be a group where you are going to breeze through and win every game and come top.

"There will be these certain games that are difficult. It's about qualifying.

"The draw with Macedonia is a small setback - but we have to make sure we get our heads down and try and put it right on Wednesday now.

"I don't think Saturday was a reality check. We were quite realistic in the dressing room and we understand that, as much as you want to win every game, it doesn't always work that way.

"Macedonia didn't surprise me. People and the lads in the drssing room should have respect for Macedonia.

"People say 'Macedonia' and a few years ago you wouldn't even count them as a real challenge.

"But they have got good quality players especially up front and in midfield. We half expected them to be dangerous on the counter-attack like they were.

"We expected ourselves to have that little edge more that would have put us in the lead and won the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cautious words from frank lampard, england knows what they can expect.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #45
    • V

V

rscafan said:
    Are you going to watch the game guys?
    a mate of mine will get 3 tickets, but since there is more of us he will probably sell them for some nice money and we'll all watch it from a pub. the tickets are damn expensive for this game, especially for our standards, the cheapest ticket costs about 40 euro and the most expensive almost about 70,80 euro. so in front of the stadium before the game starts you can sell tickets for 2,3 times their price. my mate has 3 tickets for the most expensive stand so he's gonna make some nice money which will be put to better use during the game. ;)

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #46
    • V

V

McClaren ready to change tack for Zagreb

Crisis of form may prompt switch to 3-5-2 formation
    Downing's place under threat as Gerrard banned

Daniel Taylor and Kevin McCarra
    Monday October 9, 2006
    The Guardian

Steve McClaren is giving serious consideration to reconfiguring England to a 3-5-2 formation in the wake of a desperately disappointing result against Macedonia and Steven Gerrard's absence from the Euro 2008 qualifying tie against Croatia on Wednesday.

McClaren, who has resisted the temptation to call in David Beckham, had toyed with the idea before the Macedonia game only to opt for an orthodox 4-4-2. However, Gerrard's absence through a one-match ban is viewed as a dangerous setback and, with a stiff test expected in Zagreb, McClaren is understood to have reservations about whether Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips is equipped for a straight swap on the right of midfield.

The England manager is undecided but is thinking about using either Wright-Phillips or Phil Neville as a right wing-back, with Ashley Cole fulfilling the same role on the left. If, as expected, Rio Ferdinand is passed fit, he would regain his place in the centre of defence alongside John Terry and Gary Neville.

The obvious loser would be Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing, for whom there may be no place in midfield. One possibility is that Michael Carrick could be joined by another holding midfielder, with Ledley King, Phil Neville and Scott Parker the candidates.

McClaren is experiencing his first brush with adversity in the job. Three wins were followed by the "reality check" of a goalless draw at Old Trafford and as well as Gerrard's suspension, concern continues over the loss of form by the side's most mercurial player, Wayne Rooney.

"Nobody is more frustrated than Wayne," the manager said. "He is below his usual performances. Everyone can see that but Wayne's got the resilience and the character we have to show as a team. He needs to work through it. That's what he's doing. Nobody's working harder to do that than him. You can't just give up. He's frustrated. The next game may be the one where it happens."

There was a strong indication that Rooney will not be dropped and McClaren has few other options in the middle of the attack, where Jermain Defoe's present form at Spurs does not suggest he would be any sort of improvement. In any case, the forwards are not the principal worry for the manager. The injured Owen Hargreaves was badly missed on Saturday for his energetic combativeness in midfield and his replacement Carrick confirmed he is a more languid type of player.

"That's something we've got to look at, me in particular, and when we get back on the training ground we've got to put it right," said McClaren, whose squad will practise today before flying to Zagreb tomorrow, where Croatia have never lost a competitive match. "The intensity we normally have wasn't quite there. I don't think it was down to personnel or the fact we didn't have Hargreaves. It was just something that went through the team. We didn't start on the front foot."

McClaren does not appear inclined to call in a replacement for Gerrard and is more sensitive to the reaction from the existing squad. "We've taken the plaudits for our football and our grit in [the 1-0 win in] Macedonia and we have to take the criticism but the key thing is how you bounce back. I thought it would come some time and now it has. You expect it any day. You know football. It's very unpredictable."

Severe criticisms will be made as McClaren reviews Saturday's deficiencies with his squad but the pressure is also on the manager to deliver a far better display in Zagreb.

chester

Too busy to bother
    May 20, 2006
    vlatko said:
    a mate of mine will get 3 tickets, but since there is more of us he will probably sell them for some nice money and we'll all watch it from a pub. the tickets are damn expensive for this game, especially for our standards, the cheapest ticket costs about 40 euro and the most expensive almost about 70,80 euro. so in front of the stadium before the game starts you can sell tickets for 2,3 times their price. my mate has 3 tickets for the most expensive stand so he's gonna make some nice money which will be put to better use during the game. ;)
    better use, something like this:
    :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: and so on

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #48
    • V

V

rscafan said:
    better use, something like this:
    :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: and so on
    something along those lines, yeah. ;)

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    i expected "Big Mac" to be on the defensive.They were defending against Macedonia away ffs.Thats why hes thinking of the 3-5-2 with phillip neville there.

The weakest link is gary neville atm. Same goes Lampard, who cant even get pass right these days.

chester

Too busy to bother
    May 20, 2006
    England boss Steve McClaren is convinced Wayne Rooney will eventually return to form because of his strength of character.

The 20-year-old Manchester United star has struggled so far this season with a combination of suspension and injury hindering his progress.

He failed to impress in Saturday's goalless draw with FYR Macedonia but McClaren is determined to persevere with the player.

"He needs games and needs to work through that," he said. "That's what he's doing. Nobody's working harder to do that than him.

"You can't just give up. I've seen him work extra in training. He's frustrated. Wayne has to show character and resilience now and come through it.

"Everyone knows what a quality player he is. Everybody knows what he can do. He does and we do and the next game may be the one where it happens.

"I'm not going to say who is going to play on Wednesday. He needs to work through it and he will start working through it on Monday."

England face a tough trip to Zagreb to play Croatia in their fourth Euro 2008 qualifier on Wednesday.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #53
    • V

V

rscafan said:
    I see, you won't be bored at all Wednesday.
    exactly.

will said:
    i think that if england play well they will win but the problem is when they take the lead they sit back
    england are favourites that is sure, but their recent form and croatia record on the zagreb turf(never lost a match here since we exist, that's 16 years), say the most realistic result will be a draw. but like i said even though a draw would satisfy us we won't be playing for it.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #54
    • V

V

Tight security for Croatia-England Euro 2008 qualifier

Mon Oct 9, 11:25 AM ET

ZAGREB (AFP) - Croatian police will step up security for this week's Euro 2008 "high risk" qualifier against England.

"Wednesday's qualifier against England is considered a high risk match," a Croatian Football Federation official, Zorislav Srebric, told journalists Monday.

Some 4,500 English fans are expected in Zagreb for the match, he said adding that the federation and police would do everything possible to avoid incidents.

A special English police team is also to arrive in Zagreb on Tuesday to help their Croatian counterparts for the occasion, a police statement said.

Croatia and England play in Group E alongside Andorra, Estonia,
    Israel, Macedonia and Russia.

On Saturday, Croatia defeated Andorra 7-0 while England played a goalless draw against Macedonia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they said the same for arsenal when they played dinamo..but if this is true, holly shit, it could be ugly. and the stadium is just across the street from my home.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #55
    • V

V

England are running scared - Croatia

Croatia assistant coach Aljosa Asanovic claims England boss Steve McClaren "wouldn't dare" tinker with his formation ahead of Wednesday's Euro 2008 qualifier.

McClaren has hinted he will switch from the 4-4-2 which failed to sparkle in the goalless draw against Macedonia on Saturday to a 3-5-2 for the trip to Zagreb.

But Asanovic, who has experience of playing in England with Derby, believes the visitors will stick with four men across the midfield. He said: "McClaren won't be trying 3-5-2, not against us, he wouldn't dare.

"We respect England but we are not afraid of them. Our team is good and we can do a great job." Croatia coach Slaven Bilic, who lists Premiership sides West Ham and Everton as two of his former clubs, played down the lacklustre nature of England's weekend draw, even claiming McClaren's men had played well.

He said: "England were good against a Macedonia side which was fighting hard for a draw. "We will try to win, especially as we have to maintain our record of having never lost a home qualifier.

"We are not interested in their draw against Macedonia, we will just focus on ourselves. "I actually wanted England to beat all the sides (in the group) except us. But that's okay, Russia are down but the Israelis are coming up."

Bilic will again be without Goran Sablic, who missed Saturday's 7-0 thrashing of Andorra through injury.

And he is concerned that may hamper their chances of coping with England's beanpole striker Peter Crouch.

"Goran Sablic is injured again, so he is out, which is a handicap for us," added Bilic.

"In defence, it is important not to allow Crouch to get near the box, to let him collect the ball in the centre.

"Darijo Srna is also injured, it is almost certain he won't appear this Wednesday. We gathered some self-confidence in beating Andorra 7-0 on Saturday but this (facing England) will be something completely different."

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #56
    • V

V

UEFA THREATEN CROATIA IN RACISM ROW
    Posted 10/10/06 07:17

UEFA have warned Croatia they could be excluded from Euro 2008 if their fans continue to flout the game's anti-racism rules.

William Gaillard, the head of communications for European football's governing body, issued the warning to Croatian fans ahead of Wednesday's Euro 2008 qualifier against England, reminding them repeat offenders face serious punishment for any form of racial abuse.

Gaillard said: "We have had serious incidents of racism with Croatian fans in the past so we can impose heavier sanctions if it happens again which ultimately could be exclusion from the competition.

"There are new rules which can lead to exclusion from a competition and docking points in extreme cases. We will monitor events closely.

"Ourselves and FIFA have imposed sanctions and the sanctions will be heavier in the future."

FIFA has charged the Croatian Football Federation with bringing the game into disrepute after fans formed a human swastika on the terraces two months ago during a friendly international in Italy in Livorno.

Croatia were fined during Euro 2004 over racist banners flown at a game against France.

please, you idiotic morons, don't do shit like that again.

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    vlatko said:
    UEFA THREATEN CROATIA IN RACISM ROW
    Posted 10/10/06 07:17

UEFA have warned Croatia they could be excluded from Euro 2008 if their fans continue to flout the game's anti-racism rules.

William Gaillard, the head of communications for European football's governing body, issued the warning to Croatian fans ahead of Wednesday's Euro 2008 qualifier against England, reminding them repeat offenders face serious punishment for any form of racial abuse.

Gaillard said: "We have had serious incidents of racism with Croatian fans in the past so we can impose heavier sanctions if it happens again which ultimately could be exclusion from the competition.

"There are new rules which can lead to exclusion from a competition and docking points in extreme cases. We will monitor events closely.

"Ourselves and FIFA have imposed sanctions and the sanctions will be heavier in the future."

FIFA has charged the Croatian Football Federation with bringing the game into disrepute after fans formed a human swastika on the terraces two months ago during a friendly international in Italy in Livorno.

Croatia were fined during Euro 2004 over racist banners flown at a game against France.

please, you idiotic morons, don't do shit like that again.
    this is something that happens week in week out in spain and now even in Germany. I didnt see any heavy sanctions occuring there. This is total BS they know they can't do anything against the big countries thats why they go for the smaller ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)