Cristiano Ronaldo (44 Viewers)

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
So why dont we then? Why is the rest of the squad not being upgraded?

Surely if you want to build around Ronaldo you have to povide some sort of foundation for it to work.

We dont have that - we have an average/Subpar team with an aging Ronaldo in it.

Its not a sustainable plan in any case to just keep this narrow minded scenario going any further
Because we have not spent it well, not because we didn't have money bc of Ronaldo.

We have spent 500m after buying him. Not his fault it was spent in retarded and unnecessary ways.

Buy on AliExpress.com

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016

Investing is not spending, mow much more revenue has that 85 mil generate
Because we have not spent it well, not because we didn't have money bc of Ronaldo.

We have spent 500m after buying him. Not his fault it was spent in retarded and unnecessary ways.

Im certainly no accountant, and please feel free to correct me on this , but its seems like a fairy tale that Ronaldo, earning around £540,000 a week (this is the estimate i found online at least) , wont have an affect on our wage structure.

Yes, he sells an incredible amount of merch and our social media follwing quadrupled, but im not thinking about the juventus brand, im thinking about our squad.

There surely must be a budget/wage structure and if one player takes up a huge percentage of the overall budget, it has to affect the potential to give other players wages/bonuses etc too ?

What if we wanted to sign another player that demands a relatively big salary and this breaks our structure? you just raise the budget with no consequence?

Im finding it hard to believe that having this enormous expense (at least when looking at percentages of our overall wages ) dont give us any sort of limitations.

When we needed a replacement for Pjanic we had to take a shortcut and go for Arthur, who earns in comparison £60,000-a-week ( at least thats what i found online, again please correct me if im wrong here), We also brought in Mckennie and although i dont think he is terrible, he is far from what we should expect as an improvement in our midfield. This feels like a result of shortcomings and limitations rather than improvement.

When it comes to it not being Ronaldos fault that we have wasted money i offcourse agree and under no circumstance am i blaming Ronaldo alone for that.

However, at some point you have to cut your losses and look at whats going on and where we want to be in the future:

We brought Ronaldo in to win champions league, that was a clear objective: 3 years later, no champions league, and a bunch of embarassing CL exits.
heck, not even serie A this year and our squad is arguably worse than i can remember for a long time.

Not Ronaldos fault? fair point , but the facts is we have degraded our squad and our overall quality has decreased.

This year, and the next will be crucial for us in terms of rebuilding and transitioning into (hopefully) a modern squad with new and fresh blood.

We have a bunch of players that is getting close to the end ( at least in Buffon and Chiellinis case) and the rest are not getting any younger either.

Screenshot 2021-04-08 173541.png

My point here is that i completely understand people being a bit anxious and negative towards putting all our eggs in the "Ronaldo basket" and just hope for the best, when it clearly hasnt worked out according to plan. Personally id rather spread out the quality on a refurbished team, which IMHO is the way to go for the future.

Its a question of how the squad will look like, not only next season , but for 5-10 years in the future.

Last edited:

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
I get that, but Ronaldo's wages did not stop us from signing Can, Ramsey and Rabiot to huge contracts. Didn't stop us from bringing back Buffon when we had 3 GKs already. Didn't stop us from bringing back Bonucci when we already had a very good defense. Didn't stop us from renewing contracts to Mario, Khedira and Matuidi, then paying them and Higuain to leave 6 months later. Didn't stop us from giving huge wages to De Ligt, Arthur and then having Allegri and his staff on the payroll together with Sarri. Didn't stop us from buying Kulusevski for big money after half a good season etc.

We have spent a lot and lot of money both on fees and wages since signing Ronaldo. We didn't have to do the Pjanić deal, we chose to do it.

Yeah Ronaldo's wages impact the finances heavily, but so do all those other deals and Ronaldo along with De Ligt is the only one justifying his money.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Im certainly no accountant, and please feel free to correct me on this , but its seems like a fairy tale that Ronaldo, earning around £540,000 a week (this is the estimate i found online at least) , wont have an affect on our wage structure.

Yes, he sells an incredible amount of merch and our social media follwing quadrupled, but im not thinking about the juventus brand, im thinking about our squad.

There surely must be a budget/wage structure and if one player takes up a huge percentage of the overall budget, it has to affect the potential to give other players wages/bonuses etc too ?

What if we wanted to sign another player that demands a relatively big salary and this breaks our structure? you just raise the budget with no consequence?

Im finding it hard to believe that having this enormous expense (at least when looking at percentages of our overall wages ) dont give us any sort of limitations.

When we needed a replacement for Pjanic we had to take a shortcut and go for Arthur, who earns in comparison £60,000-a-week ( at least thats what i found online, again please correct me if im wrong here), We also brought in Mckennie and although i dont think he is terrible, he is far from what we should expect as an improvement in our midfield. This feels like a result of shortcomings and limitations rather than improvement.

When it comes to it not being Ronaldos fault that we have wasted money i offcourse agree and under no circumstance am i blaming Ronaldo alone for that.

However, at some point you have to cut your losses and look at whats going on and where we want to be in the future:

We brought Ronaldo in to win champions league, that was a clear objective: 3 years later, no champions league, and a bunch of embarassing CL exits.
heck, not even serie A this year and our squad is arguably worse than i can remember for a long time.

Not Ronaldos fault? fair point , but the facts is we have degraded our squad and our overall quality has decreased.

This year, and the next will be crucial for us in terms of rebuilding and transitioning into (hopefully) a modern squad with new and fresh blood.

We have a bunch of players that is getting close to the end ( at least in Buffon and Chiellinis case) and the rest are not getting any younger either.

Screenshot 2021-04-08 173541.png

My point here is that i completely understand people being a bit anxious and negative towards putting all our eggs in the "Ronaldo basket" and just hope for the best, when it clearly hasnt worked out according to plan. Personally id rather spread out the quality on a refurbished team, which IMHO is the way to go for the future.

Its a question of how the squad will look like, not only next season , but for 5-10 years in the future.
We spent an absolute fortune on Arthur. So that’s hardly supportive of the point you’re arguing. 72mil + 10mil. And he isn’t being paid peanuts, I believe he’s on the same wages as Morata, Cuadrado, Chiesa, etc. 5 mil net/year.

Maybe sort out shit like spending stupid money on overrated turds like Rabiot, Arthur, Ramsey, etc before we bitch about our leading scorer and top player.

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016
We spent an absolute fortune on Arthur. So that’s hardly supportive of the point you’re arguing. 72mil + 10mil. And he isn’t being paid peanuts, I believe he’s on the same wages as Morata, Cuadrado, Chiesa, etc. 5 mil net/year.

Maybe sort out shit like spending stupid money on overrated turds like Rabiot, Arthur, Ramsey, etc before we bitch about our leading scorer and top player.
Again, I'm talking about our wage structure overall here specifically, and If the numbers I referred to with Arthur was wrong it wasn't trying to make it look worse (it was literally the numbers I found from the net) . If having a normal discussion is bitching then so be it.

I agree on the names you mentioned is bad investments and I specifically mentioned that I dont blame Ronaldo for those.

However , I do see a need for change to not continue down the same path as we have done the last years as it has been a failure

- - - Updated - - -

I get that, but Ronaldo's wages did not stop us from signing Can, Ramsey and Rabiot to huge contract. Didn't stop us from bringing back Buffon when we had 3 GKs already. Didn't stop us from bringing back Bonucci when we already had a very good defense. Didn't stop us from renewing contracts to Mario, Khedira and Matuidi, then paying them and Higuain to leave 6 months later. Didn't stop us from giving huge wages to De Ligt, Arthur and then having Allegri and his staff on the payroll together with Sarri. Didn't stop us from buying Kulusevski for big money after half a good season etc.

We have spent a lot and lot of money both on fees and wages since signing Ronaldo. We didn't have to do the Pjanić deal, we chose to do it.

Yeah Ronaldo's wages impact the finances heavily, but so do all those other deals and Ronaldo along with De Ligt is the only one justifying his money.
I respect the answer, and see your point. You are correct : The investments has been bad, and this is on our management, not Ronaldo.

What I'm personally concerned with is that we become so dedicated and blinded to make it work with Ronaldo and this dream of winning CL, when in reality we should be concerned with our overall quality and the future.

Anyways, it's easy to blame ronaldo and make him a scapegoat for our shortcomings as he is the biggest profile and our main man, and I'm aware of that.

I'm just skeptical for our priorities at the moment and my biggest interest is to see us play well and be competitive again, regardless if we keep Ronaldo or not.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Again, I'm talking about our wage structure overall here specifically, and If the numbers I referred to with Arthur was wrong it wasn't trying to make it look worse (it was literally the numbers I found from the net) . If having a normal discussion is bitching then so be it.

I agree on the names you mentioned is bad investments and I specifically mentioned that I dont blame Ronaldo for those.

However , I do see a need for change to not continue down the same path as we have done the last years as it has been a failure

- - - Updated - - -

I respect the answer, and see your point. You are correct : The investments has been bad, and this is on our management, not Ronaldo.

What I'm personally concerned with is that we become so dedicated and blinded to make it work with Ronaldo and this dream of winning CL, when in reality we should be concerned with our overall quality and the future.

Anyways, it's easy to blame ronaldo and make him a scapegoat for our shortcomings as he is the biggest profile and our main man, and I'm aware of that.

I'm just skeptical for our priorities at the moment and my biggest interest is to see us play well and be competitive again, regardless if we keep Ronaldo or not.
Apologies. I didn’t mean you specifically were bitching. Just been reading some strange stuff about a guy who alongside De Ligt had been our only truly consistent top performer of the past 3 years.

I agree that the path we are on is failing pretty miserably due to some rather spectacularly bad transfers. I think Ronaldo could have worked and led us to CL glory, but our management would have had to operate close to flawlessly to do so, because of the wage structure and difficulties accommodating Ronaldo’s wages to our financial capabilities. Clearly they weren’t up to the task.

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016
Apologies. I didn’t mean you specifically were bitching. Just been reading some strange stuff about a guy who alongside De Ligt had been our only truly consistent top performer of the past 3 years.

I agree that the path we are on is failing pretty miserably due to some rather spectacularly bad transfers. I think Ronaldo could have worked and led us to CL glory, but our management would have had to operate close to flawlessly to do so, because of the wage structure and difficulties accommodating Ronaldo’s wages to our financial capabilities. Clearly they weren’t up to the task.
No offence taken. We are all Juve fans here wanting the best for our club. (Apart from that Bayern guy lol ) . The goal is the same but with different opinions of course.

Sometimes it's easy to lash out at players when things dont go the right way and I find myself doing that also.

But as you say the management is where the finger should be pointed most of the time. They make the final decisions and planning.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Yes, he sells an incredible amount of merch
People seem to have a pretty warped idea about that.

There was an immediate & initial spike when we signed him. But that's about it.
Our revenue from merchandise actually decreased in his second season. And not a small drop either: more than 27% less. So, essentially, almost back to the level it was before we signed him. Had Covid not happened, the numbers would have been a bit better obviously. Around a 20% drop, one would think.

With COVID still going on, I expect our merchandise revenue to take yet another dive this fiscal year. I have a feeling that another drop of anywhere between 20-50% is a pretty realistic prediction. Which would bring the numbers back down to the level they were on quite a few years before we signed him.

Jun 7, 2003

Our revenue from merchandise actually decreased in his second season. And not a small drop either: more than 27% less. So, essentially, almost back to the level it was before we signed him. Had Covid not happened, the numbers would have been a bit better obviously. Around a 20% drop, one would think.

With COVID still going on, I expect our merchandise revenue to take yet another dive this fiscal year. I have a feeling that another drop of anywhere between 20-50% is a pretty realistic prediction. Which would bring the numbers back down to the level they were on quite a few years before we signed him.
Because he is decreasing with us, would we have won CL i think they would have go up and if we help him win Ballon D'Or then it would go also up

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Because he is decreasing with us, would we have won CL i think they would have go up and if we help him win Ballon D'Or then it would go also up
Of course they would have gone up had we won CL. That has nothing to do with Ronaldo. We were much closer to winning it before Ronaldo. Anyone who thought signing him would make us favourites was delusional.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012

Well said. Ronaldo fanboys just don't think about this rationally, which is normal.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
tenor.gif

Doesn't matter if we were closer or not, winning it is what matters
Yes it does. Especially when we are talking about revenue and exposure.

But more importantly, when you are reaching finals or the later stages regularly, it means you are doing things right and need small improvements and a bit of luck to win it. When you get embarassed by shit teams in ro16 every year, even thinking about winning is ridiculous.

Jun 7, 2003
Yes it does. Especially when we are talking about revenue and exposure.

But more importantly, when you are reaching finals or the later stages regularly, it means you are doing things right and need small improvements and a bit of luck to win it. When you get embarassed by shit teams in ro16 every year, even thinking about winning is ridiculous.
Revenue and exposure doesn't interest me, i'd rather have not played those finals instead of losing both and holding the record of 7 final losses.

Next year is our year, with Ronaldo it's possible. Just win with him 4-5 in row or something like this. He is holding all the records for CL, of course you are thinking about winning when you have him in your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)