Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (49 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Fortunately we're slow enough to things in Portugal that we get to see these things coming, so our spread is a bit more balanced at the moment:

https://covid19.min-saude.pt/ponto-de-situacao-atual-em-portugal/

So we've got flash mobs at 10pm applauding the health service workers across the country:

Which is very cool. They're planning it again tonight with singing the national anthem as well. That said, nobody but nobody tops Italy :cool: :

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,526
    Anecdotal from Saturday:

Just eyeballing, road traffic was down in my area about 40-50% late afternoon and evening. Foot traffic and patrons in a large restaurant and bar area was also down 50-60% from my estimates. Went to Costco to get gas around 7pm and there was virtually no cars whatsoever in the parking lot or the gas station, which was rather strange because those places are usually packed all day. The attendant at the gas station was diligently wiping down each gas terminal with cleaning materials after each car filled up. I said thanks to the guy and asked how busy it was earlier, and he said that all afternoon it was basically dead, which never happened before. Costco is still charging $2 per gallon, so those prices will be going lower as it was like $2.20 a couple weeks ago before the panic ensued.

So that's on average a 50% decline in service-related economic activity in my area, and we basically entered phase 1 of the outbreak. I am very concerned for my friends and others who work at restaurants and other places, as they aren't going to be making money soon. I won't be able risk going out for much longer though.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,529
    I'm not sure how this would be feasible. Even locking down a huge city like NYC doesn't seem feasible to me, unless you deploy the national guard. How far will they go to prevent people from travelling to different cities. That seems like a martial law scenario to me.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

These numbers will probably make them explore shutting down the city.

- - - Updated - - -

This may end up being everywhere soon.

Last edited:

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
    Just do what South Korea is doing?

Untitled.png
    We're very short on testing kits. According to CDC guidelines, unless they changed in past two days, only those who traveled and those who came into contact confirmed cases can get tested.

I assume they're in production. Anyone know when a lot more will be available?

- - - Updated - - -

The number of cases in warmer countries is lower than Europe. Heat slow down the spread but won't stop the virus completely
    So maybe something in between regular flu and MERS that survived 110 degrees of heat.

I bought three months of supplies. Maybe should've gotten double that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure how this would be feasible. Even locking down a huge city like NYC doesn't seem feasible to me, unless you deploy the national guard. How far will they go to prevent people from travelling to different cities. That seems like a martial law scenario to me.

This will likely happen sooner or later. Better to do it now. But my guess is they'll wait two weeks.

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Anecdotal from Saturday:

Just eyeballing, road traffic was down in my area about 40-50% late afternoon and evening. Foot traffic and patrons in a large restaurant and bar area was also down 50-60% from my estimates. Went to Costco to get gas around 7pm and there was virtually no cars whatsoever in the parking lot or the gas station, which was rather strange because those places are usually packed all day. The attendant at the gas station was diligently wiping down each gas terminal with cleaning materials after each car filled up. I said thanks to the guy and asked how busy it was earlier, and he said that all afternoon it was basically dead, which never happened before. Costco is still charging $2 per gallon, so those prices will be going lower as it was like $2.20 a couple weeks ago before the panic ensued.

So that's on average a 50% decline in service-related economic activity in my area, and we basically entered phase 1 of the outbreak. I am very concerned for my friends and others who work at restaurants and other places, as they aren't going to be making money soon. I won't be able risk going out for much longer though.
    This is going to hurt a lot, and it's going to be very, very asymmetrical -- unevenly distributed -- at first. The last of San Francisco's non-tech nor finance economy will completely collapse, and that assisted living community for millennials will be left with nobody to do the assisting. Going to be bizarre when that area faces an adulting crisis where everyone keeps banging on their apps and there are no humans left to respond.

Imagine being an introvert in Italy. You are completely fucked with these guys who feel the need to be loud and outgoing every second of their lives. I have neighbours from Naples btw that's living on the doorstep of hell
    Or maybe you're sick with COVID-19 in isolation in your apartment and all you need is some sleep to hopefully get better and stay out of the hospital...

Next up in hoarding line is probably refrigerators. How do people store all this perishable food?
    Toilet paper don't spoil, yo.

I'm not sure how this would be feasible. Even locking down a huge city like NYC doesn't seem feasible to me, unless you deploy the national guard. How far will they go to prevent people from travelling to different cities. That seems like a martial law scenario to me.]
    After what happened with New Rochelle, I'd been following the people who were suggesting NYC would go on total lockdown within two weeks.

Just do what South Korea is doing?

Untitled.png
    Surrendering all their privacy? :D

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    We're very short on testing kits. According to CDC guidelines, unless they changed in past two days, only those who traveled and those who came into contact confirmed cases can get tested.

I assume they're in production. Anyone know when a lot more will be available?

- - - Updated - - -

So maybe something in between regular flu and MERS that survived 110 degrees of heat.

I bought three months of supplies. Maybe should've gotten double that.

- - - Updated - - -

This will likely happen sooner or later. Better to do it now. But my guess is they'll wait two weeks.
    we only started producing tests last week and the most any of the private labs were able to generate in a day was like a couple thousand. We’re unlikely to have proper testing capacity for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)