Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (36 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Europe is facing a fourth covid wave with cases rising in most of the continent.

Was really trying to visit soon guys, try to keep it down over there

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Man, in Portugal last week here I was at a conference gathering of about 300+ people. No masks, hugging, etc. (Yeah, it's one of those conferences. Not that transactional crap.) We had testing to get in OR evidence of full vaccination. I have to say, it was pretty freaking normal by the end.

And next week I am headed to the US for two months. I'm not sure what to expect, but I know I'm bringing duct tape on the plane.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
at least they have their freedom
Every country deserves their own personal freedumb fighters.

Saying you have that is like saying smelly stuff comes out your anus.
Speak for yourself!

Man, in Portugal last week here I was at a conference gathering of about 300+ people. No masks, hugging, etc. (Yeah, it's one of those conferences. Not that transactional crap.) We had testing to get in OR evidence of full vaccination. I have to say, it was pretty freaking normal by the end.
Same over here. All locations, events, etc where you have to use the COVID pass to get in, are completely normal once you're in. I hope this isn't going to change during the winter months.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Covid is a weird thing. My next door neighbour's grandad has very poor lung health, all sorts of problems and should probably have been dead years ago. He caught Covid and they presumed it would finish him off but he had almost no symptoms.

Meanwhile:

Molnupiravir: First pill to treat Covid gets approval in UK

Molnupiravir is the first pill designed to treat symptomatic Covid that has been approved by the UK medicines regulator. It will be given twice a day to vulnerable patients recently diagnosed with the disease. In clinical trials the pill cut the risk of hospitalisation or death by about half. Health Secretary Sajid Javid said the treatment was a "gamechanger" for the most frail and immunosuppressed. In a statement he said: "Today is a historic day for our country, as the UK is now the first country in the world to approve an antiviral that can be taken at home for Covid."

Molnupiravir, developed by the drug companies Merck, Sharp and Dohme (MSD) and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics, is the first antiviral medication for Covid which can be taken as a pill rather than injected or given intravenously.

The UK has agreed to purchase 480,000 courses with the first deliveries expected in November. Initially it will be given to both vaccinated and unvaccinated patients through a national study, with extra data on its effectiveness collected before any decision to order more. The drug needs to be given within five days of symptoms developing to be most effective.

The new treatment targets an enzyme that the virus uses to make copies of itself, introducing errors into its genetic code. That should prevent it from multiplying, so keeping virus levels low in the body and reducing the severity of the disease. Merck said that approach should make the treatment equally effective against new variants of the virus in the future.

Other countries including Australia, Singapore and South Korea have also made purchase agreements. Merck is the first company to report trial results of a pill to treat Covid, but other companies are working on similar treatments. Its rival Pfizer has started trials of two different antiviral tablets, while Swiss company Roche is working on a similar medication.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12,757
    Europe is facing a fourth covid wave with cases rising in most of the continent.

Was really trying to visit soon guys, try to keep it down over there
    I'm going to France in a few weeks.

Please stop fucking each other in the streets over there. Wear ya masks. Get the double jab. Stay the fuck home.

Jun 16, 2020

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    I'm going to France in a few weeks.

Please stop fucking each other in the streets over there. Wear ya masks. Get the double jab. Stay the fuck home.
    Hope you have a good time! Paris?

- - - Updated - - -

Was the same for the (South-)Americas, there were genetically less protected for diseases from Europe when Colombus arrived.

Small history lesson, made a big difference during the colonization.
    same with north native Americans. The flu fucked em up

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    We're almost a week after Halloween and the typically indoor parties that come with them. From this point through the next few months will show how much of a concern this really should be going forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)