Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (166 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Deceiving stats though. 40m people have been double vaccinated, about 10m people are aged 0-14 (under 12s cannot be vaccinated) in this country, and the majority are unlikely to have been vaccinated. The UK population total is about 65m. Officially 75% of adults have been double-vaccinated, and hospital admissions are overwhelmingly adults: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...insights/hospitals#hospital-admissions-by-age That 55% of unvaccinated people in hospital are maybe 25% of the population, and that is a top-end figure.

More kids are getting infected, and hospital admissions in comparison to January numbers are high because they are far less likely to be vaccinated. Older people are still dying more frequently than them, it would most likely still be the case for vaccinated >80 against unvaccinated <14, for obvious health reasons.

Does seem like the Delta variant is more transmissible than any of the earlier variants, but I think that has been considered at an early stage.
I hear ya, but at what rate of efficacy does it stop being worthwhile especially considering the discriminantory policies towards the reluctant? Flu for example has about a 50% morbidity prevention if my memory serves me correctly, no way good enough numbers to justify mandatory vax

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11,646
    - Obesity
    - Lack of exercise
    - Nutrition
    - Medical care costs are obscene if you don't have good insurance, and sometimes even if you do. This goes beyond just specifically COVID, as people live with undiagnosed or untreated healthcare issues. For example, my brother had a tooth infection, but his insurance will not cover it because he got work done on it before and they don't cover "rework." "You did nothing wrong and the dentist fucked up? lol Fuck you, $2,000 or live with pain. We will continue to collect money from your paychecks though, have a nice day."
    There are Americans who can't breathe even on a normal day without Covid. Like the dude who eats 2 Big Macs a day for the past 32 years... that dude gets Covid, he probably done. Be sure to sell stawk beforehand.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    I had to go to the ER a couple summers ago after a long trail race. Was very badly dehydrated and ended up getting some tests and a couple bags of saline. On recommendation of the race doctor and my physician. Cost me $4500 out of pocket after my insurance was like “we will pay nada”.
    I'm sure they have absolutely no problems taking money from you every paycheck though.

- - - Updated - - -

Don’t worry; should be fine.

Totally agree with the health care system in the US. It sucks big time.
    IMHO, the insurance companies are evil. The way they deny treatment is criminal.
    $1300-2000 per month premiums with a $3000-10000 deductible and you still don’t get your treatment partially or even fully covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that the government is any better.
    It has been fantastic on my end

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    Don’t worry; should be fine.

Totally agree with the health care system in the US. It sucks big time.
    IMHO, the insurance companies are evil. The way they deny treatment is criminal.
    $1300-2000 per month premiums with a $3000-10000 deductible and you still don’t get your treatment partially or even fully covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that the government is any better.
    Universal public health care here paid through our tax dollars is actually fantastic. Just because ‘murica can’t organize its bureaucracy to have effective, well-run, and non-bloated universal public health care doesn’t mean government organized and run health care is bad elsewhere. It’s fantastic here and most other first world nations.

- - - Updated - - -

How much would be good enough?
    Besides, that 3x isn’t even accurate given the nature of demographics.

And it doesn’t take into account that according to current numbers 95% plus of ICU Covid and deaths are occurring in the unvaccinated. Which says these vaccines are quite effective at preventing the most serious outcomes.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    Universal public health care here paid through our tax dollars is actually fantastic. Just because ‘murica can’t organize its bureaucracy to have effective, well-run, and non-bloated universal public health care doesn’t mean government organized and run health care is bad elsewhere. It’s fantastic here and most other first world nations.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, that 3x isn’t even accurate given the nature of demographics.

And it doesn’t take into account that according to current numbers 95% plus of ICU Covid and deaths are occurring in the unvaccinated. Which says these vaccines are quite effective at preventing the most serious outcomes.
    Yes these are not even death numbers. The 3x was my own rough calculation based on current vaccination rates and Bayesian probability. Since mRNA vaccines had more efficacy I expect that number to be even higher in the US.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
    Jan 17, 2011
    Especially Florida.

I might start worrying when I see my peers getting sick and dying but fortunately that hasn't happened yet.

I'm curious what other Tuzzers' experiences have been. Do you guys know a lot of people who have got the cov badly or died?
    A relative in his 60s died, my high school maths teacher died and one of my Uni lecturers also died.

Other people who died: at least three of my friends' fathers (yes, all males), my friend's grandmother.

My aunt who's only 40 almost died. She was on a ventilator for a week but managed to recover.

That's what I remember off the top of my head but I'm sure I've seen way more people mourn their dead on Facebook.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
    Aug 22, 2007
    A relative in his 60s died, my high school maths teacher died and one of my Uni lecturers also died.

Other people who died: at least three of my friends' fathers (yes, all males), my friend's grandmother.

My aunt who's only 40 almost died. She was on a ventilator for a week but managed to recover.

That's what I remember off the top of my head but I'm sure I've been way more people mourn their dead on Facebook.
    Shit, that sucks... that's a lot of loss. Sorry mayn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 147)