Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (47 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
it doesn’t matter at this point, if you die from covid you probably didn’t do the right thing. You either recognize the danger and adjust your life a tad or you don’t.
Is that really true though? Adjusting your behaviour a Iittle (or just not being a complete idiot) will obviously make a big difference, but I can think of any number of situations where someone would get infected through no fault of their own.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't think you quite get it. Curfews are stupid and don't work. Even if you implement full lockdowns, folks aren't going to obey them -- including the supposed "scientist" Democrats where the covid deaths are disproportionally impacting black and Latino communities. Why? Cuz they don't give a shit just like everyone else. I don't know if you have a job in business, but if you did, you wouldn't be a fan of total lockdowns either.

Christmas and New Years were always going to result in a huge amount of cases. Lots of people seeing family and friends, especially in their own homes.
They definitely work in reducing cases, deaths and hospitalisations, you only have to look at the graphs to see the drop in cases here with the original March national lockdown and then the smaller one in autumn, but economic pressures forced us out of them and the numbers were manageable. This combination of the new variant and spiralling Christmas cases mean the economy is now becoming priority #2.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Is that really true though? Adjusting your behaviour a Iittle (or just not being a complete idiot) will obviously make a big difference, but I can think of any number of situations where someone would get infected through no fault of their own.
That’s because we have so many complete fuckwits in this world. Anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, and other such morons who refuse to follow simple rules because “muh freedumb and liberty!”

Shocking that little things as simple as wearing a mask and limiting big social gatherings during a pandemic is such a giant ask for so many morons. Multiple studies have shown that these two measures alone, even without a lockdown, work wonders if universally followed. Which would mean businesses stay open, schools stay open, no lockdowns after the initial one to get it under control. But instead the bitches whining most about the lockdowns are the same ones who won’t follow any of the measures aimed at making lockdowns unnecessary. :sergio:

- - - Updated - - -

I (and many others in various trades) manage to go through entire hot summer days, doing physical, sweaty work, cutting log and timber frame homes, covered in sawdust, while wearing an N95 dust mask and some people can’t fucking wear a cloth mask while they stroll around a grocery store. Pathetic scum.

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I don't think you quite get it. Curfews are stupid and don't work. Even if you implement full lockdowns, folks aren't going to obey them -- including the supposed "scientist" Democrats where the covid deaths are disproportionally impacting black and Latino communities. Why? Cuz they don't give a shit just like everyone else. I don't know if you have a job in business, but if you did, you wouldn't be a fan of total lockdowns either.

Christmas and New Years were always going to result in a huge amount of cases. Lots of people seeing family and friends, especially in their own homes.
First of all, I'm not a fan of hard measures, let alone a curfew. But you're just exaggerating here.

I'm not here saying it's good or bad but saying curfew don't work is just silly. We had a curfew for a long time here and we couldn't get out from 17h until 05h. We also had whole weekends when we couldn't go outside (Friday from 17h until Monday at 05h). Yes, it sucks. It fucking sucks. But you can't say such things won't give effect or what they're aiming for. Only a small minority wouldn't obey those rules because punishment wasn't soft. Nobody was crazy enough to get out during a curfew and pay 2 monthly wages as a punishment. City was literally empty, public transportation limited, etc. It's literally impossible not to have less numbers of infected during such period. Impossible. If they are trying not to overload hospitals that's the way to go.

But is it the right way? That's a totally different thing. I don't think many countries, private businesses and even huge companies like that idea because it's not sustainable and economies are already destroyed as is. I was sadly one of those effected heavily by covid and I lost my job because we couldn't do business with Slovenia. So I agree it's stupid, but I can't say it doesn't work.

What I think the worst is having strict measures for months, then absolutely nothing, then strict measures, then nothing. That solves nothing. In fact, I'm already past the point of caring about it and I wouldn't have any measure whatsoever but I'm aware of the danger.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
That’s because we have so many complete fuckwits in this world. Anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, and other such morons who refuse to follow simple rules because “muh freedumb and liberty!”

Shocking that little things as simple as wearing a mask and limiting big social gatherings during a pandemic is such a giant ask for so many morons. Multiple studies have shown that these two measures alone, even without a lockdown, work wonders if universally followed. Which would mean businesses stay open, schools stay open, no lockdowns after the initial one to get it under control. But instead the bitches whining most about the lockdowns are the same ones who won’t follow any of the measures aimed at making lockdowns unnecessary. :sergio:

- - - Updated - - -

I (and many others in various trades) manage to go through entire hot summer days, doing physical, sweaty work, cutting log and timber frame homes, covered in sawdust, while wearing an N95 dust mask and some people can’t fucking wear a cloth mask while they stroll around a grocery store. Pathetic scum.
Over the past two months we had those measures actually. Plus, add that many businesses worked only until 17h (restaurants, coffee shops etc). And people did obey those in I'd say 90% of the cases. What happened was reaching numbers like 8000 cases per day which is the highest number here. It literally gave zero results. Such measures won't do shit when you have open schools that are filled with people, public transportation, malls filled with people filled with people, streets filled by people, despite of all those wearing masks. Some cities may benefit from it but big cities won't get any result out of it. If they are trying not to overload hospitals then that works like shit imo.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Over the past two months we had those measures actually. Plus, add that many businesses worked only until 17h (restaurants, coffee shops etc). And people did obey those in I'd say 90% of the cases. What happened was reaching numbers like 8000 cases per day which is the highest number here. It literally gave zero results. Such measures won't do shit when you have open schools that are filled with people, public transportation, malls filled with people filled with people, streets filled by people, despite of all those wearing masks. Some cities may benefit from it but big cities won't get any result out of it. If they are trying not to overload hospitals then that works like shit imo.
They work very well if people actually follow them. And of course they don’t work once the pandemic is spreading rapidly and raging out of control. But in places that got it under control, they do work alongside testing and contact tracing. Every single country that has managed to deal with this effectively has done it with: first, a lockdown, heavy testing and contact tracing, and then mask wearing and social distancing. These are literally the only things that have been shown to work thus far.

And who says you’re supposed to have everything running at full bore? That’s just unrealistic during a pandemic like this. But things can absolutely be running and open, as they have been in many places, without it going crazy, if people don’t fuck around causing it to explode.

10% not following rules in a country like the US, btw, is 32 million people (and in reality it’s far more there). Even here in Canada, that’s like 3.7 million people. And those people put all those following the rules who come in contact with them at greater risk, and by extension the families, etc they return home to.

My province of 5 million managed to flatten its curve significantly going into the holidays without a new lockdown. Almost all businesses still open. Schools still open. Hard restrictions on social gatherings, Social distancing requirements, mandatory masks indoors, contact tracing. We’re seeing a minor spike post-holiday season due to some people ignoring guidelines, but all told, those measures have worked very well to slow it down. The week of Nov 20-27 we had a peak of 5400 new cases, and had dropped that to 3700 new cases by the December 18-25 week without a lockdown.

Last edited:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They work very well if people actually follow them. And of course they don’t work once the pandemic is spreading rapidly and raging out of control. But in places that got it under control, they do work alongside testing and contact tracing. Every single country that has managed to deal with this effectively has done it with: first, a lockdown, heavy testing and contact tracing, and then mask wearing and social distancing. These are literally the only things that have been shown to work thus far.

And who says you’re supposed to have everything running at full bore? That’s just unrealistic during a pandemic like this. But things can absolutely be running and open, as they have been in many places, without it going crazy, if people don’t fuck around causing it to explode.

10% not following rules in a country like the US, btw, is 32 million people (and in reality it’s far more there). Even here in Canada, that’s like 3.7 million people. And those people put all those following the rules who come in contact with them at greater risk, and by extension the families, etc they return home to.

My province of 5 million managed to flatten its curve significantly going into the holidays without a new lockdown. Almost all businesses still open. Schools still open. Hard restrictions on social gatherings, Social distancing requirements, mandatory masks indoors, contact tracing. We’re seeing a minor spike post-holiday season due to some people ignoring guidelines, but all told, those measures have worked very well to slow it down. The week of Nov 20-27 we had a peak of 5400 new cases, and had dropped that to 3700 new cases by the December 18-25 week without a lockdown.

Don't you live in British Columbia?

That's 5 million people on 944.735 km².

In Belgium we have 10 million people on 30.528 km² .

Most of Belgium (Flanders especially) is what I'd consider one big urban area.

Even if you wear a mask, even if you wash your hands often, you can still get sick. Take the precautions, sure. But let's not castigate those who get sick.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Aren't the US, UK & Israel the countries where the highest number of vaccinations (relative to population size) have already been given?

Meanwhile in Belgium, a few hundred (600 iirc) people have been vaccinated. And the aim is to increase this number to 6.600 by Sunday. We're talking things slowly. Easy does it. No need to rush :wallbang: :sergio:

I don't know why, but ever since February we are hell bent on dealing with this situation in the worst possible way. It's baffling.
Incredible that you managed it worse than poor Latin American and African countries.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Even if you wear a mask, even if you wash your hands often, you can still get sick. Take the precautions, sure. But let's not castigate those who get sick.
Dude, 2.6 million of those people live in the GVRD. Which is 2882 sq km. Not exactly low population density. Most of the land in BC has no people. The population is mostly concentrated in a couple small areas. We also have no travel restrictions within the province, the province has asked us to avoid non-essential travel, but hasn’t banned it once during the pandemic, so anyone can go anywhere in the province if they desire.

I also agree with you entirely that you can still get sick while taking all possible precautions, and that’s just fine. No one should be criticized for getting this while behaving responsibly. My point was that people who are disobeying simple preventative guidelines and then crying about lockdowns are morons. If the populace follows simple preventative rules, they are far less likely to end up in a strict lockdown. Being anti-mask, anti-social distancing, etc is just dumb at this point.

Last edited:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Dude, 2.6 million of those people live in the GVRD. Which is 2882 sq km. Not exactly low population density. Most of the land in BC has no people. The population is mostly concentrated in a couple small areas. We also have no travel restrictions within the province, the province has asked us to avoid non-essential travel, but hasn’t banned it once during the pandemic, so anyone can go anywhere in the province if they desire.

I also agree with you entirely that you can still get sick while taking all possible precautions, and that’s just fine. No one should be criticized for getting this while behaving responsibly. My point was that people who are disobeying simple preventative guidelines and then crying about lockdowns are morons. If the populace follows simple preventative rules, they are far less likely to end up in a strict lockdown. Being anti-mask, anti-social distancing, etc is just dumb at this point.

I understand that, but at the same time my uncle lives in Vancouver and I've been there. Even within Vancouver itself, there are a lot of differences with European cities. It's not just the population density in the city as a whole (which is likely to be higher in Vancouver), but within certain neigbourhoods.

As for lockdowns etcetera. I think the only way to truly get the numbers down is to have a very strict, but hopefully shorter lockdown. Most of what Europe is doing clearly isn't working.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

- - - Updated - - -

This is more along the lines of what I meant. Especially in the US.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

Yeah, that's also a big factor.

But I'll have to mention our shitty countries as well. While 98% of do wear masks, don't visit places and everything, we do use public transportation which is really terrible over here. Buses are really horrible. You may follow restrictions but out nowhere you're in a middle of bus surrounded by 100 people. You just can't escape it and sitting at home 24/7 is a bigger damage than corona itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 32)