Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (29 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Small stores and restaurants are close quarters and not a lot of air flow. Much better to cram 500 parents in a Walmart while their kids fondle each other's apple sauce in the classrooms.
This is poetry :lol: :tup:

The speed that the vaccinations are being given is definitely too slow. New York has done something like twice the national average of doses administered, but I don't get why this isn't a 24/7 thing. Cuomo and De Sanctis are going to start punishing hospitals that don't use up their already available stock. Not sure what Florida is going to do specifically, but I know that Cuomo is going to potentially issue $100,000 fines to hospitals that don't start using up their available stock quicker.

Personally I know of 9 people that got it already (1 doctor, 2 nurses, 2 EMTs, 2 pharmacists, 1 lab worker, 1 FDNY), no adverse effects other than arm pain a bit worse than a flu shot.
I remember the first boastful press release in December about vaccinations. I did the math and immediately thought, "This will take 20 years at that rate."

Things need time to organize to reach peak volume. Just getting more vaccines out than the daily infection rate would be progress.

And Florida will trade in all their vaccines for PS5s.

It took France a week to vaccinate 600 people.
That's because you first need time to smoke a few Gitanes, read a few chapters of Proust, and debate about the experience from the vaccine's perspective. And call the rest of the world wankers for thinking that their ways are better.

I don't think you quite get it. Curfews are stupid and don't work. Even if you implement full lockdowns, folks aren't going to obey them -- including the supposed "scientist" Democrats where the covid deaths are disproportionally impacting black and Latino communities. Why? Cuz they don't give a shit just like everyone else. I don't know if you have a job in business, but if you did, you wouldn't be a fan of total lockdowns either.

Christmas and New Years were always going to result in a huge amount of cases. Lots of people seeing family and friends, especially in their own homes.
Worked for New Zealand and Australia, Bogans and all. Certainly making them optional versus mandates is even worse in America, because nobody would sh*t in a toilet if they couldn't get fined for doing it on their front lawn.

It is a lot of big gatherings though. And governments seem to want to do something, but they're already two weeks behind the curve of what's already been done.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Btw, I do find it so very on point for the US that its only COVID strategy has been vaccine, vaccine, vaccine.

It reflects the US mental approach to its obesity epidemic: why eat less, eat healthier, or try to exercise when I can just wait for a pill?

In the annals of "give me convenience or give me death", death seems to be the favored option currently given America's declining lifespans.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Btw, I do find it so very on point for the US that its only COVID strategy has been vaccine, vaccine, vaccine.

It reflects the US mental approach to its obesity epidemic: why eat less, eat healthier, or try to exercise when I can just wait for a pill?

In the annals of "give me convenience or give me death", death seems to be the favored option currently given America's declining lifespans.
the vaccine is really the only way to go back to normal activities and behaviors but I do agree that US in general just pushes pills to everyone.

I’m always surprised how many kids in high school were taking pills and even some of my friends in their 20s that are on antidepressants, like wtf, you don’t just start taking pills because you feel bad or went through a breakup

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
the vaccine is really the only way to go back to normal activities and behaviors but I do agree that US in general just pushes pills to everyone.

I’m always surprised how many kids in high school were taking pills and even some of my friends in their 20s that are on antidepressants, like wtf, you don’t just start taking pills because you feel bad or went through a breakup
Homemade hazmat suits

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9,390
    what is the solution then? and just forget murica for a second, think of a general solution.
    Thinking of things in a vacuum isn't a general solution. If the only thing that mattered was making sure nobody else died from covid, then you would lock down everything and close up everything, with the military rationing food to everyone for months. That isn't a way to live in modern society. It would be akin to the fictitious town in the film Outbreak at a national scale.

A general, well-balanced solution would be maintaining reasonable social distancing, wearing masks, protecting the at-risk population, implementing as much distance business and learning as possible, while also working towards vaccinations. A lot of this is already being done, but the problem is a large segment of the population, from all different races, religions, and political leanings, are unhealthy and frankly stupid. So you can try to lockdown stuff as much as you can, and maybe start putting people in covid camps if they don't obey, but the end result is even worse than hospitals being overran and "authorities" burning bodies next to the Hollywood sign. Sometimes there isn't a perfect solution for matters.

- - - Updated - - -

They definitely work in reducing cases, deaths and hospitalisations, you only have to look at the graphs to see the drop in cases here with the original March national lockdown and then the smaller one in autumn, but economic pressures forced us out of them and the numbers were manageable. This combination of the new variant and spiralling Christmas cases mean the economy is now becoming priority #2.
    Curfews are different than lockdowns. Closing bars at 10pm means I go to one at 4pm. It's nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

First of all, I'm not a fan of hard measures, let alone a curfew. But you're just exaggerating here.

I'm not here saying it's good or bad but saying curfew don't work is just silly. We had a curfew for a long time here and we couldn't get out from 17h until 05h. We also had whole weekends when we couldn't go outside (Friday from 17h until Monday at 05h). Yes, it sucks. It fucking sucks. But you can't say such things won't give effect or what they're aiming for. Only a small minority wouldn't obey those rules because punishment wasn't soft. Nobody was crazy enough to get out during a curfew and pay 2 monthly wages as a punishment. City was literally empty, public transportation limited, etc. It's literally impossible not to have less numbers of infected during such period. Impossible. If they are trying not to overload hospitals that's the way to go.

But is it the right way? That's a totally different thing. I don't think many countries, private businesses and even huge companies like that idea because it's not sustainable and economies are already destroyed as is. I was sadly one of those effected heavily by covid and I lost my job because we couldn't do business with Slovenia. So I agree it's stupid, but I can't say it doesn't work.

What I think the worst is having strict measures for months, then absolutely nothing, then strict measures, then nothing. That solves nothing. In fact, I'm already past the point of caring about it and I wouldn't have any measure whatsoever but I'm aware of the danger.
    I don't think curfews work at all, unless they're just so nonsensical that it's essentially a lockdown. Just look at LA county right now. Bodies everywhere despite having curfews then lockdowns for weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I thought more would have liked that one.

Worked for New Zealand and Australia, Bogans and all. Certainly making them optional versus mandates is even worse in America, because nobody would sh*t in a toilet if they couldn't get fined for doing it on their front lawn.

It is a lot of big gatherings though. And governments seem to want to do something, but they're already two weeks behind the curve of what's already been done.
    And that's why it's hard to manage. Just look at the Jewish folks in Brooklyn, they don't care 'bout no damn virus.

Last edited:

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
    Jan 17, 2011
    Agree 100% about curfews. And it didn't work at all here. It made people party until 5 am when the curfew was up.

They make no fuckin sense at all. They're just screwing over business owners and workers.

Last edited:

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
    Apr 12, 2009
    As much as i'd like to blame any government for making silly rules, it's human nature which is probably the biggest factor in this uncontrollable surge.

Also the latest mutation seems to have f*cked us up all over again. Just look at British Wuhan Virus being spread throughout the UK. 1 in 30 Londoners have the virus, some districts in London record cases as high as 1 in 20. London was in Tier 3 before the mutation, which means community spread through pubs and party's weren't likely to be the contributing factor.

Last edited:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    London was in tier 2 for the first part of December - they could go to places that served food (hence the great Scotch egg debate lol) and drink as much as they wanted, with tables of 6. They didn't move to 3 until the 14th. I've no doubt the low restrictions in London helped cause this mutation.

Like I said at the time, it was stupidity and looked like Westminster helping their own to have a good Christmas. Suddenly they realised cases were spiralling and had to lock everything down.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Agree 100% about curfews. And it didn't work at all here. It made people party until 5 am when the curfew was up.

They make no fuckin sense at all. They're just screwing over business owners and workers.
    We have been in curfews since November. Including the bizarre-o weekend ones from 1pm to 5am. And people jam small cafes at 11am to compensate.

That said, what I think isn't good enough, We do all need data for these things.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)