Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (168 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Cultures have historically dissed on other cultures over their food throughout history. You are no exception.

I am reminded of the seaside tribe in Mexico who eats shrimp and shellfish, and the tribe up into the mountains think of them as filthy and disgusting eating such bottom-feeding quasi-insects-of-the-sea. Meanwhile the tribe in the mountains eats insects, which makes the seaside tribe vomit.

Everybody thinks their sh*t don't stink. Only someone else's .
I'm a biochemist, non a sensitive wall flower. I dont care about the feelings of people when it comes to food, i care about the facts.

Rabbits eat their own shit. Pigs dont. But pigs are infested with tapeworms. Rabbit meat is harmfull. Pigmeat when non processed properly (it happens) can contain traces and spores.

Hence i eat rabbit if it would taste good. But i try to limit eating pig as much as i can

Carnivores, rodents, vermin and known disease carriers should not be eaten
Factually safe lifestock, poultry and vis should. The data backs it up

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
This is crazy. We had 5000 positive cases today. And it was 28% positive people of the tested.

This number is higher than plenty of big number boys when you take population as a factor.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm a biochemist, non a sensitive wall flower. I dont care about the feelings of people when it comes to food, i care about the facts.

Rabbits eat their own shit. Pigs dont. But pigs are infested with tapeworms. Rabbit meat is harmfull. Pigmeat when non processed properly (it happens) can contain traces and spores.

Hence i eat rabbit if it would taste good. But i try to limit eating pig as much as i can

You're touching on a lot of conflicting historical dietary laws ... which culturally existed for a reason. Kashrut, halal, etc. I've eaten kangaroo, and it's delicious. It's as big of a vermin rodent (especially to an Aussie) as they come.

And for every modern American who cringes in revulsion at the idea of a Chinese wet market, they are simultaneously blissfully ignorant of the brutal factory bloodbath and flooded pools of excrement and blood involved in making their burger.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Where in Hungary do you live? Here in Szeged we're allowed to walk around (with masks) outside the curfew period. Coffee shops and such are open for take-away.
small town in the mátra region. mask is obligatory in public places during the whole day, except in parks and woods. restaurants work the same way as in szeged, only takeaways and deliveries. let's hope the current measures work over time.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Our first measure is like letting restaurants and coffee shops to work until 21h :lol2: while majority used to work until 22 or midnight.

We used to close everything down on 300 cases but on 5000 nothing.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Oh my god, Zach, I am so so sorry.

I've been under the impression you were a sensitive little wall flower for years now. I'd imagine how you put on your silk white panties in the morning and your little pink dress with the little cotton socks underneath and those cute shoes you bought with your nerdy girlfriends in the mall last week. You know, Ellen and Therese, the ones who are always talking 'bout boys but are too scared to approach one in real life.

I didn't realise you were butch.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
South Korea with it's population of 50 million has been recording 300 cases per day. Japan with 126 million inhabitants has been recording around 2K positives per day.

These Asian countries seem to do a lot better than pretty much all European countries or the America's. The gap is too f'in big. Either there's something wrong culturally in the West (which probably isn't true considering the Japanese are packed in the tube as well) or these countries are having much better regulations and better contact tracing.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
South Korea with it's population of 50 million has been recording 300 cases per day. Japan with 126 million inhabitants has been recording around 2K positives per day.

These Asian countries seem to do a lot better than pretty much all European countries or the America's. The gap is too f'in big. Either there's something wrong culturally in the West (which probably isn't true considering the Japanese are packed in the tube as well) or these countries are having much better regulations and better contact tracing.
Yeah, those damn disobedient, freedom loving, individualistic Westerners

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
- They wear face masks (culturally normal before this)
- Naturally adhere to social distancing
- Listen to government advice and follow it
- Quick response to isolate clusters of cases
- High levels of health care and cutting-edge technology

It's also likely that they got exposed to an early version of the virus and built up some kind of immunity or antibodies against it. By the time it reached Europe it had travelled through millions of people and mutated, and millions more by the time it reached the Americas.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
- They wear face masks (culturally normal before this)
- Naturally adhere to social distancing
- Listen to government advice and follow it
- Quick response to isolate clusters of cases
- High levels of health care and cutting-edge technology

It's also likely that they got exposed to an early version of the virus and built up some kind of immunity or antibodies against it. By the time it reached Europe it had travelled through millions of people and mutated, and millions more by the time it reached the Americas.
:lol: I just can't

Asian immunity has nothing to do NPIs.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
You’ve probably seen my doubts before about any vaccine being reported to be 94.5% effective, ever. Now I know most reporters, even science beat reporters, don’t know crap. So I read the study myself.

It’s 94.5% effective at preventing symptoms. That is a whole other thing, and it shocks me nobody seems to be mentioning this.

While not exhibiting symptoms is a great thing, that’s not the same as preventing you from catching it ... and preventing you from passing it on to someone else. It’s merely that your likelihood of being asymptomatic by taking the vaccine becomes 94.5%.

Is that what everyone expected when they were reporting these numbers from the Pfeizer study?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
:lol: I just can't

Asian immunity has nothing to do NPIs.
I don't mean in terms of numbers or density. But in terms of interaction, in Japan especially people do not go for hugs, kisses on the cheek or handshakes as the greetings are more formal than we would expect, particularly in comparison to some European countries.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
You’ve probably seen my doubts before about any vaccine being reported to be 94.5% effective, ever. Now I know most reporters, even science beat reporters, don’t know crap. So I read the study myself.

It’s 94.5% effective at preventing symptoms. That is a whole other thing, and it shocks me nobody seems to be mentioning this.

While not exhibiting symptoms is a great thing, that’s not the same as preventing you from catching it ... and preventing you from passing it on to someone else. It’s merely that your likelihood of being asymptomatic by taking the vaccine becomes 94.5%.

Is that what everyone expected when they were reporting these numbers from the Pfeizer study?
I understood it like that when I first read it and I still doubt it's 94%.

Just like for any other vaccine and virus. It's not like you're immune to it, you're just gonna have less and weaker symptoms. But even if it's 50% chances are high it would mean a great deal for medical system as a prevention from crashing it.

Still the whole thing sounds way too fishy imo.

- director of Pfitzer sold his part of the company, setting the trade in august so it doesn't look like inside trading
- was it during the summer that they made a deal with the US to sell them 100 million of vaccines?
- the other German company that works with Pfizer made a deal with Bill Gates just 1-2 months before corona kicked in in China. Same company had the deal with the Chinese
- they skipped animal tests, jumped into humans, and tested it for 3 months instead of several years like they usually do
- same technology of developing vaccines based on dna engineering (gene editing) was never before accepted. They used to run trials on animals and after less than a year rats were getting tumours, liver destroyed and some other organs
- Fauci and his NAIDI buddies made a vaccine and were aware of paradoxical immune response problems, yet they went ahead in Philippines and killed 600 children

So yeah. It's just way too much no-no in my head.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It definitely is a big win if you can stop the symptoms and keep people out of the hospitals. What I’d like to see is if it has any bearing on asymptomatic transmission too though.

The normal flu has about 50% asymptomatic spread. Having the SARS-Cov-2 virus (which is of course different from having COVID-19, which is where the 94% comes in) undoubtedly has asymptomatic spread, as been confirmed countless times for months of studies now.

It would certainly help the Pfeizers of the world if they could formulate a vaccine to stop the symptoms but not the spread. But I don’t think normally in conspiracies like that. :D

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford is highly effective at stopping people developing Covid-19 symptoms, a large trial shows.

Overall results showed 70% protection, but the researchers say the figure may be as high as 90% by tweaking the dose.

The results will be seen as a triumph, but also come off the back of Pfizer and Moderna showing 95% protection.

However, the Oxford jab is far cheaper, and is easier to store and get to every corner of the world than the other two.

So the vaccine will play a significant role in tackling the pandemic, if it is approved for use by regulators.

"The announcement today takes us another step closer to the time when we can use vaccines to bring an end to the devastation caused by [the virus]," said the vaccine's architect Prof Sarah Gilbert.

The UK government has pre-ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine and AstraZeneca says it will make three billion doses for the world next year.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said it was "incredibly exciting news" and that while there were still safety checks to come, "these are fantastic results".

The vaccine has been developed in around 10 months, a process that normally takes a decade.

More: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

=================================================

Seems promising. 62% baseline but it appears that this works significantly better if given a low dose first and then a higher dose, closer to 90% efficiency. Also the low-high method brought about more asymptomatic patients than the high-high method.

The two big things here are the cost - £3 per dose compared to £15 and £25 respectively for the other two, and it can be stored in normal refrigeration conditions. So this is going to have scope to be used all across the world.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Look, if these vaccines don't do crap to stop you from being a carrier of SARS-Cov-2 and spreading it to everyone you come in contact with, you bet your sweet pehookies that it will have to be used all across the world.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Look, if these vaccines don't do crap to stop you from being a carrier of SARS-Cov-2 and spreading it to everyone you come in contact with, you bet your sweet pehookies that it will have to be used all across the world.
So, what's your take on this and what'll be needed in order to get back to normal?

I'd happily take the vaccine if it means you can't really get sick. I also think if we all take the vaccin no-one really gets sick so being a carrier wouldn't such a big deal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 159)