Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (43 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Seems like pretty much every day we'll break a new record number of infections in Europe. France with 40K cases, Spain and the UK with 20K, Italy 16K. Most countries will announce new restrictions in the coming days.

Yet in Sweden: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...lockdown-rules-elderly-vulnerable-due-mental/

:lol:
Funnily enough, 8 months into the pandemic, regional health authorities in Sweden have been given permission to institute local lockdowns...

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...has-failed-but-nobody-will-admit-it-1.5767967

They also finally jacked their testing rates up to a reasonable level over the last couple months.

I think their policies now, alongside more testing have improved. They’ve found a more middle ground between their initial catastrophic laissez-faire response and the over the top lock everything down responses. Sadly, if they had instituted these better policies from the beginning on testing, tracing, and guidances on distancing, mask-wearing by health professionals, etc... they’d probably be down closer to their Neighbour’s death rates of ~100/million instead of up at ~600/million

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
What's the end game really?
A working vaccine, or at least advances in treatments that can get the death rate down to a reasonable level.

The hardest hit areas already have 0.2% of their entire population dead (NYC is at this level) with no signs that herd immunity has been reached or the pandemic over, as recent spikes in cases show as everything was reopened and now fall arrives.

Anyways, if testing and contact tracing are being performed adequately, and people are social distancing, handwashing regularly, and wearing proper masks, this should be manageable while keeping businesses open and running.

And that’s the issue with the “anti-mask” crowd. Even if you personally “feel” masks don’t work, the studies suggesting they do work and having businesses open and running should be incentive enough to just wear the fucking mask when and where required anyways.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
You are praising a country that has >10 times the death rate its neighbouring countries have and publicly came out and said it has failed to protect the elderly?
That's not what I'm praising them for ;)

- - - Updated - - -

A working vaccine, or at least advances in treatments that can get the death rate down to a reasonable level.

The hardest hit areas already have 0.2% of their entire population dead (NYC is at this level) with no signs that herd immunity has been reached or the pandemic over, as recent spikes in cases show as everything was reopened and now fall arrives.

Anyways, if testing and contact tracing are being performed adequately, and people are social distancing, handwashing regularly, and wearing proper masks, this should be manageable while keeping businesses open and running.

And that’s the issue with the “anti-mask” crowd. Even if you personally “feel” masks don’t work, the studies suggesting they do work and having businesses open and running should be incentive enough to just wear the fucking mask when and where required anyways.
Hm, people in such countries must be terrified by now. I guess they're all locked inside, staying safe from the virus?

So we're awaiting a vaccine of which we don't when or if it will arrive?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
That's not what I'm praising them for ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Hm, people in such countries must be terrified by now. I guess they're all locked inside, staying safe from the virus?

So we're awaiting a vaccine of which we don't when or if it will arrive?
I do agree with you that lockdowns aren’t the way forward from here, unless in absolute dire situation... but getting into that sort of dire situation requires a colossal failure on the part of both government and individuals to take personal responsibility for their actions in helping stop this pandemic. So the people bitching about lockdowns and keeping the economy going should be the very first to support all government guidelines and regulations aimed at keeping things open and running. Sadly, the exact opposite seems true.

Regardless, I don’t think we should be terrified of Covid. But accepting that this is a pandemic, and a serious one at that, and understanding that we should individually behave responsibly and in a way that allows the economy to keep moving is a bare minimum imo.

If we go by the claims of Trump a working vaccine would have arrived a few months ago, is guaranteed to arrive before the election, and if not then, promised before the end of the year. Personally I have higher hopes for Advances in therapeutics reducing the fatality rate lower and lower. :boh:

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
If we go by the claims of Trump a working vaccine would have arrived a few months ago, is guaranteed to arrive before the election, and if not then, promised before the end of the year. Personally I have higher hopes for Advances in therapeutics reducing the fatality rate lower and lower. :boh:
”Trump working on a vaccine” :rofl::rofl:

Ya, he has a home lab and he’s working on it daily.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
”Trump working on a vaccine” :rofl::rofl:

Ya, he has a home lab and he’s working on it daily.
Do you seriously not know how to read? Jesus Christ.

...“a working vaccine” means one that actually works, is effective, and gives the majority of people who take it immunity against this virus.

It has absolutely nothing to do with your rearranged words and Trump working on a vaccine, himself.

Onto ignore list with you. Enough engagement with retarded trolling.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Funnily enough, 8 months into the pandemic, regional health authorities in Sweden have been given permission to institute local lockdowns...

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...has-failed-but-nobody-will-admit-it-1.5767967

They also finally jacked their testing rates up to a reasonable level over the last couple months.

I think their policies now, alongside more testing have improved. They’ve found a more middle ground between their initial catastrophic laissez-faire response and the over the top lock everything down responses. Sadly, if they had instituted these better policies from the beginning on testing, tracing, and guidances on distancing, mask-wearing by health professionals, etc... they’d probably be down closer to their Neighbour’s death rates of ~100/million instead of up at ~600/million
It was never a laissez-faire to be honest but compared to the rest of the world it looks like it. I am still of belief that in the long run what our officials are doing will turn out to be better for the country.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the end game really?
Exactly! And that has been the argument from the officials here from day one.

In addition to that it was an agreement with Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden to treat the pandemic as we doing and they all started the same way. Then panic took over in the neighbouring countries.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It was never a laissez-faire to be honest but compared to the rest of the world it looks like it. I am still of belief that in the long run what our officials are doing will turn out to be better for the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! And that has been the argument from the officials here from day one.

In addition to that it was an agreement with Denmark, Norway, Finland and Sweden to treat the pandemic as we doing and they all started the same way. Then panic took over in the neighbouring countries.
Yeah. I think the issue people have is when people try to suggest somehow Sweden has done better than countries with vastly lower death rates/capita.

I think the lockdowns worked initially for lowering death tolls for your neighbours, considering their deaths/million are anywhere from 5-10x lower. From what I read Sweden played way to loose with protecting the at-risk and that’s why your death toll sky-rocketed.

It also seems that after the very initial part where you stayed open and your neighbours locked down, the response has become very similar, and the economic downturn and recovery has also been almost identical.

I’m curious though. If treatment/vaccine shows up this winter and Denmark, Finland, Norway etc all finish this pandemic with ~100 deaths/million, while Sweden finishes with ~600 deaths/million, will that point to a failed response?

Last edited:

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Do you seriously not know how to read? Jesus Christ.

...“a working vaccine” means one that actually works, is effective, and gives the majority of people who take it immunity against this virus.

It has absolutely nothing to do with your rearranged words and Trump working on a vaccine, himself.

Onto ignore list with you. Enough engagement with retarded trolling.
The usage of commas, dots etc. is almost terrible as your beliefs.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Yeah. I think the issue people have is when people try to suggest somehow Sweden has done better than countries with vastly lower death rates/capita.

I think the lockdowns worked initially for lowering death tolls for your neighbours, considering they’re deaths/million are anywhere from 5-10x lower. From what I read Sweden played way to loose with protecting the at-risk and that’s why your death toll sky-rocketed.

It also seems that after the very initial part where you stayed open and your neighbours locked down, the response has become very similar, and the economic downturn and recovery has also been almost identical.

I’m curious though. If treatment/vaccine shows up this winter and Denmark, Finland, Norway etc all finish this pandemic with ~100 deaths/million, while Sweden finishes with ~600 deaths/million, will that point to a failed response?
My statements were never about comparing with other countries, just what I believe was good for us or not.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019

I think the lockdowns worked initially for lowering death tolls for your neighbours, considering they’re deaths/million are anywhere from 5-10x lower. From what I read Sweden played way to loose with protecting the at-risk and that’s why your death toll sky-rocketed.

Sweden is ahead of everyone in this thing.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
My statements were never about comparing with other countries, just what I believe was good for us or not.
Fair enough. :tup:

We’ve mostly had a similar response here in my part of Canada and it’s worked out well, mostly because majority of the population buys into the the government guidelines and what is being asked of us. I’m of the opinion that Sweden’s response combined with stronger testing and contact tracing, is the best option in countries where there is strong sense of individual responsibility to society as a whole.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)