Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (102 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
It was actually 11k deaths from 25k infected or something like that. Number of cured is a lot higher from corona. Much higher.
Of course the number of cured patients will be higher when it's far more easily spread and less deadly. One is localized vs global.

By the way are you speaking about SARS here or ebola? Because both were discussed in American news, despite neither of them being here. Until it ended of course, which obviously makes sense.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Why would a global event not be global news? You issue just seems to be you're tired of hearing the word "coronavirus," which is fine. However that doesn't mean this should not be talked about. Otherwise I really don't understand what your end goal here is.
Meh, I wrote my opinion many times here.

Smells like bullshit to me. Just like H1N1 was. It's the overall panic (even at this point doesn't look that big (see France)) that drives me nuts.

When you look at majority of the countries the numbers aren't that scary when you compare it to the seasonal flu. Some countries have like 2 cases yet it's all apocalypse.

i still dont remember getting an answer from you about why the chinese government quarantined hundreds of millions of its own people and potentially tanked its own economy which was a house of cards on a knifes edge even before the coronavirus situation. why are other govts not downplaying the issue but imposing their own restrictions to fight the spread despite massive economic slowdowns certain to follow?

i want to know, in your opinion, why the chinese and other major governments took those steps despite it almost certainly leading to a global recession down the line? please do tell us what possible motivations there are for them to overhype this?
If it hits recession on a global level I don't know, I could hardly answer that. If it fucks up China, it will look quite different. I guess time will tell because despite everything it's too earily to look at the bigger picture, it's early March (although market looks fucked up).

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Meh, I wrote my opinion many times here.

Smells like bullshit to me. Just like H1N1 was. It's the overall panic (even at this point doesn't look that big (see France)) that drives me nuts.

When you look at majority of the countries the numbers aren't that scary when you compare it to the seasonal flu. Some countries have like 2 cases yet it's all apocalypse.

If it hits recession on a global level I don't know, I could hardly answer that. If it fucks up China, it will look quite different. I guess time will tell because despite everything it's too earily to look at the bigger picture, it's early March (although market looks fucked up).
So you cant think of any possible motive for governments to lie / overhype here but that hasnt stopped you from claiming that they are lying/ overhyping here?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Of course the number of cured patients will be higher when it's far more easily spread and less deadly. One is localized vs global.

By the way are you speaking about SARS here or ebola? Because both were discussed in American news, despite neither of them being here. Until it ended of course, which obviously makes sense.
Both. SARS in Asia in early 2002 had 10% death rate. Corona has like 5x more coverage at the moment, even at 3%. Ebola was like 6 years ago and while media did cover it I'd say it was to a lesser extent as well.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
So you cant think of any possible motive for governments to lie / overhype here but that hasnt stopped you from claiming that they are lying/ overhyping here?
I already said why I think they are overhyping this like 10 times already. I don't need motives in order to support my words as I'm not chasing illuminati here but common sense.

And I wouldn't really say governments, I never did iirc, since journalists do their job despite of the government. I worked as one and I can't say I needed a green light from the government in order to write news. Popular news were always a thing and a cash grabber, that's for sure, at least from journalists perspective.

Apr 17, 2013
Both. SARS in Asia in early 2002 had 10% death rate. Corona has like 5x more coverage at the moment, even at 3%. Ebola was like 6 years ago and while media did cover it I'd say it was to a lesser extent as well.
Ebola was in Africa, Western medias don't care.

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Well, the hype became huge after 3% death rate. Everybody ignores SARS in Asia that had 10% like 15 years ago which was hitting way harder and you could recognize it easier.

Like I said, corona deals with higher temperature, caugh, sneezing, problems with breathing, which is pretty much like a regular flu.

Completely new diseases happen quite often. This is not the first time. We've seen the invasion of H1N1 which disappeared as fast as it appeared while countries spent billions to prevent it. Vaccines were sometimes used but mostly to protect the most wounded population, then the virus became seasonal like every other. We've seen swine flu, birds flu, SARS and others just in the past 10 years. Ebola happened like 6 years ago and out of 25k people infected it killed like 11k people. Yet, despite all that, corona is getting the biggest hype ever, even in the countries like France where it killed 4 people.
SARS had a total 8098 cases in 17 countries. MERS had only 2000 cases. Ebola had 25000 cases, but only 8 cases outside of Africa, which means that it was at least contained regionally. COVID-19 has 95000+ cases in 80 countries so far. Do you even understand your own words?

Ebola happened like 6 years ago and out of 25k people infected it killed like 11k people
I noticed that you applied the concept of fraction and percentage in this post, but claimed earlier that flu is deadlier than COVID-19. At this point it appears you're just misrepresenting the facts on purpose.

Last edited:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I already said why I think they are overhyping this like 10 times already. I don't need motives in order to support my words as I'm not chasing illuminati here but common sense.

And I wouldn't really say governments, I never did iirc, since journalists do their job despite of the government. I worked as one and I can't say I needed a green light from the government in order to write news. Popular news were always a thing and a cash grabber, that's for sure, at least from journalists perspective.
i didnt ask about the media. i asked why governments are taking steps with potentially catastrophic consequences if this is a minor situation as you say.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
What is the death rate of flu?

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
So a new virus which is 30 times deadlier than flu, has no vaccine, with 95000 cases globally becomes global news. I wonder what the "hype" is.
The scarier part is the unknown unknown.

What is there about Corona that we have no clue about (long-term effects for example)? For example, SARS survivors suffer from some nasty scary shit.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41413-020-0084-5

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
The scarier part is the unknown unknown.

What is there about Corona that we have no clue about (long-term effects for example)? For example, SARS survivors suffer from some nasty scary shit.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41413-020-0084-5
obs but some people already know everything

- - - Updated - - -

I really hate it when journalists report news. Could they just do their damn job instead.
like inform the public about Dogman

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I really hate it when the journalists report news. Could they just do their damn job instead.
On a serious note, the case of Iran is exactly what happens when news is NOT reported. Government kept this under wraps for weeks in fear that it would reduce the turnout in parliamentary election, and also give a bad name to the city of Qom, the center of the outbreak, which is like Vatican of Shiite Muslims. People traveled to and from Qom without any problem, and now 3 other provinces can be described as outbreak centers. In one province north of Iran things have become so bad that nurses started quitting en mass.

Apr 17, 2013
What? Ebola was omnipresent.
In France we talked about it, but it has nothing to do with current media coverage on the Coronavirus. It was a disease in Africa that doesn't concern us.

It's like the fire in the Amazon, we've talked nonstop about it, when at the same time there have been more important fires in the tropical forest in congo, and yet it has been much less covered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 96)