Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (89 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,722

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I can't speak for other regions in the world, but in Belgium we have a culture of simply driving up somewhere to have a meeting. Part of that is because the distances are limited. Though we are still speaking about drives that take an hour or an hour and a half. I wonder if, after corona, these are things that will be entirely replaced by video calls.
    They should be. There's no reason why folks can't meet via video conference in general. The exceptions would be if it's something like a contract signing, group setting training, or something else that is highly collaborative. Folks being inept with technology shouldn't be an excuse. Stuff like Zoom or MS Teams is easy as hell and takes 5 minutes to learn.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011

- - - Updated - - -

They should be. There's no reason why folks can't meet via video conference in general. The exceptions would be if it's something like a contract signing, group setting training, or something else that is highly collaborative. Folks being inept with technology shouldn't be an excuse. Stuff like Zoom or MS Teams is easy as hell and takes 5 minutes to learn.
    :lol: Oh man, I wish you could see the dinosaurs at my old job. Absolutely useless, can't even switch the default printer yet they get paid 2-3 times what I did.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,724
    :lol: Oh man, I wish you could see the dinosaurs at my old job. Absolutely useless, can't even switch the default printer yet they get paid 2-3 times what I did.
    Those people are going to struggle. There's no point in having a 60-90 minute commute anymore. Saves firms capital on fixed assets, reduces employee stress, and may even increase productivity in some cases.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012

- - - Updated - - -

The number of people in and out of hospitals are roughly the same. I hope that doesn’t mean people are discharged too soon.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    As good as these things sound, it's still a long way off. My girlfriend works in the lab for J&J and specializes in this sort of studies. You'd think it's sort of the last step they have to take, but it still takes ages under normal cirucmstances.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not against tempororary restrictions on my right to privacy, if it would help others stay alive or help our society economically. The problem is though that very often we agree to certain terms in a moment of crisis and then these terms are never changed back.
    Temporary? You can't be that naive, any ground ceded is forever

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    I still don’t see working from home becoming that big. It sucks first of all, and part of working includes forming relationships with your coworkers. Working from home is only efficient if you work in software

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4,735
    The number of people in and out of hospitals are roughly the same. I hope that doesn’t mean people are discharged too soon.
    Naturally as beds are scarce, they will probably send folks in OK shape home.

- - - Updated - - -

Temporary? You can't be that naive, any ground ceded is forever
    Yup, just like after 9/11.

- - - Updated - - -

I still don’t see working from home becoming that big. It sucks first of all, and part of working includes forming relationships with your coworkers. Working from home is only efficient if you work in software
    You can have 20 or more people on a video conference room for hours on end. It takes some skill to get used to engaging and not speaking over others, but there are ways to manage that. Meeting in person initially is always a good thing, but I can't think of many jobs out there that can't excel remotely with clear expectation and performance levels. Obviously if you're an engineer or have production or construction sites, it's different.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    In all likelihood, California will be the first state to have the curve flattened. Mainly because they were the first to enforce social distancing and stay at home orders.

:tup:

The only worrying thing about California is how little testing they have done. 92,000 tests with a population of ~39 million.

Canada with 37 million has done ~280,000 tests.

Both have around 11,000 positive cases.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    Naturally as beds are scarce, they will probably send folks in OK shape home.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, just like after 9/11.

- - - Updated - - -

You can have 20 or more people on a video conference room for hours on end. It takes some skill to get used to engaging and not speaking over others, but there are ways to manage that. Meeting in person initially is always a good thing, but I can't think of many jobs out there that can't excel remotely with clear expectation and performance levels. Obviously if you're an engineer or have production or construction sites, it's different.
    I suppose, all my jobs have been nearly impossible to do from home but I also meant from a general office morale standpoint. I look at it like homeschooling vs going to class.

- - - Updated - - -

I've worked from home for 7 years. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    what do you do?

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    :tup:

The only worrying thing about California is how little testing they have done. 92,000 tests with a population of ~39 million.

Canada with 37 million has done ~280,000 tests.

Both have around 11,000 positive cases.
    the us as a whole will never catch up on testing, all major labs are at max capacity and the reporting is not going too well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 74)