Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (74 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Absolutely horrifying. It's just not slowing down there.

- - - Updated - - -

Tri-State Quarantine in the works? Getting a bit late.

That is the scary part. I think it was @Alen wrote something about how Italy had peaked and should start dropping, but it just doesn’t seem to be happening yet. This virus seems to pass far too easily between people to effectively contain without truly draconian measures that are enforced by the state.

Their numbers are longer growing exponentially, but they are remaining the same. 5-6k new cases daily, and 600-900 deaths daily for the past week. I’m really hoping the new case numbers begin to drop soon there and give a measure of relief and a timeline.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Can we say that Italy reached its peak, or at least that they're going through the peak this week?
For the 7th straight day they are recording numbers lower than 6, 557 diagnosed on March 22. But also, for the 7th straight day they are recording 4, 5 or 6 thousand new cases.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
what would be the difference between this enforcable quarantine and shelter in place?
Vancouver has given by-law officers and police the right to give up to $1000 fines to anyone not practicing proper social distancing. We’re not quite at the shelter-in-place stage yet, and it seems they are trying to avoid it, but we’re close.

- - - Updated - - -

Can we say that Italy reached its peak, or at least that they're going through the peak this week?
For the 7th straight day they are recording numbers lower than 6, 557 diagnosed on March 22. But also, for the 7th straight day they are recording 4, 5 or 6 thousand new cases.
We can if we see the numbers begin to drop next week... but if people keep spreading it to another 5-6k each and every day... it’s just a continuous thing with the newly infected passing it to others before they get tested and truly isolate. The measures in Italy seem to have stopped the exponential growth, but not a continued spread of new cases.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
That is the scary part. I think it was @Alen wrote something about how Italy had peaked and should start dropping, but it just doesn’t seem to be happening yet. This virus seems to pass far too easily between people to effectively contain without truly draconian measures that are enforced by the state.

Their numbers are longer growing exponentially, but they are remaining the same. 5-6k new cases daily, and 600-900 deaths daily for the past week. I’m really hoping the new case numbers begin to drop soon there and give a measure of relief and a timeline.
We have very little to go by because I'm not sure we can trust China's numbers, while South Korea is really strange. After they reached the peak of 851 cases, they were going up and down, so they had a day with 35 cases a week after the peak and then 242 cases the next day.

Italy will be the one who'll probably give us the template which we can later follow for the other European countries, USA, Australia and so on.
Imo, it's good that the numbers aren't just going up day after day as it is happening to the USA. Now we have to see how long this will last and if the numbers finally stop falling. I think they will. These days they will reach the peak in deaths, but I think that they already reached the highest number in daily new cases.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Oh, wet markets are not helping. But do you even know the hygiene of the factory farming of chicken and beef in the U.S.?

I think people love to fingerpoint in these situations as a way of deflecting responsibility from themselves and their own habits.

It will. To be followed probably by India. And maybe some warm summer seasonality might hand that title over to Brazil mid-year. That's where I am placing my bets.

It's not TB, but it's close enough.

I've always said this: epidemics hold up a mirror to the societies they impact. I was on a conference call on C-19 a month ago. I pretty much posed this question to Dr. Syra Madad, the pathogens expert at NYC Health and Hospitals -- who is also heavily featured on the Netflix doc series "Pandemic" that just came out in January.

First I laid in about the lack of testing in the US, because the US had only performed about 400 tests in total whereas South Korea was doing thousands of tests a day at the time. She gave a kind of political answer saying that the CDC cannot be the bottleneck and they needed to get their tests approved and out to labs all over the country to speed up the testing.

But my main question was the mirror one -- that the US has one of the most expensive and dysfunctional healthcare systems in the world. I essentially quoted this tweet at the time:

But my point was that the US was uniquely setup to screw the pooch on this for the reasons of:
* an expensive health care system that wide swaths of the country cannot afford and thus don't participate in
* a Byzantine patchwork of sick care private insurance systems that lack coordination, lack goals of public health, and are akin to your home having private fire department coverage but your neighbor doesn't and so your whole block goes down in flames
* an employment culture with few work protections so many people have to go to work sick or lose their jobs
* an individualist society that generally cares little about the collective
* a general attitude that nothing bad should ever happen to you, to the extent that citizens feel indignantly aggrieved if they have to wait five more minutes in line at an airport and then post the abomination on social media

This is a dangerous cocktail that is extremely volatile and problematic when confronting a collective threat like this.

Why do people even pay attention to this irrelevant, bitter woman anymore?

Another good rule of thumb in the vortex of lies and b.s. out there right now: put on the skeptic armor anytime someone says something leading with "Game changer!"

Most of the time it's more diaper changer... :pado:
:tup:

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Intellectuals? I think american culture is a get it done culture, you want talkers go to france, and even if "intellectual" discussion is engaged it is all about data and numbers. Our heroes are steve jobs not camus or foucault.
As for scientists, i disagree, experts are always engaged for feedback, the thing though science so to speak is also about politics, money, amd lobbying.
One slight correction - american culture is more of a "talk a big game, pretend to know how to get it done" culture. The shit-the-bad rate is at least as high as anywhere else.
Here people care more about knowing how to create the impression of knowledge/ability than actually possessing said knowledge or ability.
I'd say that's the byproduct of a culture that focuses on short-term results and return, as opposed to long-term ones.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Not true. It's the seventh consecutive day that the daily number of cases is below the peak.
I would say it’s stopped exponential growth, but the new cases per day is fluctuating up and down between 5k-6k and hasn’t shown any signs of dropping yet. Already isolated/quarantined cases probably aren’t passing it on anymore, but those who are newly infected and are asymptomatic/ not taking things seriously enough yet likely are still spreading it which is why we haven’t seen a real drop in new cases yet, even with the quarantine measures taken being more and more extreme.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
UEFA should be held accountable for Atalanta - Valencia in a stacked stadium
I don't get why people have an issue with this. When this match took place, on the 19th of February, Italy had a total of 3 confirmed cases, and Spain had 2. In hindsight it was a bad decision, but no one could have known the gravity of the situation then.
On the other hand, when the Liverpool Atletico match took place at Anfield three weeks later, the UK had 460 confirmed cases and Spain had 2,277. It was unbelievable that UEFA allowed the match to happen without closed doors.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
One slight correction - american culture is more of a "talk a big game, pretend to know how to get it done" culture. The shit-the-bad rate is at least as high as anywhere else.
Here people care more about knowing how to create the impression of knowledge/ability than actually possessing said knowledge or ability.
I'd say that's the byproduct of a culture that focuses on short-term results and return, as opposed to long-term ones.
I don't know which circles you frequent, but from school on everywhere I've been i was challenged to demonstrate the usefulness and efficacity of anything i put forth. We always had controls in place, protocols, postmortems, and bottom lines, shit i didn't see in europe, apart maybe from germany.
As for the short term long term thing, I'm sure you are referring the politics, and that's the case everywhere that is why it's essential to limit the damage of government and policy to a minimum.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
I would say it’s stopped exponential growth, but the new cases per day is fluctuating up and down between 5k-6k and hasn’t shown any signs of dropping yet. Already isolated/quarantined cases probably aren’t passing it on anymore, but those who are newly infected and are asymptomatic/ not taking things seriously enough yet likely are still spreading it which is why we haven’t seen a real drop in new cases yet, even with the quarantine measures taken being more and more extreme.
Yes, the number of daily cases hasn't dropped yet, but they are definitely in the flat part of the curve. Might take them some time to reach the end of the curve. The US on the other hand is showing no signs of slowing down.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 2.05.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 2.10.35 PM.png

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I don't get why people have an issue with this. When this match took place, on the 19th of February, Italy had a total of 3 confirmed cases, and Spain had 2. In hindsight it was a bad decision, but no one could have known the gravity of the situation then.
On the other hand, when the Liverpool Atletico match took place at Anfield three weeks later, the UK had 460 confirmed cases and Spain had 2,277. It was unbelievable that UEFA allowed the match to happen without closed doors.
Our hindsight should have been their foresight

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Making a 5 minute test for COVID is alright but not a necessity, it's a business opportunity for these companies at the moment. What about the treatment? Targeted RNA, antibodies are expensive but need a lot of validation, if they're off target then it's terrible for patients. They need to test all existing drugs and try combinations because they're FDA approved cutting out half the research essentially, this while a vaccine is made.
Right now most people wait 4-5 days to get results, and not all of them isolate themselves during that time.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/28/822869504/why-it-takes-so-long-to-get-most-covid-19-test-results

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
so stuff falls through the cracks and the companies are held liable via recalls. I still don’t think wet markets are a parallel.
They’re all part of a system of packing in animals for human consumption, factory farming, and how that scale results in a lot of human-animal contact.

Intellectuals? I think american culture is a get it done culture, you want talkers go to france, and even if "intellectual" discussion is engaged it is all about data and numbers. Our heroes are steve jobs not camus or foucault.
As for scientists, i disagree, experts are always engaged for feedback, the thing though science so to speak is also about politics, money, amd lobbying.
True dat on France. First time I visited a Paris office for a company I worked for, I swear they took 8 hours to bitch about author’s rights on the Internet over 27 packs of Gitanes.

They isolated Helsinki metropolitan area from rest of the country! And just when I wanted to visit Lapland for the first time! We all gonna die! :panic:
I have a friend in Lapland right now. He says it’s super chill and everybody is acting like C-19 doesn’t even exist with the nearest crisis medical centers hundreds of km away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 56)