Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (48 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #267
    itll be interesting to see how fast this thing spreads through our vast population of hourly workers with no sick leave
    Firms should definitely begin preparing and creating a plan for remote work, if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Their deputy health minister said on Monday that quarantines don't work and this is why they don't need them. On Tuesday he tested positive for COVID - 19 and began a quarantine.

Iranian government is a bunch of incompetent idiots.
    Iran seems to have one of the most incompetent governments in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Markets down once again. I guess Trump's market stick save press conference was unsuccessful.

DOW -2%
    Crude -5% (down to 46.34, that's crazy)
    RBOB -5%
    Gold ^.8%
    Bitcoin -1.8%
    Southwest Airlines - 4% (Went from a 52-week high to a 52-week low within three weeks - that's fucked, might be a good buy there)
    Dollar Index -0.5%

https://www.cnbc.com/

Last edited:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    Just back from visiting grandpa at the hospital. If you want to enter the radiotherapy station, you have to wear gloves, mask and a scrub. Been there before and never ever did i have to wear all this. I'm guessing it's to protect the patients from Corona? I asked but didn't get a clear answer. Apparently it's to protect the patients from what the visitors might bring with them unknowingly.

Would be a big coincidence if this weren't Corona safety measures implemented to protect weakened old people.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #277
    Do we wait for the market to drop even more before buying?
    If the virus takes off in the states like it has in Korea, the markets will definitely go down a lot further.

- - - Updated - - -

Will Amazon shipments arrive with corona?
    Good question. I suppose it depends on how bad it gets here. Obviously if it reaches the level of the Wuhan contagion, then there will probably be quarantine zones, which means there will be huge disruptions in supply chain along with deliveries of everything suspended. Even with a mild outbreak, supply chain will probably be disrupted to some degree. The cities will be much worse off I'd imagine, bot the virus spread and supply chain due to people wanting to avoid certain areas.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #279
    Should there be an outbreak, is water supply something you've to be worried about, or just stock up on rice and beans?
    Depends on how well municipalities can filter their water. I've heard some reports of the virus being able to infect via fecal matter spores, which means if it does somewhow get into the water supply, people would be at risk. I typically don't drink tap water, regardless of whether it's a small or large city, so I always have water on hand. It could become a major issue, not sure what happened to the water in China.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #280
    I'm hoping that the CDC is correct and the virus subsides as we trend closer to summer. If it is like the seasonal flu in that regard, then the quarantine procedures and travel restrictions are very important in order to delay the virus and buy time. If somehow it can be delayed until April or May, then the outbreak may lose steam by then due to rising temperatures and humidity.

The Climate Prediction Center is forecasting higher than average temperatures and precipitation this spring across the US, which will mean higher humidity. Flu-like viruses don't like humidity as the transmission rate goes down. Perhaps the climate will save our collective asses from an outbreak.

https://www.weathernationtv.com/news/noaa-spring-outlook-leans-towards-warmth-and-wet-weather/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/cdc...-like-the-flu-and-subsides-in-the-summer.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)