[CL] Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 JUVENTUS [March 7th 2018] (5 Viewers)

VOTE CAZZO

• Buffon

• Barzagli

• Benatia

• Chiellini

• Alex Sandro

• Lichtsteiner

• Asamoah

• Sturaro

• Khedira

• Matuidi

• Pjanic

• Douglas Costa

• Dybala

• Higuain

Results are only viewable after voting.

soccerr9

Oct 5, 2015
Other than a 10 minute period in the first leg and a 15 minute period in the second leg Tottenham were dominating us.

Our midfield will be eaten alive if we come up against Real. Khediera is non existent. Our midfield is so distinctively average for a top European side. Matuidi, Pjanic and Costa are all just below world class unfortunately and Kheideira isn't close. Honestly can't see us progressing to final with our current midfield unfortunately.
----------------Higuaín
----------------Dybala
Sandro--Matuidi/Khedira--Pjanic--Costa
---Asamoah--Chiellini--CB------RB

I think this side can trouble a lot of teams until Juve upgrade the midfield. Sandro as a LM is so much better than at LB. He presses as well as Matuidi but is technically far superior especially when dribbling. Asamoah behind him covers for the Brazilian's defensive lapses. Plus Asamoah deserves to start given how well he has been this year. So underrated.

Eventually it would be great to see Cuadrado, Costa, Dybala, and Higuaín start at the same time.

dyl1dyl

May 9, 2012
----------------Higuaín
----------------Dybala

I think this side can trouble a lot of teams until Juve upgrade the midfield. Sandro as a LM is so much better than at LB. He presses as well as Matuidi but is technically far superior especially when dribbling. Asamoah behind him covers for the Brazilian's defensive lapses. Plus Asamoah deserves to start given how well he has been this year. So underrated.

Eventually it would be great to see Cuadrado, Costa, Dybala, and Higuaín start at the same time.
i agree. its pretty old fashioned but i think a 4-4-1-1 would work great for us at the moment. would also mean we have a decent bench with mandzukic, cuadrado and khedira on the bench

JUVESUPPORTER

Aug 25, 2003
Would you pay 110mil and laugh your ass off?
Not that much but I'd take him back.

- - - Updated - - -

----------------Higuaín
----------------Dybala

It could definitely trouble some teams but its not exactly intimidating.

soccerr9

Oct 5, 2015
I think they were undefeated in 17 or 18 matches coming into last night's match. They were in some pretty damn fine form.
Exactly. Spurs are a great side. Heck they were superior to PSG in this CL. Until they lost to Juve, they won 14 straight at home and were unbeaten since November. They smashed Liverpool 4-1 at Wembley, 2-2 at Anfield right after City lost there 4-3. Beat United 2-0 and Arsenal 1-0 at home.

So despite all the injuries, Juve eliminated probably the best side not to qualify for the quarters. Imagine the potential this Juve have once they recover from injuries and hit form. Their attack is as lethal as it has been in years.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that much but I'd take him back.

- - - Updated - - -

It could definitely trouble some teams but its not exactly intimidating.
In certain respects I think this team can be more difficult to beat than last year. Sandro at LM over Mandzukic, Matuidi in place of Khedira, and Costa instead of Cuadrado are all strong options that didn't exist in 2017.

Spurs are well known for their physical condition, but it was Juve who looked like the better conditioned team with 30 minutes left. Sandro can be a liability in defense, but his mixture of physicality and technique makes him an excellent left mid.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
You proved to be right! The irony is that the 4-4-2/4-2-4 that Allegri switched to with 30 minutes left was the same formation that caused Juve so many issues in the first leg. The biggest difference is Poch using Son in a 4-3-3 in the 2nd leg compared to the narrow 4-2-3-1 with Lamela that he employed in Turin.

Allegri going with a 4-2-4 in Turin vs Poch's narrow 4-2-3-1 meant that Juve were overrun centrally 2 vs 4.
Allegri going with 3-5-2 at Wembley vs the 4-3-3 meant that Juve were overrun out wide particularly on Son's side. Son played so high (essentially as an extra forward rather than wide player) that Costa couldn't get deep enough to track him. This left Barzagli 1v 1. Thankfully Allegri saw this and changed with 30 minutes left. By shifting back to a 4-4-2/4-2-4 Tottenham's wing play was covered while Sandro and Costa were 1v1 with their fullbacks. This created all sorts of space for Dybala and Higuaín to combine centrally.

Pocettino deserves credit for setting up his teams in a way that contrasted what Allegri wanted to do. Allegri deserves credit for the biggest adjustment of the tie with 30 minutes to go. It also helps to have Dybala in 4-4-2 since he is essentially an extra attacking CM compared to Mandzukic.
Hey, I just wanted you to apologize to Licht :D He clearly is capable to be a supportive fullback upfront

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Exactly. Spurs are a great side. Heck they were superior to PSG in this CL. Until they lost to Juve, they won 14 straight at home and were unbeaten since November. They smashed Liverpool 4-1 at Wembley, 2-2 at Anfield right after City lost there 4-3. Beat United 2-0 and Arsenal 1-0 at home.

So despite all the injuries, Juve eliminated probably the best side not to qualify for the quarters. Imagine the potential this Juve have once they recover from injuries and hit form. Their attack is as lethal as it has been in years.

- - - Updated - - -

In certain respects I think this team can be more difficult to beat than last year. Sandro at LM over Mandzukic, Matuidi in place of Khedira, and Costa instead of Cuadrado are all strong options that didn't exist in 2017.

Spurs are well known for their physical condition, but it was Juve who looked like the better conditioned team with 30 minutes left. Sandro can be a liability in defense, but his mixture of physicality and technique makes him an excellent left mid.
People who are saying we were good for only 15 mins of the 180 min tie are crazy. That final half hour was great - some of the best “game management” you’ll see from a team in Europe this season. Completely shut the game down and barely gave Spurs a sniff (other than the offside Kane header). Considering the amount of injuries, vital players nowhere near top form and our “sloppy” play as of late, that was a great win that will do us the world of good from here til the end of the season.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
People were saying we were good for only 15 mins of the 180 min tie are crazy. That final half hour was great - some of the best “game management” you’ll see from a team in Europe this season. Completely shut the game down and barely gave Spurs a sniff (other than the offside Kane header). Considering the amount of injuries, vital players nowhere near top form and our “sloppy” play as of late, that was a great win that will do us the world of good from here til the end of the season.
It looks like Allegri knew we can't cope for long with the pressure from Tottenham if we score a quick goal. This is why we really started attacking in the 55 minute and 10 minutes later we got the result. Sounds crazy but it's quite possible with Allegri.

soccerr9

Oct 5, 2015
People were saying we were good for only 15 mins of the 180 min tie are crazy. That final half hour was great - some of the best “game management” you’ll see from a team in Europe this season. Completely shut the game down and barely gave Spurs a sniff (other than the offside Kane header). Considering the amount of injuries, vital players nowhere near top form and our “sloppy” play as of late, that was a great win that will do us the world of good from here til the end of the season.
Agreed. I don't buy "only 15 minutes." Juve's performance in possession in Turin was awful after going up 2-0. However, Juve were the ones that had by far the better chances. The tie could have been over at 3-0 or 3-1 in the first half had Higuaín finished two of the easiest chances he will get. I'm not sure how a team can "dominate" despite giving up 2 goals immediately on top of 3-4 clear cut scoring opportunities.

In the away leg, Juve set up badly in the first half and Son was given too much space which lead to no less than 4-5 scoring chances. Only in those 45 minutes did it feel like Tottenham had their way completely against Juve. In the 2nd half Tottenham faded when it mattered most.

Leg 1
Juve won the first half.
Juve won the 2nd despite giving up a soft goal on a FK. At best it was 50/50.

Leg 2
Spurs won the first half
Juve won the 2nd.

Is this version of Juve good enough to beat the other European elite? Heck no. Does winning this tie give Juve the time they need to recover players and find form? Yes. It can't be stressed enough, Tottenham are very very good in midfield and attack. Very good and in excellent form. Juve eliminated them while not being even close to full strength. Imagine when Juve are in form and healthy. The job now is to get the squad to that point. I miss Cuadrado!

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
I really think Allegri got murdered in the 2nd leg. One of the very few times I can say that.
I don't get why tho. Spurs style simply can't have been a surprise to him. Was he expecting soemthing else from Pooch or did his players misunderstand the tactical plan; or perhaps he was outcoached.

High press; direct balls towards Kane, Alli, Son (a lot of of-the-ball movement); overload around the 2nd ball, win it and establish your play with Eriksen and Dembele; lose the ball-> high press (rinse and repeat). When in a while you see Vertonghen or Dembele build-up but usually when the high press is already working.

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
I don't get why tho. Spurs style simply can't have been a surprise to him. Was he expecting soemthing else from Pooch or did his players misunderstand the tactical plan; or perhaps he was outcoached.

High press; direct balls towards Kane, Alli, Son (a lot of of-the-ball movement); overload around the 2nd ball, win it and establish your play with Eriksen and Dembele; lose the ball-> high press (rinse and repeat). When in a while you see Vertonghen or Dembele build-up but usually when the high press is already working.
Lul.

You had me at Pooch.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
I wish Max could just make it easy for us fans and not make us endure such nervous moments all the time

If that Kane header had of get knocked in by them I would have literally been deflated

It is such a good feeling when we win such a tight and important game like that but my god the emotions I go through is too much

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
icemaη;5694505 said:
Did the stadium go silent after the first goal?
Actually they went with their typical "come on you spurs" after the equaliser. Their cheering was pathetic but Juventini were not impressive either. Our group of 30 Polish fans annoyed the fuck out of these cvnts :D (spurs) constantly cheering Juve as they were losing their temper.
It was such an entertaining evening that I will remember it for a very long time.

Wysłane z mojego FRD-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka

JUVESUPPORTER

Aug 25, 2003
Marotta is lucky to have a coach like Allegri, who can compensate for our lack of strength in midfield.
If Juventus had just one transfer campaign similar to a Man Utd, Man City, PSG, Real or Chelsea of old frenzy we would undoubtedly be CL champs by now.

I want a spending spree similar to the year we got Nedved, Buffon, Thuram.

Is that too much to ask? We surely have money in our war chest from our European and Italian successes.

At the moment we are competing at the top level (2 cl finals in 3 years) but eventually the transfer campaigns of City, PSG and dare I say it even Man United will start to pull away from us while Real, Barcelona and Bayern will be in a different stratosphere.

Juventus seriously need to spend like the big boys or risk falling behind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)