[CL] Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 JUVENTUS [March 7th 2018] (6 Viewers)

VOTE CAZZO

• Buffon

• Barzagli

• Benatia

• Chiellini

• Alex Sandro

• Lichtsteiner

• Asamoah

• Sturaro

• Khedira

• Matuidi

• Pjanic

• Douglas Costa

• Dybala

• Higuain

Results are only viewable after voting.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The amount of butthurt and revisionist history from Tottenham fans on reddit and other forums is hilarious. Saying our defenders were brutes the whole series, they had 2 phantom goals disallowed, etc. Never mind the clear penalty we had denied this match. Shit is too funny.
Not to mention the excuse that the English superhero Harry Kane nearly nicked an equalizer in injury time as if to dismiss that the clown was clearly offside from the get-go. May as well be reading Emily Brontë instead of watching the CL because we’re just debating fiction at that point. Horseshoes and hand-grenades.

Yet nobody seems to be pointing out the EPL’s Achilles heel of the past decade: they can’t defend for shit nor do they give the discipline any value. The EPL routinely splashed out £70 million for the likes of Mangala thinking that’s the answer and they can’t even fucking scout worth a damn, let alone know the market value of good defenders nor how to actually use them effectively. So seeing Buffon and Killini celebrating blocks like goals and pretty much putting an anaconda of death around the Spurs necks for the past 20 minutes was hilarious. They fucking had no clue what they were witnessing let alone how to attempt it.

As Alejandro Moreno put it so well on ESPNFC last night: “The Spurs got Juventus’d” :lol: Love it.

No, we need to remind everyone that it was mostly down to Juventus' brilliance than Tottenham choking. The English media, seem to forget that Tottenham came back from 2-0 last leg, so their mentality can't be that weak. Juventus just showed up when it mattered and proved they are a different class.
Only 17% of teams that draw 2-2 at home in a CL elimination tie see it through in the second leg. Make no mistake that Juve was skating on thin ice. But they pulled it off, and it wasn’t because the Spurs played like shit.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Not to mention the excuse that the English superhero Harry Kane nearly nicked an equalizer in injury time as if to dismiss that the clown was clearly offside from the get-go. May as well be reading Emily Brontë instead of watching the CL because we’re just debating fiction at that point. Horseshoes and hand-grenades.

Yet nobody seems to be pointing out the EPL’s Achilles heel of the past decade: they can’t defend for shit nor do they give the discipline any value. The EPL routinely splashed out £70 million for the likes of Mangala thinking that’s the answer and they can’t even fucking scout worth a damn, let alone know the market value of good defenders nor how to actually use them effectively. So seeing Buffon and Killini celebrating blocks like goals and pretty much putting an anaconda of death around the Spurs necks for the past 20 minutes was hilarious. They fucking had no clue what they were witnessing let alone how to attempt it.

As Alejandro Moreno put it so well on ESPNFC last night: “The Spurs got Juventus’d” :lol: Love it.

Only 17% of teams that draw 2-2 at home in a CL elimination tie see it through in the second leg. Make no mistake that Juve was skating on thin ice. But they pulled it off, and it wasn’t because the Spurs played like shit.
Was this the article that was talking about Chiellini, Barzagli, Buffon, Lichtsteiner looked like they were enjoying themselves in that last 20 minutes, not sweating it out at the back, but relishing the pressure, celebrating, shouting, fist-bumping on each block, interception, tackle, clearance, etc.

When was the last time you saw EPL defenders expressing such fierce emotions with each successful defensive intervention? I'll say never.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
the day after, i would love to say that im still enjoying our victory, but i just cant get over that preseason game back in August, it still irks me to this day how bad we were. bitter

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Was probably pretty demoralising to them
After the double punch, they were rattled. Suddenly they needed a second touch of the ball to control it and were rushed into most plays. Then they see our defenders doing that. Must have been hell, poor fellas.

- - - Updated - - -

the day after, i would love to say that im still enjoying our victory, but i just cant get over that preseason game back in August, it still irks me to this day how bad we were. bitter
Horrible we were.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I think they were undefeated in 17 or 18 matches coming into last night's match. They were in some pretty damn fine form.
I'm not trying to play down our achievements, only commenting on their reputation. We did fantastically well to win that game, all things considered. It's just a shame we are in such a physical condition as our general play would have been much better and it would have made the tie easier.

Still, I think it'll work in our favour as some will think we are a bit weaker if they just watch the two games.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I'm not trying to play down our achievements, only commenting on their reputation. We did fantastically well to win that game, all things considered. It's just a shame we are in such a physical condition as our general play would have been much better and it would have made the tie easier.

Still, I think it'll work in our favour as some will think we are a bit weaker if they just watch the two games.
Perhaps all the injuries and time off for guys like Higuain, Mandzukic, Cuadrado, Dybala, etc will help us out down the stretch in terms of players burning out like they did at the final hurdle last season after months of little rotation and no attackers on the bench once we switched to 4-2-3-1.

If we can get most everyone back healthy after the international break, and fortune smiles upon us in April-May, I could see us finding some very good form, and surprising a few of the top teams in QFs-SFs.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Back line was a flat four. CBs were split on each side of the keeper. Clearly we had no sweeper lol. Just in attack we were unbalanced and Barza stayed back. And Benatia was more central. So it was a different formation in attack.

Kane would have not touched the ball if we played a true 3-5-2 where he gets man marked and then there is a sweeper behind and a CDM in front. Instead he won every ball.

You tell the formation from the defensive setup not when you get the ball. When you get the ball the formation will always change completely.
In defensive set up, very rarely was Alex Sandro in line with the other three defenders. He was next to Matuidi as second defensive line. In fact when defending it was a crystal clear 3 defender and 4 midfielders. A flat four in Alex Sandro Matuidi Pjanic Khedira

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Same here but this was redemption. Happy to lose more friendlies if it means winning when it counts.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
In defensive set up, very rarely was Alex Sandro in line with the other three defenders. He was next to Matuidi as second defensive line. In fact when defending it was a crystal clear 3 defender and 4 midfielders. A flat four in Alex Sandro Matuidi Pjanic Khedira
So you saw Khedira as a RM? I mean this cannot be possible lol.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Was this the article that was talking about Chiellini, Barzagli, Buffon, Lichtsteiner looked like they were enjoying themselves in that last 20 minutes, not sweating it out at the back, but relishing the pressure, celebrating, shouting, fist-bumping on each block, interception, tackle, clearance, etc.

When was the last time you saw EPL defenders expressing such fierce emotions with each successful defensive intervention? I'll say never.
Well, here's the last quote:
http://www.espnfc.com/video/espn-fc-tv/86/video/3410824/extra-time-spurs-got-juventusd

I think this best captured recognition of how Chiellini and Buffon celebrated clearances like goals:
http://lebuzz.eurosport.co.uk/viral/relationship-goals-fans-swoon-buffon-chiellini-35532/

Was probably pretty demoralising to them
It was alien to them. Like it was a sport they had only heard about.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Nah, it was a beautiful win. We let Tottenham handle the beauty part and we took the win.
Thats one way to make people's brains associate Juve with entertainment. Get the opposition to play beautiful and do the absolute bare minimum to get the result :)

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
It was a back 3 from what I could tell, that's a big reason to why Son was always free in behind the midfield as Barzagli was more central.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Well, here's the last quote:
http://www.espnfc.com/video/espn-fc-tv/86/video/3410824/extra-time-spurs-got-juventusd

I think this best captured recognition of how Chiellini and Buffon celebrated clearances like goals:
http://lebuzz.eurosport.co.uk/viral/relationship-goals-fans-swoon-buffon-chiellini-35532/

It was alien to them. Like it was a sport they had only heard about.
:tup:

Here's the quote I was remembering. It was Adam Digby.

What made this worse for the Spurs who had packed out the national stadium is that the two defenders – along with Buffon – were not just good enough to stop Harry Kane and co. from finding a way through, it was that they enjoyed the challenge. Each time Barzagli or Chiellini made a crucial intervention, the goalkeeper was there with a fist bump, celebrating as if they had scored a goal rather than denied one. At one point, Buffon made a save and Chiellini bent over and fired a succession of punches into his kidneys, screaming with joy at seeing one more attack thwarted and one more minute tick off the clock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)