[CL] JUVENTUS 1-0 Monaco (April 14th, 2015) (5 Viewers)

MoM vs Monaco

• Buffon

• Chiellini

• Bonucci

• Licht

• Evra

• Marchisio

• Pirlo

• Vidal

• Pereyra

• Morata

• Tevez

• Barzagli

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rabbit

Secure The Bag
Jun 8, 2010
I really don't believe it was a foul. He had his eyes on the ball and their legs got a bit tangled meaning they both went down. It did prevent Morata from a goal scoring opportunity but that's footy.

If that was a penalty then so was Chiellini's defending in the first half.

Anyway, we won, by the skin of our teeth.
lol, you trying to be a mad dog by making bs comments like this?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Dec 8, 2014
While it was not our best performance, I do no think it was a particularly poor one either. Although Buffon was forced to make a few crucial saves, we did control the game for the most part, and with some better finishing, could have scored 3 or 4 goals. In real time, I did think it was a penatly. After watching the replay numerous times though, I really do not know whether the foul was inside or outside the penalty area. Either way, it was close enough that I can understand why the referee made the decision he did. I thought that it should have been a red card though. He was the last defender and while we will never know, I do not think it unrealistic to assume that Morata would take that ball clean through on goal. I can only assume that the referee did not see it that way or was just simply hesitant to issue a red card under the circumstances of it being the first leg of a Champions League quarter final. Overall though, I think we can draw positives and enter the second leg next week confident of progression.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
monaco player was past him hence why chiellini brought him down imo clear penal
The Monaco player actually fouls Chiellini first by leaning in and reaching his arm across Chiellini to impede him. That's never a penalty. 50/50, and the ref is right to let them play. Both players fouled the other.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Monaco are the underdogs here. Most commentators tend to side with the underdog. It was the same with Polish guys. Last game against BVB they were creaming all over Juve, but this time they were mostly praising Monaco.
Uh, I didn't hear a peep out of the commentators about Monaco when they destroyed Arsenal. It was all "Arsenal failed to do this", "Arsenal can't do that", "Arsenal should have done this"... as if Arsenal was the Harlem Globetrotters and Monaco was "Team X".

Seven couldn't since he was playing football in real life while we were playing.
:D Nice 'do.

Jun 13, 2007
We started shaky and took more control as the game progressed. I was worried about Pirlo starting after a long absence, but he did well. Monaco is a good team, and are hard to break down. I didn't think they would be this frustrating, but I can see why Arsenal struggled against them in that first leg. They are well organized, and are physically powerful, as well as quick on the counter. They're the perfect 'small' team.

We could have conceded early on, and life would have been much more difficult if we had. Fortunately, we didn't and the final result favors us a lot now since it forces Monaco to open up next game. Vidal made some great tackles that reminded me of the old Vidal that we all fell in love with. He put in a very solid, passionate, and inspired performance. He enjoyed that goal, and I hope it restores some confidence in the offensive side of his game. The rest of the team was okay, Buffon was spectacular, best perfomance in a long time. Just when I was starting to think his reaction speeds just aren't what they used to be, he goes ahead and saves our blushes, while Licht was having a horrible night, just couldn't get anything going on that right wing.

Overall, it was an alright performance, and the team showed good resolve to take control of the game after a tough start. This is the CL quarter final, and it is certainly true that any team at this stage will be a tough challenge, Monaco reminded us of that. I'm counting on Tevez and Morata to have a better game next week and cement a foot in the Semi's with an early goal.. We're close, very close..

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
agreed, it was outside the box, but it should have been a red card. Also i $#@!ing hate chiellinis antics in the box, he would have cost again a penal if not for the ref turning a blind eye.
Chiellini has been out of control for years now. If we plotted his antics on a control chart, it would look like ursa major.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
I will take the result and that's it. Didn't like the performance at all. Buffon made 3 great saves, 2 of them face-to-face, and they had Berbatov's header. 4 clear cut chances. It's probably more than the ones we had.

Also we got bailed by the referee big time, honestly. I still find that penalty very doubtful. And Chiellini did fault Martial. Chiellini grabbed him first, right after Martial also hook on Chielini, but Chiellini is the one who did it first, bringing the guy to the floor. Also on a corner Chiellini practically applied a MMA coup on some guy, it was ugly, it could have been called. And there was one Vidal tackle right in front of the box for Monaco that wasn't called. It was blatant and Vidal should have been booked. It would be a central free kick in a similar position to where Morata tripped.

I don't like to say this, but we were poor and weren't better than Monaco. Buffon and the referee decided the match.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident the team will play better away and we're going to the semis.

juventus4life

Apr 21, 2012
Berbatov's header to the far corner was one of their great chance. I guess Allegri didn't want to put a defender there so that the opponent got more chance of being offside. The thing is our defenders usually got outjumped on corner kicks.

Mar 3, 2014
Monaco can complain all they want but if that call was correct:
1) It have been a red card, and Monaco would have played down a man.
2) It would be a free kick right outside the box. Pirlo would take it and it certainly would go in. Pirlo doesn't miss from there.

We probably would have won by more than 1.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Monaco can complain all they want but if that call was correct:
1) It have been a red card, and Monaco would have played down a man.
2) It would be a free kick right outside the box. Pirlo would take it and it certainly would go in. Pirlo doesn't miss from there.
This. Clear red card. Great free kick opportunity. Monaco down a man for 40 minutes meaning the match could easily end 2-0 or 3-0. Carvalho suspended for the return leg.

Obviously having it called correctly and the red card given would have been preferable for us.

And a couple people here need to stop being ridiculous. Even Monaco's captain said it was "without a doubt a foul", that's a direct quote. Since it was a foul, it was a red card, for being last man and preventing a goalscoring opportunity.

We outplayed Monaco for 65 minutes of the match. We had the two best chances of the match, Tevez and Vidal spurned them. Their two great chances Carrasco and Berbatov spurned. The other two Buffon saves, one was a distant shot that was going over, and the other was a bad angle, that was going into the side netting if Buffon doesn't touch it.

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
I will take the result and that's it. Didn't like the performance at all. Buffon made 3 great saves, 2 of them face-to-face, and they had Berbatov's header. 4 clear cut chances. It's probably more than the ones we had.

Also we got bailed by the referee big time, honestly. I still find that penalty very doubtful. And Chiellini did fault Martial. Chiellini grabbed him first, right after Martial also hook on Chielini, but Chiellini is the one who did it first, bringing the guy to the floor. Also on a corner Chiellini practically applied a MMA coup on some guy, it was ugly, it could have been called. And there was one Vidal tackle right in front of the box for Monaco that wasn't called. It was blatant and Vidal should have been booked. It would be a central free kick in a similar position to where Morata tripped.

I don't like to say this, but we were poor and weren't better than Monaco. Buffon and the referee decided the match.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident the team will play better away and we're going to the semis.
The second save from Buffon was going out of the box anyway.And you are not remembering Tevez miss and Vidal's at the last minute of the second half.And that Morata clear chance on Tevez's pass.That was in another game not against Monaco?And Carvalho not getting a straight red was also a referee favour to us?

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Painfully average performance. We weren't sharp enough to break them down or finish them off. I really didn't like Pirlo at all in this match with his decisive pass being the exception. He slowed down our passing and made it predictable to defend. The ball always went back to Pirlo as it usually does when he plays. For him to really improve us he needs to be in peak form and pull of every pass he makes and he just wasn't. Pereyra, Tevez and Morata were all out of touch.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Didn't look like a penalty...pretty sure the contact was outside the box but it was a clear red card so Monaco dodged a bullet there. I don't understand how/why refs can give yellows in that situation.

If Carvahlo is the last man, and catches Morata from behind, it's either no foul or an automatic red right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)