Champions League 2019/20 (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
The way both Madrid and City have been playing since the restart is a massive cause for concern. We're not in the best shape, we have a far worse coach than both teams, and with potential injuries piling up, we'd be lucky to get to a game against either of them with 11 fit outfield players. Let's hope we can get past Lyon first though. It'd be extremely embarrassing if we fail against the Frenchies, and it should spell the immediate end of Sorri's reign.

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
The only advantage I see for us is the one-game system in this knock-out stage. With some luck, who knows, maybe we can make it to final.

We have two weeks to rest and recover at least some of the injured players.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
At this point I have 0 hopes to win this tournament, so every match won will be a surprise to me.

There's always next year, and the next, and the next, and the next.....

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
We have a chance to do a Chelsea style smash and grab. I'd get that defence tight and work on being clinical because we won't get so much possession or chances in CL.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
We have a chance to do a Chelsea style smash and grab. I'd get that defence tight and work on being clinical because we won't get so much possession or chances in CL.
Chelsea was a 100% defence team with 0 attacking. We are basically the opposite but whereas Chelsea defending was actually good, our attacking is terrible.

james95

Sep 2, 2018
Chelsea was a 100% defence team with 0 attacking. We are basically the opposite but whereas Chelsea defending was actually good, our attacking is terrible.
Chelsea’s defense wasn’t even good. They basically relied on the oppositions profligacy meaning it was pure luck. In the semi-final Barca had so many chances to put them to the sword (even a missed penalty) but failed. In the final, Bayern had like 30-40 shots and even missed a penalty in extra-time. Chelsea’s triumph in 2012 was more of a freak occurrence rather than some defensive masterclass. Replay those games in the semi-final and final again under the same conditions and it’s unlikely they win.

Last edited:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We certainly aren't winning it. If we somehow get past Lyon and then City/Madrid the semi-final is 3 days later. Yeah, forget that with our team.

The QFs are played on the 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th, and SFs on 18th. How the hell is that fair? So one SF will consist of a team with 6 day's rest versus a team with 3 day's...

Imagine facing Atalanta in that situation. Farcical.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
We certainly aren't winning it. If we somehow get past Lyon and then City/Madrid the semi-final is 3 days later. Yeah, forget that with our team.

The QFs are played on the 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th, and SFs on 18th. How the hell is that fair? So one SF will consist of a team with 6 day's rest versus a team with 3 day's...

Imagine facing Atalanta in that situation. Farcical.
Not exactly. The teams that win QFs on 12th and 13th will play the semi on 18th, while the winners of QFs played on 14th and 15th will play their semi on 19th.

And we can't face Atalanta till the final anyway. They will play either Leipzig or Atletico if they beat PSG.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Not exactly. The teams that win QFs on 12th and 13th will play the semi on 18th, while the winners of QFs played on 14th and 15th will play their semi on 19th.

And we can't face Atalanta till the final anyway. They will play either Leipzig or Atletico if they beat PSG.
Ah, so Google lied to me.

Who knows what will happen in one-off games, but it would be a huge surprise to go past QF for this team imo.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't expect to go past Lyon :p.
I reckon they'll cause us problems for an hour then tire, match sharpness will also surely play a part. Who knows what condition we will be in, but there will be a 12-day gap between Samp and Lyon.

I watched Rangers against Coventry on Saturday, and if Rangers can beat Lyon in a semi-competitive match we have more than a chance. They fell asleep twice against Rangers, and those are the kind of things that happen without sharpness.

Our lack of attacking depth is a concern, but Berna and DC tend to do better in the CL games with more open football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)