Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2015
You're oversimplifying, because passive offside is 100% interpretative.

You can stand offside all you want if you don't make an attempt on the ball, or impede the keeper's ability to make a save. In this case, I don't believe the player impeded the keeper to the point that it warranted the offside call. You're welcome to think it did, but let's not act like it's unbelievable that someone doesn't agree with you.

Anyways, water under the bridge now. It was disallowed.
There are plenty of calls you can debate over this just isn't one if we go by the rules. It's certainly unlucky as Tadic was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
The handball rule depends on a player's intention. The offside rule is only about geometry.
Only in the case the player actually makes a play on the ball.

Passive offside rule for a playing standing there, only comes into play through interpretation of whether the player interfered with the keeper's ability to make a save.

As I said, in the end it's fine for the ref to call it this way, but I disagree with it. It's a 50/50 call imo, like Benatia last year.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Only in the case the player actually makes a play on the ball.

Passive offside rule for a playing standing there, only comes into play through interpretation of whether the player interfered with the keeper's ability to make a save.

As I said, in the end it's fine for the ref to call it this way, but I disagree with it. It's a 50/50 call imo, like Benatia last year.
No no. The offside rule is only q question about black and white. People, who doesn’t know that, are pleebs.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
There are plenty of calls you can debate over this just isn't one if we go by the rules. It's certainly unlucky as Tadic was in the wrong position in the wrong time.
100% debatable. Again, this isn't a rule that says offside or not. Passive offside is interpretative and requires interfering with the opponent. Are you purposefully ignoring that no one is arguing that he wasn't offside? You said offside is not up for interpretation, when in this type of offside it 100% is. The ref and VAR determined through INTERPRETATION that he interfered with Courtois while in an offside position.

As I said though, it was disallowed, water under the bridge now. Having seen multiple times now, I think it was a 50/50 call on the interference, so fine that ref decided that (and it's fine that you agree), would have been fine the other way too. Same deal with the Benatia penalty we conceded last year too. Once immediate aftermath passions calmed, it was a 50/50 call imo.

Jun 6, 2015
Suck my dinglebeeries. That’s not what you said. You said offside is not up till interpretation. That’s absolutely bs.
“Interfering with an opponent” means:
  • Preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball. For example, by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper’s line of vision or movement.
  • Making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.
It is. The rules are pretty clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 53)