Champions League 2017/2018 (11 Viewers)

Jethro

Mar 6, 2018
Interviewer: “Did it hit your hand?”

Marcelo: “Yes, it hit my hand.”

Interviewer: “If it hit your hand, then it was penalty.”

Marcelo: “It hit my hand, yes, I think it was a penalty . . . but I'm not going to talk about the referees. They've let us down many times, so now I cannot talk about the referees, when they benefit us. It was difficult for the referee, because he had many players in front of him, I'd be lying if I said it didn't hit me on the hand.”

"They've let us down many times" :lol: :lol2:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

Marcelo: “It hit my hand, yes, I think it was a penalty . . . but I'm not going to talk about the referees. They've let us down many times, so now I cannot talk about the referees, when they benefit us. It was difficult for the referee, because he had many players in front of him, I'd be lying if I said it didn't hit me on the hand.”

Right after this episode Marcelo and Ronaldo had a quick chat in their penalty box. I got the impression that CR asked whether it was a PK and that Marcelo admitted it was.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't get the debate about the Marcelo handball. It's a penalty. As simple as that. And the challenge of Ramos on Lewandowski was also a penalty. In fact, it was eerily similar to Benatia's challenge, only a whole lot worse.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Theres no problem because there isnt any problem. Thats all theres to it. And thank god we have VAR to cancel out bad decitions.

Do not compare because is not the same sceneario.

And i dont care about what the rest of italy say because we are head and shoulders better than them and we win our games in the end, while they fluff all their games and come to us for an excuse.

You implication that we are the real madrid of italy boderline worrysome coming from a supposed juve fan
We ARE the Real Madrid of Italy. I thought it was pretty obvious ?

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
You are the one with the soft red... :sergio:

Koulibali was sent off for a textbook technical foul. It wasn't for a violent conduct like Vecino. :sergio:

Unlike you referees know the rules and follow them.
Unless its Madrid but never Juve huh :lol:

You missed my point entirely btw.

One dude said luck and ref mistakes usually go in Madrid's favor in CL helps them out but that doesnt change the fact that they are a great team. Pretending otherwise is like Inter & Napoli fans do with us when we get mistakes and luck of this sort.

Second dude said thats nonsense because in doesnt matter in a league.

I am saying it matters in a league if the competition is tight then those small details can change the winner of the league as if it were a knockout competition so dude 1 is not entirely wrong.

These examples I gave arent always mistakes in our favor. The Pjanic one is obvious but the point is that if we were less lucky with Pjanic, Muntari or Koulibali or Vecino things could have ended up differently. So to be clear, I am not saying that all of these incidents were wrong decisions, some are and some arent. But if we were unlucky then the ref could have overlooked it and the results might have been different.

So dude 1 is right. We dont complain as much when it suits us and would probably love it if it happens to us in the CL and we would call complainers as sore losers the way we
are doing with the weaker Italian clubs.

- - - Updated - - -

Believe it or not, but I also think referees are more biased since the new edition of the CL. Before this edition, one of the reasons why various teams won the competition was that referees where 'randomly' biased and unfair. You could see an English ref (for instance) waving on on a very hard challenges and that changes the complexion of a game to the point where Real M might not have advantage over a very average technically, but bullish physically team.

Nowdays, with the increase of 'star' power, certain players are considered untouchable and every little foul is given, special treatment is always afforded to them and so forth. I think that is why people expect us to 'match' Real M 'star power'. Since most call quality the function of what a player does on the pitch and the titles that he wins - having a quality 'bias' in the head of the referee is more than just wrong...
Dude Maradona famously won a world cup with his hand. We just don't remember these small things in the past and eventually we will forget this too and only the fact that Madrid won 3 back to back CL will be remembered.

If anything refs go into a game like this wanting to be careful as to not appear biased (because the media narrative before the match is that they are biased) and then have to also appear unaffected by the pressure from media and to be fair to Madrid and so end up over compensating for that by making a mistake in their favor.

Mou famously adds media pressure on refs before the game because he is hoping that this will make them less likely to favor the opposition because they dont want to prove him right. More often then not it ends up having the opposite effect. The ref feels a pressure to show that he is unaffected by Mou's words and so errs on the opposition's favor. :)

I dont know this for a fact ofc I just think its plausible that this happens.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Dude Maradona famously won a world cup with his hand. We just don't remember these small things in the past and eventually we will forget this too and only the fact that Madrid won 3 back to back CL will be remembered.

If anything refs go into a game like this wanting to be careful as to not appear biased (because the media narrative before the match is that they are biased) and then have to also appear unaffected by the pressure from media and to be fair to Madrid and so end up over compensating for that by making a mistake in their favor.

Mou famously adds media pressure on refs before the game because he is hoping that this will make them less likely to favor the opposition because they dont want to prove him right. More often then not it ends up having the opposite effect. The ref feels a pressure to show that he is unaffected by Mou's words and so errs on the opposition's favor. :)

I dont know this for a fact ofc I just think its plausible that this happens.
nah, hand of god incident is probably more famous than that WC win by Argentina :D most footie fans know it happened, but not everyone could tell you who were they playing against, which year was it or at which stage of the tournament he scored that goal.

similarly to this, I don't think I'll ever forget Madrid's luck in CL, sure I'll remember Ronaldo being mega clutch, but I'll also remember the tournament being ruined by backwards UEFA

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
nah, hand of god incident is probably more famous than that WC win by Argentina :D most footie fans know it happened, but not everyone could tell you who were they playing against, which year was it or at which stage of the tournament he scored that goal.

similarly to this, I don't think I'll ever forget Madrid's luck in CL, sure I'll remember Ronaldo being mega clutch, but I'll also remember the tournament being ruined by backwards UEFA
Also note that we arent typical football fans. We are people who spend hours a week on a football forum of an Italian club which is not the usual at all. The average football fan wont remember all the deets we do.

All I am saying is that we have a recentism bias and a stronger memory and attention to details than the average football fan.

Apr 29, 2006
Dude Maradona famously won a world cup with his hand. We just don't remember these small things in the past and eventually we will forget this too and only the fact that Madrid won 3 back to back CL will be remembered...
Not only the match, but I can tell you the nationality of the side official. And I can guarantee he wasn't dazzled by Maradona.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009

Also note that we arent typical football fans. We are people who spend hours a week on a football forum of an Italian club which is not the usual at all. The average football fan wont remember all the deets we do.

All I am saying is that we have a recentism bias and a stronger memory and attention to details than the average football fan. Its unlikely that refs didnt make as many mistakes in the past.

Negan

Apr 11, 2018
Over both legs I counted 5 penalties not given for Bayern, 4 are pretty much stonewall 1 is debatable maybe 50/50, count the numerous dives Real took and not being booked for any

Juve game stonewall penalty on Cuadrado not given, a much more difficult penalty to give right before Extra time and the ref gives the much more difficult penalty to Real Madrid

Add up all the dives they took and not one booking given and Dybala is booked for his first dive and eventually sent off for another yellow afterwards, I have never seen any team get close to even half the decisions Real have got in the CL. Yes they are a good team but not good enough to win 2 CL in a row never mind 3

Apr 29, 2006
I hope Roma wins it somehow, but I can't stomach any of the other winners. Noting personal against this Liverpool(nevermind our history), but I simply cannot stomach the EPL hype train that will follow. Spain winning it again is another big NO.

Actually if Roma loses today I might stop watching CL for the year.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017

Is this true look at the audacity of these players

Negan

Apr 11, 2018
Is this true look at the audacity of these players
Yeah I don't see how he can say "they've let us down many times" with a straight face if anything the refs are always there for them when they need it, fair play to him for admitting it and not lying about it

Mar 10, 2009
I hope Roma wins it somehow, but I can't stomach any of the other winners. Noting personal against this Liverpool(nevermind our history), but I simply cannot stomach the EPL hype train that will follow. Spain winning it again is another big NO.

Actually if Roma loses today I might stop watching CL for the year.
In order of worsr case scenarios for me

1 Galactico final.
2. Epl final
3. Real Madrid vs EPL team.

So its number 3 on my list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)