Champions League 2017/2018 (6 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I don't think they got any favours last night though
- bayern not getting a penalty for that obvious foul on lewandowski
- ronaldo not getting booked for deliberate handball (i won't even mention his usual dives)
- casemiro getting away once again with a couple of yellow worthy fouls

just an other day in the office for a random ref.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Guys, had a thought. Tides change fast in football, sure it might look hopeless right now, as in Real already have almost 13 CLs, Milan who haven't been relevant for years has 5 more CLs than us.
It might seem we're cursed and so on, but consider that we will live at least 30 more years, that's 30 more seasons, I refuse to believe that a club like Juve won't have at least 3 CL wins in that time and dunno about you but that would be more than enough for me, I will not stop watching CL, I will absorb the bad years so the much-awaited desperate win feels that much better, I will be hopeful and optimistic, VAR is coming, Fino alla fuckin fine boys!

PS we will always have Italy to dominate.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I think they are a bit weaker in every area, except maybe attack. Even Navas looks like he's lost some from years past.
The lineup is the same bar the few new integrations that Zidane is introducing gradually, which in my opinion he is doing a fantastic job with. Ascensio, Vazques etc

The only thing that can be said about the squad is that it has aged one year

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
BTW if EPL wants to dominate they need to get rid of the League Cup ASAP.

Another point I would like to make: it might be better that if we don't win CL then Real keeps winning it, we might not ever become the best club ever, but we can shoot for 2nd best at some point.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
yeah, I kind of disagree about Robben as well :D I don't think that the guys with a strong suit (like Robbens killer of a left foot) are necessarily one trick ponies, they just use their strong suit more often than other options, if given the chance. same with Pool, they're built to press and play high paced game and they'll use it whenever they can, but of course they can adjust and do something else when the opponent doesn't want to play ball f.e.
they wouldn't be in 3rd place in CL if they couldn't do that. and Dortmund for sure wouldn't have had 2 Bundesliga titles if Klopp didn't know how to adjust his game plan to face bigger sides, smaller sides, more physical sides etc.

- - - Updated - - -

so basically only Allegri, Heynckes, Pep and Zidane are top coaches? am I forgetting someone?
Thats where I disagree, I think if you can do something very well and its effective, you don't have to adapt to your opponents. At least not to a large enough extent where it becomes a fundamental change to your playing style. I don't recall seeing any of Klopps teams sit back and defend for example.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Thats where I disagree, I think if you can do something very well and its effective, you don't have to adapt to your opponents. At least not to a large enough extent where it becomes a fundamental change to your playing style. I don't recall seeing any of Klopps teams sit back and defend for example.
yeah, but that doesn't mean they approach City in the exact same way they'd approach Bournemouth, they can't rely on the small teams giving them space

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
BTW if EPL wants to dominate they need to get rid of the League Cup ASAP.

Another point I would like to make: it might be better that if we don't win CL then Real keeps winning it, we might not ever become the best club ever, but we can shoot for 2nd best at some point.
Wow, seems like a dream.

Wysłane z mojego FRD-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
- bayern not getting a penalty for that obvious foul on lewandowski
- ronaldo not getting booked for deliberate handball (i won't even mention his usual dives)
- casemiro getting away once again with a couple of yellow worthy fouls

just an other day in the office for a random ref.
Lol you're talking like these are some stone wall incidents like as if it would have changed the course of the tie. Btw these are the kind of lists half of Serie A team's fans would make when they play us because they fish for the tiniest of excuses when they lose. You're clutching at straws at all those points.

Truth of the matter is Bayern were wasteful and bottled a lot of chances. It had nothing to do with ref favouring Madrid or whatever.

Big teams get favoured everywhere. Bayern when they won CL benefited from a lot if ref favours. Barca in their prime was pretty obvious. It's no different with Madrid when they started winning in Europe in 2014. It's just the nature of the game. Perhaps we need to win a CL or two to get some ref decisions go our way. Let's not be hypocrites and leave it to Napoli/Inter fans for having this petty mentality and crying conspiracy over refs.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Pep did, and so did the entire league when Klopps Dortmund turned into a relegation struggler for months, cause the enire league figured out how to play against him and Klopp couldn't find an answer to it, and eventually ended up finishing 7th (47:42 goal difference, 46 points) With what clearly was the 2nd best team in the league.

You don't play against Klopp sides. You let them play, just like Pep did once or twice. He Set up with a back 5 (343/523) and gave them the ball, watching Jürgen scratch his head and continue the same approach for 90 minutes, cause he can't adapt to save his life. It's just that Pep seems to be too proud to give possession to the other team, otherwise i see no reason why he wouldn't make use of that successful tactic again.
Klopp had a terrible season that year, but thats all that is, a bad season for an otherwise brilliant manager. All managers have bad seasons, even the very best.

As for the second part, I actually agree with you that everyone knows how Klopps teams are going to play, I also agree that he either can't or at the very least won't adapt his style of play, you obviously have known him longer than me, so it seems like he's always been playing the same style of football. Where we disagree though is how easy it is to stop it, if it were easy to stop his teams when you know how to play, he wouldn't have won two bundesliga titles and reached two CL finals with teams that are not considered usual contenders.

In terms of tactical flexibility, I think its a tradeoff sometimes. Klopp has coached teams that are not expected to win their league titles or reach CL finals, in order to do those things he has to overachieve. I think what he does is drill his teams to play a specific way, they work on it all the time and do nothing else to the point they become masters at high pressing, and playing quick attacking football. Look at his starting 11 at Pool, there are some names in there that are really average, but as a collective they've become so good at playing Klopps style. Of course to reach that level of specialization and get his team to play as a collective better than the sum of their parts, he's had to sacrifice things like tactical flexibility and having a strong organized defense.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, but that doesn't mean they approach City in the exact same way they'd approach Bournemouth, they can't rely on the small teams giving them space
Maybe not, but he never effects a fundamental change to his style of football.

Liverpool will always play a high line, press high up the pitch in numbers, and when they have the ball play quick football, they'll always set up with a 4-3-3. You won't ever see them change that style fundamentally or change their tactical shape. Whearas other managers who are considered more tactically flexible like Mourinho for example, may change his style of play in a certain match based on the opponent. He'd do things like put in an extra midfielder to man mark a specific player, he'd change his teams shape and play with a 3 at the back if needed, he'd play defensive football, counter attacking football or sometimes (like the game against Pool) classic British route one football.

Mourinho, Allegri and Zidane I would consider tactically flexible managers; Klopp not so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)