Champions League 2017/2018 (6 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
if he was a one trick pony and never changed anything, majority of coaches should be able to win against him, no? I mean you know what he is going to do weeks before you meet him, Pool often fields very questionable players that are obvious weak spots, shouldn't the other guys be able to exploit it? obviously Klopp knows a bit more about football than his haters would like to admit

- - - Updated - - -

How come, on what parameters Serie A > Bundesliga? Because if its not, winning 2 times as a big underdog shouldn't be seen inferior to winning 4 times as a big favorite, no?
A league with Juventus, Roma and Napoli is stronger than a league with Bayern and.. well, Bayern. Not to mention there's also Milan and Inter which are bound to recover at some point.

Buy on AliExpress.com

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
A league with Juventus, Roma and Napoli is stronger than a league with Bayern and.. well, Bayern. Not to mention there's also Milan and Inter which are bound to recover at some point.
If we're talking this season or the last one, probably yeah, Serie A has slightly superior 2nd and 3rd team. If we're talking the past decade, when Klopp actually was in the Bundesliga, I don't see it, the European results are very similar for both leagues.

May 23, 2013
When Klopp was winning the Bundesliga it was definitely stronger than Serie A. It was around this time that Bundesliga actually a CL spot from Serie A lol

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Unfortunately Bundesliga is just Bundesliga. It's not La Liga, it's not the Premier League, it's not even Serie A. You basically have one opponent, who are going to lose a title once every 5 or 6 years. It's an achievement, definitely, but it doesn't quite rank him among the greatest managers alive.

If you compare him with Allegri for example, the latter has had a far more impressive career.
You know I'd take that argument if it was just one league title, in fact it would be a very valid argument, but he won two back to back bundesliga titles. Also, no matter what you think about the Bundesliga, you still have to beat Bayern over a 34 game season to win it, that in itself is a massive achievement.

I don't think its fair to compare him to Allegri, he hasn't had the chance to manage a team like Juventus. I think its a very different kind of challenge though, when you coach a team that is expected to win, so I don't know how Klopp would do in those kind of settings, but until then its difficult to compare them.

In Klopps defense though I will say that if he reaches the CL final this season, he'll have reached two CL finals, just like Allegri.

if he was a one trick pony and never changed anything, majority of coaches should be able to win against him, no? I mean you know what he is going to do weeks before you meet him, Pool often fields very questionable players that are obvious weak spots, shouldn't the other guys be able to exploit it? obviously Klopp knows a bit more about football than his haters would like to admit

- - - Updated - - -

How come, on what parameters Serie A > Bundesliga? Because if its not, winning 2 times as a big underdog shouldn't be seen inferior to winning 4 times as a big favorite, no?
Not necessarily. Thats what I'm trying to argue. Everyone knows how Klopps teams are going to play, it doesn't mean you'll know how to stop it though. Thats why tactical flexibility IMO is a vastly overrated trait when it comes to managers. Pep knows how Klopp is going to play everytime, Pep is also a coach that has a brilliant record against a lot of very good managers, yet even he hasn't been able to come up with a way to consistently counter Klopps teams even when the latter's teams have been mostly inferior.

Even in football, when Robben has the ball on the right wing, most of the time you know exactly what he's going to do, he's one of the most predictable players ever. It doesn't mean you can stop him though, as many fullbacks have found out.

In all cases, we can debate this until we're blue in the face, but at the end of the day whether he's a one trick pony or not, the one thing we can't deny, is that he has overachieved with Dortmund and he looks like he's going to do the same with Pool regardless of what his strengthes and weaknesses are as a coach.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't think its fair to compare him to Allegri, he hasn't had the chance to manage a team like Juventus.
That's true, but I think you can only be called a great manager if you have demonstrated that you are able to coach a massive club. As far as I'm concerned Klopp is a very talented and very promising manager. He'll either have to coach Madrid, Juventus or Bayern to be considered one of the best managers in the world or he'll have to turn Liverpool into a title and CL contender year in year out.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
That's true, but I think you can only be called a great manager if you have demonstrated that you are able to coach a massive club. As far as I'm concerned Klopp is a very talented and very promising manager. He'll either have to coach Madrid, Juventus or Bayern to be considered one of the best managers in the world or he'll have to turn Liverpool into a title and CL contender year in year out.
But in the case of Zidanes and Guardiolas people call them checkbook managers.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Regular fan. From Ireland too, apparently.
They're cowards.

In regards to Klopp, he has a style of play and lives and dies by it. He's landed on his feet with their CL draw/run and Salah in god-like form, but also deserves credit because ultra direct and attacking football can work really well for you in this competition, and it's not just Salah but the front four and supporting players.

The're still going to concede goals as they don't concentrate on team defending, but really it now they are in the final and again he'll treat it like a shoot-out, they can't play another way.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But in the case of Zidanes and Guardiolas people call them checkbook managers.
Yes. People are often dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Two Roma fans have been arrested.

I can see even more stabbed Liverpudlians in Rome next week ::lol3::

English fans seem to have a habit of getting in trouble. It's funny, because somehow it's never their fault.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
English fans seem to have a habit of getting in trouble. It's funny, because somehow it's never their fault.
Sometimes it is, sometimes fans from other countries think their reputation precedes them and they fight any English person in sight, a bit like when 10 Spurs fans playing pool got massacred by 200 Roma fans piling into a bar.

I do know something though, it's never Liverpool fan's fault.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sometimes it is, sometimes fans from other countries think their reputation precedes them and they fight any English person in sight, a bit like when 10 Spurs fans playing pool got massacred by 200 Roma fans piling into a bar.

I do know something though, it's never Liverpool fan's fault.

Oh, I am not saying it's never the other team's fans that are at fault. But the way the (English) media report these cases is ridiculous to say the least.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
You know I'd take that argument if it was just one league title, in fact it would be a very valid argument, but he won two back to back bundesliga titles. Also, no matter what you think about the Bundesliga, you still have to beat Bayern over a 34 game season to win it, that in itself is a massive achievement.

I don't think its fair to compare him to Allegri, he hasn't had the chance to manage a team like Juventus. I think its a very different kind of challenge though, when you coach a team that is expected to win, so I don't know how Klopp would do in those kind of settings, but until then its difficult to compare them.

In Klopps defense though I will say that if he reaches the CL final this season, he'll have reached two CL finals, just like Allegri.

Not necessarily. Thats what I'm trying to argue. Everyone knows how Klopps teams are going to play, it doesn't mean you'll know how to stop it though. Thats why tactical flexibility IMO is a vastly overrated trait when it comes to managers. Pep knows how Klopp is going to play everytime, Pep is also a coach that has a brilliant record against a lot of very good managers, yet even he hasn't been able to come up with a way to consistently counter Klopps teams even when the latter's teams have been mostly inferior.

Even in football, when Robben has the ball on the right wing, most of the time you know exactly what he's going to do, he's one of the most predictable players ever. It doesn't mean you can stop him though, as many fullbacks have found out.

In all cases, we can debate this until we're blue in the face, but at the end of the day whether he's a one trick pony or not, the one thing we can't deny, is that he has overachieved with Dortmund and he looks like he's going to do the same with Pool regardless of what his strengthes and weaknesses are as a coach.
yeah, I kind of disagree about Robben as well :D I don't think that the guys with a strong suit (like Robbens killer of a left foot) are necessarily one trick ponies, they just use their strong suit more often than other options, if given the chance. same with Pool, they're built to press and play high paced game and they'll use it whenever they can, but of course they can adjust and do something else when the opponent doesn't want to play ball f.e.
they wouldn't be in 3rd place in CL if they couldn't do that. and Dortmund for sure wouldn't have had 2 Bundesliga titles if Klopp didn't know how to adjust his game plan to face bigger sides, smaller sides, more physical sides etc.

- - - Updated - - -

so basically only Allegri, Heynckes, Pep and Zidane are top coaches? am I forgetting someone?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
nah overall, who are the top coaches in your opinion, those 4? that's a small list, especially with Heynckes retiring

Allegri (regardless of whether the magic between him and Juve is gone, he is an incredible manager), Zidane (it's too many trophies and it's not just Ronaldo, the dude is fearless), Sarri (anyone who can make Napoli into a machine deserves credit, but I do not think he should come anywhere near Juventus) and Simeone (if you win La Liga with Atletico Madrid and you reach two CL finals, that speaks volumes).

Out of those four I think Allegri is probably the most intelligent manager tactically, while Simeone instills fire in his players.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Allegri (regardless of whether the magic between him and Juve is gone, he is an incredible manager), Zidane (it's too many trophies and it's not just Ronaldo, the dude is fearless), Sarri (anyone who can make Napoli into a machine deserves credit, but I do not think he should come anywhere near Juventus) and Simeone (if you win La Liga with Atletico Madrid and you reach two CL finals, that speaks volumes).

Out of those four I think Allegri is probably the most intelligent manager tactically, while Simeone instills fire in his players.
yeah, strange that there's no Klopp there, him, Simeone and Sarri are very similar in a way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)