Cash boost required to save Juventus (3 Viewers)

Batigol

Mar 5, 2006
Cash boost required to save Juventus

July 17, 2006
ROME (Ticker) - Juventus is heading for "financial meltdown" unless it receives a huge cash injection from private investors over the next two or three years, according to a soccer finance expert.

The Turin club on Friday was ordered by a sports court in Rome to play in Serie B next season, after being exposed as having a central involvement in arguably the biggest corruption case in Italian soccer history.

It is questionable whether Juventus - which also has been stripped of its league titles in 2005 and this year - will escape another relegation at the end of next season, as it will kick off the new campaign with a 30-point deduction.

Fiorentina and Lazio also have been relegated to Serie B and will start next season with 12- and seven-point deficits, respectively.

AC Milan will start the 2006-07 campaign in Serie A with a 15-point deficit and has had 44 points deducted from its total last season - meaning it won't compete in the lucrative Champions League.

Of the four clubs, Juventus certainly has been hit the hardest, and relegation will take a severe toll on the club's finances.

"Around 80 percent of Juventus' revenue is from sponsorship and television rights deals, and I would expect the vast majority of that to disappear," Stuart Whitwell, a joint managing director of brand consultancy Intangible Business, told PA Sport's Football Insider.

"There is a triple hit, really. Juventus can expect a loss of at least 50 percent of its income overnight. Under the circumstances sponsors could drop out, and I expect many to do so. There will also be a major loss of players, and thirdly the image of the club is tarnished."

Whitwell believes there is a decent chance the club may go bankrupt.

"Unless there is private investment from the Agnelli family (who own the club) or another source, Juventus will go out of business. They could suffer financial meltdown," he said. "I think Juventus will need private investments of around 125 million euros ($158 million) a year for perhaps the next two or three years to keep going. Juventus' ticket revenue is incredibly small for a club of its size and many sponsors will not want to be associated with the club. With the loss of income, Juventus will not be able to command a premium.

"I do think the Juve image will recover over time, because of the history of the club. Juve does have a bit of magic about it, and I expect that to help carry it through, but it will take years."

It remains to be seen whether Libyan company Tamoil will pull out of its current partnership with Juventus, which is reportedly worth around 21 million euros ($26.5 million) per year. The agreement represents the most lucrative shirt sponsorship deal in world soccer.

Although Juventus has around 15 million fans in Italy alone, the club's local support has dwindled in recent years as supporters have become reluctant to visit the unpopular Stadio Delle Alpi.

Juve attracted average crowds of just 26,390 to its 67,000-capacity home last season, and plans to move to a new ground will be put on hold until the club's finances are stabilized.

Despite the lack of substantial gate revenue, the Agnelli family, which also owns car manufacturer Fiat, has been able to establish Juventus as one of the most financially stable clubs in Italy for several years.

The value and status of the club also has been supported by the presence of top internationals in the squad, but following the announcement the likes of goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, midfielders Pavel Nedved and Patrick Vieira and striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic all could leave.

"They have been kings but now they are going to be paupers for a while," Whitwell added. "Many of the players will not want to play in the lower divisions, and will ask to leave, and even if players want to stay, the club might not be able to afford to keep them on their contracts.

"The club is not going to be able to afford to keep the high-earning players, so there will be some cut-price deals on the transfer market. It's difficult to say what sort of decrease in player value we are talking about, but it could be 50 percent and it could be as much as 75 percent."

All four clubs will appeal, but the hearings will have to take place before July 25 - UEFA's deadline for receiving the list of teams ready to participate in its competitions next season.

i would chip in for juve, i hope other people pay money.

Buy on AliExpress.com

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
dont think that would be enough, its not abt just one cash injection, the club needs injections over at least three years.

The good thing is that thats speculation is that if the team doesnt make it back to serie A in the first season.So i think an important thing is that we get some players to help us ensure instant promotion back to serie A.Also the lawyers will need to work extra hard to get us anything from the appeal

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I don't believe Juventus are in that mad of a financial situation...This makes it seem like Juve need to sell ALL their players and start from nihil...

Our directors already stated that Finance is the not the most important thing which means that they aren't really pushed to sell right now...and the way that Juve have sounded in the press, it really seems like Juve's financial situation will be able to hold itself together once those large contracts are sold or evaluated...

Sep 14, 2003
No, I think the name is too strong and the fan base too great for there to be any serious threat. Still, there will be strong finacial management needed.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
typical media. Juventus will live on. They totally ignore the big fanbase, larger than most clubs in serie a. Thats a huge deal, and will reap benefits over the long run. As the article states, Juventus r known for financial stability. The situation will cause Juve to adapt, but the financial discpline/genius of Juve will live on.

Our board of directors r qualified, we r owned by the largest coorporation in Italy, and we r the most successful team in Italy. Juventus will not fold.

Sicilian Juve

May 17, 2006
sateeh said:
dont think that would be enough, its not abt just one cash injection, the club needs injections over at least three years.

The good thing is that thats speculation is that if the team doesnt make it back to serie A in the first season.So i think an important thing is that we get some players to help us ensure instant promotion back to serie A.Also the lawyers will need to work extra hard to get us anything from the appeal
We need to get the 30 points reduced. I agree. My biggest concern is with the 30 points deduction, we could wind up in serie c next year. They have got to get some points back in this appeal

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well, the first thing they are going to need to do is lower those ticket prices. They are absolutely ridiculous, considering that the farthest seat out is closer to Milan than Torino.

Now, with the lack of a lucrative TV contract, supporters may have no choice but to actually attend the games.

Let's not kid ourselves. Its going to be a financial struggle for Juve for the next coupel of years, which is why even if all of these stars decided to stay, Juve could quite possibly not be able to afford them.

Sell them off to the highest bidder, and build up the coffers so that there is a significant war chest for when the time comes that they are promoted again.

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
I agree,this is very hard situations we have here,and if we don't get back in serie A in one year,I think that the problem will be notorious.

So,our only chance is to transform somehow our -30points with that appeal.

We were hit very heavily,but with great efforts we can hit back next year.

We will lost the most of our stars,that is for sure ,but who knows which player(from our youngsters) will show the capacity and rise into a new star.We never know that,and we shall wait and see.

Forza Juve!

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
If Juve were that deep in trouble, because of it's tradition(no, not the scandals) I'm certain that some Russian billionaire will make an offer they can't refuse and everything will be ok. We're talking about Juve here, the team of Italy, not a mid table squad.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Lets not make the mistake of taking finances for granted here. Fiorentina, Parma and Lazio have made that mistake and paid dearly.

A mass exodus of our biggest stars is to be expected, no club in the world can afford to pay an 8/9-figure salary to its staff every year in the second division and the money from transfers would, at the least, rebuild the financial cushion we've come to rely on under Giraudo. That said Juventus is too significant a name for a possible bankruptcy, the club itself remains a viable long-term business. All we need to do is make sure we have our feet underneath us before we begin the climb back up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)