Carlos Tevez (9 Viewers)

Rockets

Jul 26, 2022
Carlos Tevez orders three players back to school after failing simple maths question

Carlos Tevez has sent his Independiente players back to school after discovering that some of them couldn't answer simple maths questions.

Tevez, 39, who has seen his team storm clear of the relegation zone in his first few weeks as coach of the Argentine club, was shocked when he asked his squad to add two plus two as part of a training ground exercise to discover how they coped under pressure.

Three of his young players failed to give the correct answer - promoting the former West Ham, Manchester United and Manchester City striker to tell club bosses that they had a duty of care to ensure their footballers have a basic education.

Independiente responded by arranging classes, with players expected to attend for two hours every day after training until they achieve a certain academic standard in reading, writing and arithmetic. Tevez grew up in Fuerte Apache, one of the poorest barrios in the capital city of Buenos Aires.

It has been estimated that up to 50 percent of the population of Argentina live in poverty - and Tevez explained that players had to learn to read contracts if they were to avoid being ripped off by unscrupulous clubs and agents.

Tevez explained: “We do speed exercises in training that have a neuroscience element to them. When a player is physically drained, I ask him to solve a problem.

“I did an experiment by asking our players to solve simple addition and subtraction problems under physical stress.

“At the end of one intensive exercise, I asked them to tell me the answer to two plus two - and three of the kids didn’t know how to add or subtract. These are players from the first division!

“This is the definition of poverty. We can give people food and material help, but it is only through study that you can truly emerge from poverty.

“To live with dignity it is essential to study, know how to read and know what paperwork you are signing. This is the only way for these kids to defend themselves.

“We have now put together a project with the club to give them a teacher and the working space to do two hours of study after training so that they can fill the gaps in their education.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
every time he gets quoted i have the impression that tevez is a wonderful human being. i really hope he has a successful coaching career, and maybe some day he'll leave south america a bit... :xfingers:

Dude grew up with nothing, some people turn into douchebags once they have money (Looking at you, Neymar)he doesn’t seem to be one of them. Rooting for him too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)