Carlos Tevez (8 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
We're talking about 6 games in a relatively easy group. Even if our team underperformed as a whole, we were a point short from qualifying. A goal short. A goal that our star player failed to provide, by scoring it or assisting it. Chiellini is easily the worst player of this CL campaign and the reason why we conceded so much, but when some dumbass in Madrid or Galata made a mistake, they could count on Ronaldo or Drogba to fix things. We couldn't count on our star player. We couldn't count at all.
Tevez played like a beast in Serie A. In many matches he simply proved how he's far better than most of our players. Teams knowing that can try to shut him down, he usually has two or three players around him in order to close him down as much as possible. He's providing tons of space for other players. I know what you're saying, but I won't blame Tevez even 10% for what happened to us in the CL. It was a team as a whole that played like bunch of pussies in almost all our matches. It was a period under Del Neri when our players had almost zero motivation. We failed in defense way, way too much. It's what killed us. Barzagli is not showing what a beast he was, players usually run towards Chiellini and make him look like a clown while Bonucci had many brainfarts. Our midfield also disappeared many times. You can't expect Tevez who's a new player here to pick up the ball and go run and score 3 goals because our defense is going to fuck up at least 2 times.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
if we are going strictly by stats to define contribution, then a player like marchisio should be sent to a gulag
True, I can agree to that. Absolutely.

But, as much as I love Tevez, he had a weak CL so why can't he share part of the blame? Not placing ALL the blame on him, however, "sharing" the blame I think is indeed fair when he is supposed to be our strongest attacking player.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Or maybe the expectations were too high, so I'm being harsh just because I expected much more than what I got from Tevez.

I'm well aware that with our style of play, Ronaldo and Messi playing together in our attack wouldn't have won the CL with this Juve. Conte's Juve just won't cut it in Europe. We don't have wingers or attacking midfielders, and we move the ball way too slow. In Europe that doesn't work for like a decade. But a star support striker would have at least taken us to the knockouts from this group.

OP
ZoSo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
  • Thread Starter #4,026
    So has Milan Baros and a whole host of other shit players.

Tevez is certainly better than him, but if we're going to use the 'They won the CL' argument to oppose the idea that they are CL flops, we must surely recognise the likes of Milan Baros to be better than the likes of Ibra in the CL.

Because being on the winning team despite barely scoring or even failing to score at all makes you a CL legend as opposed to banging in 10 goals per tournament for a lesser team.

Tevez, as an individual, has been nothing short of a flop in the CL.

Cover it up any way you want but our new number 10 couldn't get a single goal OR assist after 6 games against a team who were at the time nearly bottom of a terrible league, a Turkish team who played in our home stadium for the first time with Mancini, and a Spanish side who have vast attacking quality, but complete and utter donkeys in defence.
    he did create many chances, the home real game he made like 2 or 3 really really good chances that were missed by other players

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    You can't expect Tevez who's a new player here to pick up the ball and go run and score 3 goals because our defense is going to fuck up at least 2 times.
    Not that much, but it's normal to expect from your star player to do more than the others. Score a free kick when nothing works, win a free kick close to the box, win a penalty. Take the ball in the final third and create something out of nothing, at least once or twice in 6 matches. Or, at least, convert some of your 100% chances.
    We really got nothing of the sort. In a way, his presence harmed us, which isn't his fault, but it did.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
    Jan 26, 2009
    I think he could've won a penalty in the 1st half (those 15 minutes). When he had that chance in the box, I was thinking he should cut to the inside and then perhaps the Gala defender would've fouled him, resulting in a penalty. Instead he took one too many touches and tried to shoot from a very tight/narrow angle after the defender had knocked him off his stride.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
    Oct 2, 2013
    Yeah if Tevez is what eventually holds us back from changing formation, then he wasn't a particularly good signing. Because he's not good enough to build a team around, not at this level

but some Tevez fanboys will read this post like

'Tevez.....bad signing.'

:lol:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Yeah if Tevez is what eventually holds us back from changing formation, then he wasn't a particularly good signing. Because he's not good enough to build a team around, not at this level
    He's not holding us back from changing formations. If Vucinic and Giovinco can play in 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-1-2, so can Tevez. He'd fit in every formation, so my critics towards him are due to what he didn't do, not due to what we couldn't do because of him.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    I didn't expect magic from Tevez in CL but I must say I'm bit disappointed, he had plenty of chances to score in the previous 5 matches but didn't manage for I don't know what reasons because the man is really talented. And like Alen said, Tevez wasn't brought for Seria a to begin with.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
    Oct 2, 2013
    Well i'm also disappointed with Tevez completely.

We had Serie A on lock down with Matri ffs. We didn't need him for serie A. But ironically, he's awful in Europe (In terms of making the difference, before some fuck points out his workrate) and really he's not going to take us any further.

Same with Llorente really. And it drives me insane when I see people laugh off the idea of changing formations because 'Tevez and Llorente couldn't play together in other formations'

So what? They're really nothing special and not even close to being good enough to build our teams around

If Tevez must be sold/played out of position next year then so be it

If Llorente doesn't fit, and must be sold. So f*cking be it

Sick of us holding on to dead weight and watching fellow Juve fans getting all sentimental because they grow accustomed to seeing them on the bench. Not implying that Tevez or Llorente are dead weight obviously. But my point is, let's not refuse to shake the team up because some decent players might get left out.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
    May 22, 2009
    if we are going strictly by stats to define contribution, then a player like marchisio should be sent to a gulag
    Marchisio who, incidentally, didn't play a single minute in the 2 games where it all went wrong :D

Not that much, but it's normal to expect from your star player to do more than the others. Score a free kick when nothing works, win a free kick close to the box, win a penalty. Take the ball in the final third and create something out of nothing, at least once or twice in 6 matches. Or, at least, convert some of your 100% chances.
    We really got nothing of the sort. In a way, his presence harmed us, which isn't his fault, but it did.
    :tup:

Of course you expect more from your star player.

I must have read it hundreds of times last summer. "We don't need Tevez for Serie A, but he's the player who'll give us the edge in Europe." Quite the opposite, sadly.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
    Oct 2, 2013
    I was and still am happy that we signed Tevez. Because watching Matri was driving me insane

But anybody who knew a bit about Tevez could have told everybody that he was not the man to lead us to CL glory/comeptitiveness

He would have been great for the CL as a complimentary strike partner playing next to a real goal-machine like Cavani. But bringing him in to lead the line in Europe along with Llorente was never really going to help us that much. Although the names are different, the problem remains the same. Our attackers in Europe are still a level below the strikers playing for the teams we're aiming to compete with.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
    May 22, 2009
    I was and still am happy that we signed Tevez. Because watching Matri was driving me insane

But anybody who knew a bit about Tevez could have told everybody that he was not the man to lead us to CL glory/comeptitiveness

He would have been great for the CL as a complimentary strike partner playing next to a real goal-machine like Cavani. But bringing him in to lead the line in Europe along with Llorente was never really going to help us that much. Although the names are different, the problem remains the same. Our attackers in Europe are still a level below the strikers playing for the teams we're aiming to compete with.
    What you're saying, essentially, is that we're paying big bucks for players we don't need. Which means that, given our financial situation, we have taken 2 steps back rather than 1 step forward.

I'm not sure of that. But if I was, I definitely wouldn't be happy we signed them in the 1st place.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
    Oct 2, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, we improved our strike force whilst actually making money (Wages have increased ofcourse)

It was good business. But if anybody - including Juve - was expecting the new duo of Tevez and Llorente to give us a new edge in European football, they were sadly mistaken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)