Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (208 Viewers)

Jul 1, 2010
quetza has been defending chiello for the longest time, but what he said is unfortunately true. Dudes past it, nowhere near WC, and hes just unreliable in the back.
Agreed.

We need an upgrade but I can't see who we could get. Ogbonna has been poor and I doubt we could get someone better than Chiellini on the market with the little money we have.

Rugani shows promise but we have to let him play a full season in Serie A with Empoli to see if he's good enough to play for our first team.

Jan 5, 2011
Chiellini is not a WC defender anymore. He is aggressive, strong on 1 vs 1 but many times he was in the wrong position to defense. And his running with the ball is just below par. He is good to defense tall, strong forward but definitely can not defense against quick and dribble ones. He is good enough to play in Serie a but we need another Barzagli for CL.

And @Quetzalcoatl can you unbanned me from Marchisio thread, I want to show my condolence to the future captain of Juventus and Italy...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Even my colleagues at work, folks that make posters here look like Paddy Agnew, said tha Chiellini's okay acting the entire game was absurd. It truly is embarrassing as a Juve fan as well, he's a poor sportsman just like Busquets.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Chiellini is surely declining but there are still not many CBs around that are better than him as pure defenders.

His two big problems are ball playing and back post coverage.

In a 3 CB system, he's going to find himself with much more of the ball because he's going to be left with space that he feels inclined to take and any CB really should take it. Except him.

I still don't believe there are many duos better than Barzagli-Chiellini in a 4 man back line. They are both throw back CBs that have incredible instincts and courage in their own box.

Most CBs nowadays seem more like converted DMs but that's the way the game is going as teams defend with 11 men and as a complete unit. CBs are almost never exposed.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Tackling, or attempting to put in a tackle but not being succesful and as a result taking your opponent down, is part of the game. Your intentions are either to get to the ball, or in worst case scenario, to stop your guy from geting into a good position, deliberately making a faul and you will get sanctioned for that, deservedly and on the pitch; but what Suarez did simply shouldn't find its way on any of the sports venues. Biting opponent, kind of nasty habbit of his as a way to release frustrations, needs to be punished and the punishment should to be a hefty one; half a year suspension from all competitions, setting an example and showing the likes of Suarez that nibbling on your adversaries won't be tolerated any longer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 202)