Can you imagine moving to a smaller town (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
We've touched this subject a little in the "Green card" thread.

The background is that I come from Stockholm a town with about a million citizens. I moved to Uppsala with maybe 100.000 inhabitants and with much less activities and possibilites. I've realized that I could in the future I could in no way live in a town smaller than Stockholm but I wouldn't mind a bigger town.
This has had effects on my career choice. I initially wanted to become a doctor but when it became clear to me that it was almost impossible to get an interesting position in Stockholm I lost my interest.

I have a theory that the vast majority feels the same which in the end will lead to that the big cities will become the only cities.

How do you feel? Could you move to a smaller town?

Buy on AliExpress.com

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
never.

small towns usually live up to 99% of all stereotypes that are told about them. they are non-progressive, slower way of life, void of growth or opportunities, closed minded, secular, ignorant, and usually extremely xenophobic. i agree with you that small towns will slowly become eradicated just by time passing by them and the youth of these small towns moving on.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Well, my case is scarily identical to yours.

I've practically been living in Stockholm all my life, and after the summer I'm moving to Uppsala for my university studies.

So to answer your question: I think I could, we'll have to see in a few months. Fortunately it takes less than an hour to travel between the places.

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #6
    Well, my case is scarily identical to yours.

I've practically been living in Stockholm all my life, and after the summer I'm moving to Uppsala for my university studies.

So to answer your question: I think I could, we'll have to see in a few months. Fortunately it takes less than an hour to travel between the places.

Interesting.

Uppsala is good when you are a student with all the nations and activities. WHen you leave studentlife you realize that you leave all you had there.

What are going to study?

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    I've moved to smaller towns before, and there was no sweat. Lagos to Abuja (Abuja's smaller than Lagos, though I ended up moving back to Lagos), now, Lagos to London. :D

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    In about 40 years time when ive retired from work,then yes,id prefer living in a small town with much less activity and a lot more peace of mind.Not now though,and it isnt because i dont like small towns,its because everything IS in the large towns.If i was given the choice of getting the same studying,living facilites and getting the same salary at work afterwards in BOTH a small and a big town,id choose a small town without thinking twice.Life in Big towns is extremley hectic and tiresome.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Depends who's around me. You can be the loneliest person in Tokio if you don't have right people around...
    That is bullshit.

Don't live in smaller towns, they will devastate you. Unless you are the slightly twisted type of human being who fits in in small towns.

I grew up in a tiny place, 6000 inhabitants, and it was awful. Places like that are naturally closed-off, and unless you fit in (surprise surprise, I didn't :D) you will be very lonely. And unlike being lonely in a big city (Elvin, write this down), in a small town you have NO options of meeting other people. There is very little to do, there are no theatres, cinemas, museums, pubs, clubs or whatever the hell it is you're into.

Meaning you're lonely, there are no other people to meet and you're surrounded by folk who would rather see you leave.

Small towns are for people who are afraid of the world. They like to stick to a small community where their way of thinking is the ONLY standard so they can feel safe and comfortable. The fact there is nothing to do in towns like that is something they take for granted.

Unless you are such a person, small towns will end you.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Meaning you're lonely, there are no other people to meet and you're surrounded by folk who would rather see you leave.
    Just like those British mini series in four parts that air at 3am in the morning, where a guy who lives in a tiny place like that is the outcast and after being humiliated finally loses it and kills his neighbor with a shovel, buries him in the basement. But then since everyone knows everyone else and word spreads like waves on the water, someone happens to suspect what happened, finds the body, reports it, more rumors and innuendo and finally the guy kills himself cause he can't take it anymore.

Could be Elvin in some tiny Japanese village in the mountains.

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    i moved from London to Malta! we only have 400,000 inhabitants, but here its like three big towns[centre, the north and the south]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)