Books you're reading (17 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
No. And yes.

I'm renovating my courtyard and it takes so much of my time it's incredible, despite of it being quite small. I had a trillion years old shed as well which got demolished so I'm pretty much working 8-10 hours every day for the past 2 weeks with 1 day off. My arms are pretty much destroyed, I can't even feel fingers :D So aye... When I finish it I usually go out with my friend for a couple of hours, go home & hit the bed. I feel sick of it already so I can't wait for it to finish so I can hit the books again. But on a positive note I'll finally be able to read outside & drink a coffee if I want to :p
:lol:

Sounds like a healthy experience overall. :p

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I'd like to see lists of top 5 fav books :donedeal:
Not top 5 but a few I liked:

The Picture of Dorian Gray
After Dark (also South of the Border, West of the Sun)
Labyrinths (Borges, the whole collection)
The Tunnel (I think you'll like it)
Siddhartha
The Dead (Joyce)
The Kite Runner
Little Prince (the Dusan I know probably thinks this is written by Coelho :D)
Namesake
Cosmicomics (Calvino, the whole thing)
Poor Folk (you must have read it :p)
In Search of Lost Time (7 volumes but you cannot get enough of it, and i'm sure you'll love it)

"The idea that one will die is more painful than dying, but less painful than the idea that another person is dead, that, becoming once more a still, plane surface after having engulfed a person, a reality extends, without even a ripple at the point of disappearance from which that person is excluded, in which there no longer exists any will, any knowledge, and from which it is as difficult to reascend to the idea that that person has lived as, from the still recent memory of his life, it is to think that he is comparable with the insubstantial images, the memories, left us by the characters in a novel we have been reading."

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Lots of new there for me.

As for Little Price part, lol, that's pure BS.. that's not what Dusan would say :D That book has more depth than all of Coelho's book which are nothing but a dogshit.

After Dark and The Tunnel have caught my attention. :p

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Not top 5 but a few I liked:

The Picture of Dorian Gray
After Dark (also South of the Border, West of the Sun)
Labyrinths (Borges, the whole collection)
The Tunnel (I think you'll like it)
Siddhartha
The Dead (Joyce)

The Kite Runner
Little Prince (the Dusan I know probably thinks this is written by Coelho :D)
Namesake
Cosmicomics (Calvino, the whole thing)
Poor Folk (you must have read it :p)

In Search of Lost Time (7 volumes but you cannot get enough of it, and i'm sure you'll love it)

"The idea that one will die is more painful than dying, but less painful than the idea that another person is dead, that, becoming once more a still, plane surface after having engulfed a person, a reality extends, without even a ripple at the point of disappearance from which that person is excluded, in which there no longer exists any will, any knowledge, and from which it is as difficult to reascend to the idea that that person has lived as, from the still recent memory of his life, it is to think that he is comparable with the insubstantial images, the memories, left us by the characters in a novel we have been reading."
:heart: Love these. Borges is my favourite short prose writer ever. Brilliant man.

Surprised to see The Tunnel. I assume you are talking about the novel by William H. Gass? Most people I know who picked it up, never finished it. They all hated it. It's such a fascinating book for me. One of the most beautifully disturbing things I've read... not in the sense of horror, but in that sense of "this too is what it is to be human." The banality of the monstrous. I loved it, top 10 book for me, for sure. @Dostoevsky

Have you read Péter Nádas' Parallel Stories... Reminds me of The Tunnel, in terms of beautifully disturbing. So very labyrinthine. Highly recommend it.

But I despise In Search of Lost Time . I was so desperate for it to end. The biggest exercise in reading perseverance in my entire life! I wanted to tear fragments out of it, and stitch them together into something more concise, which is strange for me, because I usually adore overlong works of literary fiction. :p

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
:heart: Love these. Borges is my favourite short prose writer ever. Brilliant man.

Surprised to see The Tunnel. I assume you are talking about the novel by William H. Gass? Most people I know who picked it up, never finished it. They all hated it. It's such a fascinating book for me. One of the most beautifully disturbing things I've read... not in the sense of horror, but in that sense of "this too is what it is to be human." The banality of the monstrous. I loved it, top 10 book for me, for sure. @Dostoevsky

Have you read Péter Nádas' Parallel Stories... Reminds me of The Tunnel, in terms of beautifully disturbing. So very labyrinthine. Highly recommend it.

But I despise In Search of Lost Time . I was so desperate for it to end. The biggest exercise in reading perseverance in my entire life! I wanted to tear fragments out of it, and stitch them together into something more concise, which is strange for me, because I usually adore overlong works of literary fiction. :p
Borges is my favorite everything :D

I'm talking about Sabato's El Tunel. It's (among other things) about jealousy (which is the most fascinating human vice imo :p). You should definitely read it.

Why do you hate in search of lost time? Those books are my shrines. I have read some in Farsi some in English, obviously not back to back. I know many people cannot put up with Proust's writing style but that's one of the things I absolutely love about him. If he were a scholarly writer he'd publish nowhere (unlike Hemingway lol :juventus:)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Borges is my favorite everything :D

I'm talking about Sabato's El Tunel. It's (among other things) about jealousy (which is the most fascinating human vice imo :p). You should definitely read it.

Why do you hate in search of lost time? Those books are my shrines. I have read some in Farsi some in English, obviously not back to back. I know many people cannot put up with Proust's writing style but that's one of the things I absolutely love about him. If he were a scholarly writer he'd publish nowhere (unlike Hemingway lol :juventus:)
Eep. Super late reply here. I read Sabato's El Tunel. Quite the "existential" treatment of jealousy and obsession. I liked it a lot. Thank you for the recommendation.

I'm a little jealous that you can appreciate Proust like that. I wish I could, I just can't bring myself to it. I'm more-so a fan of Joyce for the early modernists. I adore his work. Even the labyrinthine joke that is Finnegan's Wake, though Ulysses, Portrait, and Dubliners are my favourites. Stephen Dedalus is one of my favourite characters in all literature.

That'd be an interesting list... instead of authors or books... Top 5 characters? Top 10? @Dostoevsky @X

- - - Updated - - -
@DAiDEViL @igortudor

Have either of you read Arno Schmidt's Zettels Traum? I bought a copy recently as John Woods finally finished translating this behemoth. I had no idea how monstrous it really is. I saw 1500 pages and assumed normal sized pages. When the local bookshop ordered it in for me, and I picked it up, it was quite the shock to see it. It's ridiculous. Must be the longest single volume novel ever published. I'm excited to read it.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
That'd be an interesting list... instead of authors or books... Top 5 characters? Top 10? @Dostoevsky @X.
That's a very hard question. I'll name some because it'd take time to dig many other names that cross my mind.

Faust (Goethe)
Bazarov (Fathers and Sons)
Socrates (The Symposium)
Didi & Gogo (Waiting for Godot)
Alyosha (The Brothers Karamazov)
Leading char in Notes from Underground
Demian in Hesse's Demian

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
That's a very hard question. I'll name some because it'd take time to dig many other names that cross my mind.

Faust (Goethe)
Bazarov (Fathers and Sons)
Socrates (The Symposium)
Didi & Gogo (Waiting for Godot)
Alyosha (The Brothers Karamazov)
Leading char in Notes from Underground
Demian in Hesse's Demian
:tup: Good choices.

Pechorin from Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time
William Frederick Kohler from Gass' The Tunnel
György Korin from Krasznahorkai's War & War
Stephen Dedalus from Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Johan Ott from Jancar's The Galley Slave
Raskolnikov from Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment
Unnamed Writer from Nadas' Book of Memories
Kvachi Kvachantiradze from Javakhishvili's Kvachi
Werther from Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther
Captain Blicero from Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
"Code Complete".
Superficial and amateurish. The treatment of error handling is cringeworthy. "If there has been a buffer overflow it is no longer safe to run the error routine." wat

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:tup: Good choices.

Pechorin from Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time
William Frederick Kohler from Gass' The Tunnel
György Korin from Krasznahorkai's War & War
Stephen Dedalus from Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Johan Ott from Jancar's The Galley Slave
Raskolnikov from Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment
Unnamed Writer from Nadas' Book of Memories
Kvachi Kvachantiradze from Javakhishvili's Kvachi
Werther from Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther
Captain Blicero from Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow
A lot of unknown names for me here. :D But, if anything, I'm currently reading The Sorrows of Young Werther and I even wanted to put him here :D And it was quite tough ignoring A Hero of Our Time. It was a difficult question. I could write like 10 names from Dostoevsky's work and be done with it, but there are so many others too.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:tup:

Its split in parts where you are? It's one single book here..
A friend of mine borrowed me books. But yeah, I saw similar releases here in Belgrade, it's all separated in 3 books just like the movies. And when I think about it... I prefer it that way cause I really wouldn't like holding 1200 or so pages at once lol.

I just love the movie. I think I watched every part like 15+ times, even watched the making of 10+ hours which I found interesting. For some reason I've been postpoing Tolkien way too long. I wanna read all 3 and most likely I'll end up reading both The Silmarillion and The Children of Húrin. However I won't read one after another cause I've got some big names lined up waiting.

Jan 22, 2009
A friend of mine borrowed me books. But yeah, I saw similar releases here in Belgrade, it's all separated in 3 books just like the movies. And when I think about it... I prefer it that way cause I really wouldn't like holding 1200 or so pages at once lol.

I just love the movie. I think I watched every part like 15+ times, even watched the making of 10+ hours which I found interesting. For some reason I've been postpoing Tolkien way too long. I wanna read all 3 and most likely I'll end up reading both The Silmarillion and The Children of Húrin. However I won't read one after another cause I've got some big names lined up waiting.
I doubt it was 1200 pages but anyway, I just asked cuz I have never seen split chapters, maybe they are the new editions! If you like LOTR, Silmarillion will just blow you away :heart:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)