Blatter 'sorry' for Italy dive (1 Viewer)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
October 29, 2006

FIFA boss Sepp Blatter has apologised to Australia fans, saying the Socceroos should have played in the the World Cup quarter-final instead of eventual champion Italy.

Aussie fans were stunned on June 26 when a Spain referee awarded Italy a penalty against Lucas Neill in the dying moments of the round of 16 match.

Fans were disgusted at what appeared to be a dive by Italy's Fabio Grosso to win the spot-kick.

FIFA was accused of not addressing the problem of diving and faking injuries but in an interview with SBS, to be shown at 2pm today, Blatter said referees at this year's finals "were not at their best".

However, he said the antics of players was the real problem.

"I think there was too much cheating on the players' side," said said.

"I agree with them and I would like to apologise (to) our fans in Australia."

Neill welcomed Blatter's apology but said the situation is worsening.

"It's pleasing to see FIFA is at last acknowledging and paying more attention to the issue," he said.

Blatter heaped praised on the Socceroos.

"They were great," he said.

"The Socceroos should have gone into the quarter-finals because they were up to beating Italy."

AAP
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfio will take interest in this...
but imo Italy r shining the world and ppl here r still asking about that dive.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
Sateeh i was just about to post that! lol Well i have spoken about this many times and i will not open old wounds as all this talk has been done before and nothing will b solved! But for me its not about Blatter feeling the penalty was not right more for his hate of italian football, which is his opinion and thats fair enough!
But also diving must b addressed but since there are no fierce rules are in place it has become a more often occurance and it must b stopped!

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
The problem with putting a harsher penalty on diving is simply that it's so hard to distinguish between a foul and a dive. If the player is good at diving, or if he was "sort of" touched, then there's no way a referee can make that call without being controversial.

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
Sir Sebastian said:
The problem with putting a harsher penalty on diving is simply that it's so hard to distinguish between a foul and a dive. If the player is good at diving, or if he was "sort of" touched, then there's no way a referee can make that call without being controversial.
Nothing much can b done in the game sence it all depends on the human eye which is difficult to say the least! But after the game there is video footage, it can be anayslied and with the slow motion replay u can see contact and u can tell which is a dive or not! If dive is spotted Suspensions that range for 1 to 3 games and match fees should b on the line judged by the serverity of the dive(cheating)! These consquences will make players think twice about trying to get a unfair advantage! thats my two cents.....

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Altair said:
mmh how abpout apologizing to italy for the korea match, or england for the hand, or germany in 66 or Dreyfus while we re at it; i wish upon blatter a lengthy excruciating anal probe
Word.

Muha

The Head Physio
Feb 25, 2004
Blatter's apology came as a part of his campaign against Italian football.. He has never hidden his hatered for Italy.. But who gives a shit to what a bald crackwhore says..

But that doesnt mean im with diving.. Diving should be strictly punished, and there is no doubt about that... And as Alfio said, footgaes of the games must be used after each game to see if there were any divers or not.. But should a dive that results in a penalty and eventually a goal be punished by cancelling that goal, NO... because simply we wouldnt want a match to be played 3 times, or a match to extend up to 3 hours just because the ref didnt see what really happened.

Australia did really well and no one denies that.. but mistakes committed on behalf of the ref, were not the italians fault, and we all need to understand that..

As for Blatter, let him yaap as much as he wants, he would still be a fag.

ps i wonder if capello had a night or two with him when he was a kid.. i'll leave Bozi to comment on that :D

OP
sateeh

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    Alfio_87 said:
    Nothing much can b done in the game sence it all depends on the human eye which is difficult to say the least! But after the game there is video footage, it can be anayslied and with the slow motion replay u can see contact and u can tell which is a dive or not! If dive is spotted Suspensions that range for 1 to 3 games and match fees should b on the line judged by the serverity of the dive(cheating)! These consquences will make players think twice about trying to get a unfair advantage! thats my two cents.....
    Thats good, but what happens for the consequences of diving during the game? Like the Australia game or even the final when Malouda dived ? Teams will suffer injustice and could lose a game.
    Even if there were penalties, what would Malouda care now? he got a penalty in the final and got his team up 1-0. If they were going to give him a suspension later, then he wouldnt care.

Imo this is a very hard situation, some ppl call it a part of the game and it all comes down to the players.But like Sebi said, its very hard to call or even to spot. And then what warrantees a dive ?

@Altair , spot on mate, ur the man :tup:

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Oh and Materrazzi's Red card was fair??

And besides had that penalty not counted, the game would've gone to extra time. How does Blatter claim that Australia should've won is beyone me:confused:.

Muha

The Head Physio
    Feb 25, 2004
    Rami said:
    Oh and Materrazzi's Red card was fair??

And besides had that penalty not counted, the game would've gone to extra time. How does Blatter claim that Australia should've won is beyone me:confused:.
    This just goes to show you how Blatter shouldnt be Fifa's president anymore.. If the head of the supposedly 'fair play' organization starts to take sides, then i wish for all those who voted for him to burn in hell.

JuveUltra

Sep 29, 2006
    blatter is full of himself, fairenough it was a dubious penalty but it was one of those calls that could've gone both ways,
    and i'm sick of people saying that if it had of gone to extra time australia would have won there's nothing to say that if it had've gone into extra time Italy still wouldn't have won, just look at euro 2000 they held the dutch scoreless with 10 men

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    If Blatter thinks our penalty against Australia was so disgraceful why didn't he mention Malouda's in the fucking FINAL!

Apr 15, 2006
    i agree with the Fair Play comment. he shouldnt be FIFA's president anymore.

personally, i feel that if Italy played the whole of the second half with 10 men n still didnt concede a goal, and defended to the max, then i dont see how the Aussies would've won it. Surely Italy would've brushed themselves up at the full time team talk and soaked up all the attacks to go for penalties!!!

still, i didnt see ANY chance where Australia would've won the match! Italy were just too strong! and Blatter is simply being fuckin partial!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)