Belgium is a racist nation... full of racists... (1 Viewer)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Seven's right about suing and the likely outcome.

The proper way to do it would have been to report it to the police/football authorities. They could have imposed some sort of penalty, whether footballing or otherwise, or his club could have fined him.

Suing him is pathetic.

Obviously racist abuse is wrong, but just man up and insult him back. It's just part of sport.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #43
    I didn't say it was okay. Personally I never even insult people during a football match. I don't see why anyone would do it. But if I get insulted, I don't even react. Sure, racism is not nice, but this is nothing.

Honestly, what's he going to do? So he'll be in front of a judge, this huge American, and he'll say "this guy called me a monkey, judge".

Seriously, if you were the judge, how would you react? You'd say he should grow the fuck up.
    I'm not saying the lawsuit is okay. Or even realistic. Who cares about the lawsuit, if it's such a trivial matter then it really shouldn't bother you.

The issue at hand is the racist statement. I know racism isn't such a big deal in Europe, but some of us do get a little offended by it.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I'm not saying the lawsuit is okay. Or even realistic. Who cares about the lawsuit, if it's such a trivial matter then it really shouldn't bother you.

The issue at hand is the racist statement. I know racism isn't such a big deal in Europe, but some of us do get a little offended by it.
    That's basically true. We're a lot less sensationalist about it, it doesn't trigger huge media scandals.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    In America Van Damme would be ridiculed in the media. His image would be ruined. People would be outraged and he would be immediately fined by whatever league he plays in.

The only reason Onyewu is suing is probably because the league failed to do anything about the matter. That's assuming the lawsuit is the problem here. The problem here is we have idiot Belgians running around calling black people monkeys and it being accepted.
    Van Damme's a moron. I won't even go there. But I have my doubts about the racism thing. I don't know whether or not to believe Onyewu. But I agree that the FA should have done more about it. They could have at least opened an investigation.

It bothers me because it's plain stupid. Onyewu does it to get attention, but it won't be the good kind. As for racism not being a big deal in Europe.. well.. I suppose I don't really have to answer that.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    So he'll be in front of a judge, this huge American, and he'll say "this guy called me a monkey, judge".
    :lol:

Aaron, the thing we can't understand is the suing part. I don't think anyone supports the Belgian guy for his racist remark. But there are thousand of other ways to solve the problem.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    That's basically true. We're a lot less sensationalist about it, it doesn't trigger huge media scandals.
    In a lot of cases it's a very thin line to walk in Europe. Sometimes you can say a lot, sometimes you can't say anything.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    We're all monkeys, really... haven't you heard?

Little thing called evolution.

:spliff:

Racism is obviously wrong, but setting legal precedent's on comments of this nature is certainly a slippery - and when defining and interpreting limits/criteria, possibly a dangerous - slope.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #50
    Van Damme's a moron. I won't even go there. But I have my doubts about the racism thing. I don't know whether or not to believe Onyewu. But I agree that the FA should have done more about it. They could have at least opened an investigation.

It bothers me because it's plain stupid. Onyewu does it to get attention, but it won't be the good kind. As for racism not being a big deal in Europe.. well.. I suppose I don't really have to answer that.
    That's what the article says. Apparently it's pretty common place in the league and since Onyewu is pretty well known I guess he figured he'd file the suit. But if European courts don't really take libel cases as seriously American courts (not that we take them serious, we just hear more cases and once a jury gets involved anything can happen), then perhaps his attorneys should have explained that. I don't expect the Gooch to be completely versed in Belgian law.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    In a lot of cases it's a very thin line to walk in Europe. Sometimes you can say a lot, sometimes you can't say anything.
    The thing is that if you want to change something you have to blow it way out of proportion, otherwise people won't believe it's a serious problem. So certain cases of racism in the US fuel a big media scandal, nationwide news. That seems ridiculous, but it's basically necessary to exaggerate it.

We don't have that kind of mass scandal culture around racism in Europe. In one sense that's a lot more rational. But it probably means you can get away with more too. I think the racism activism issue is more regional here. In some areas it's a big thing, elsewhere it's not really part of the culture.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #52
    We're all monkeys, really... haven't you heard?

Little thing called evolution.

:spliff:

Racism is obviously wrong, but setting legal precedent's on comments of this nature is certainly a slippery - and when defining and interpreting limits/criteria, possibly a dangerous - slope.
    Why bring the Chinese into this?

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #53

Aaron, the thing we can't understand is the suing part. I don't think anyone supports the Belgian guy for his racist remark. But there are thousand of other ways to solve the problem.
    It's an overreaction from a pissed off black man. In America if Van Damme called Onyewu a monkey on the street, Onyewu would just beat the crap out of Van Damme.

Since Onyewu can't really physically beat someone up on the soccer field, in his eyes suing is the next best thing. Onyewu isn't the smartest guy on the field, but he's probably plenty pissed off since he is American.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    That's what the article says. Apparently it's pretty common place in the league and since Onyewu is pretty well known I guess he figured he'd file the suit. But if European courts don't really take libel cases as seriously American courts (not that we take them serious, we just hear more cases and once a jury gets involved anything can happen), then perhaps his attorneys should have explained that. I don't expect the Gooch to be completely versed in Belgian law.
    If you interpret the law strictly it will never go to court. It can't. There is no case. Onyewu can only have this case if he can show to have suffered damage. And he can do no such thing.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #56
    If you interpret the law strictly it will never go to court. It can't. There is no case. Onyewu can only have this case if he can show to have suffered damage. And he can do no such thing.
    I guess you guys don't have punitive damages. Too bad, it would make your courts much more exciting.

OP
    Enron

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
  • Thread Starter #57
    Oh no, you didn't... :stuckup: :biggrin:

"Come on people now, smile on your brother..."

:dule:
    Now your calling out the gays? What's wrong with you Europeans? You're all supposed to so 'evolved'. :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I guess you guys don't have punitive damages. Too bad, it would make your courts much more exciting.
    No. In theory Van Damme could be fined and he could be forced to pay compensation, but it won't happen because Onyewu didn't suffer any damage. Because of that it's not possible for Onyewu to start the entire procedure and I doubt that the public prosecutor would see much importance in this case.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
    Now your calling out the gays? What's wrong with you Europeans? You're all supposed to so 'evolved'. :D
    I'm Canadian, brother! Multiculturalism, and Man on Man lovin all the way!

I am something of a product of Europe though...

On one side:Italian grandfather - French/German Grandmother
    On the other side, English/Scottish grandfather, English/Irish grandmother

My dad's from New Mexico, and my mom is Canadian. I am a mutt... descended from monkeys, and oh so confused...:biggrin:

Ahhh, to be Canadian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)