Arsenal Stopped! (1 Viewer)

Amr

Dec 25, 2003
Arsenal should have won this match,, ferdinand should' have been sentt of in the 1st 10 mins after clashing with ljungberg + what a damn dive by kid rooney ..

epl refs :wallbang:

Apr 12, 2004
I am glad that Arsenal lost, I am so sick of them winning all the time, although they prob should never win, having the whole French National team and everything. But it is about time they lost a match, their time of domination (in the league, never in Europe) in over.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by BayernFussball ] ++
I am glad that Arsenal lost, I am so sick of them winning all the time, although they prob should never win, having the whole French National team and everything. But it is about time they lost a match, their time of domination (in the league, never in Europe) in over.
Arsenal has never dominated in Europe, and I don't expect them to. This loss might actually spell more trouble for the Gunners, as now they know that they aren't invincible. A slide of confidence could be on the cards IMO, and frankly Arsenal hasn't really impressed me lately.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Amr ] ++
Arsenal should have won this match,, ferdinand should' have been sentt of in the 1st 10 mins after clashing with ljungberg
Oh come on man, anyone who plays or watches football knows that wasn't a foul. Ljungberg wasn't in control of the ball because his first touch was poor. They were simply running together.

In those situations the attacking player should keep his balance, so it wasn't Rio's fault. There was too little contact or cynicism in the incident for the ref to send Ferdinand off, which he would have had to do, since he was the last man back.
++ [ originally posted by Amr ] ++
what a damn dive by kid rooney ..
That wasn't a penalty, but I think the referee didn't call Cole's foul on Ronaldo later on in the match because he realised that the first call was incorrect. I don't agree with that though; referees should judge every incident in an isolated fashion.

Jul 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Oh come on man, anyone who plays or watches football knows that wasn't a foul. Ljungberg wasn't in control of the ball because his first touch was poor. They were simply running together.
I disagree. Rio ran up to Ljungberg and barged him as soon as he got there. There was no way he could've kept his balance.

That wasn't a penalty, but I think the referee didn't call Cole's foul on Ronaldo later on in the match because he realised that the first call was incorrect. I don't agree with that though; referees should judge every incident in an isolated fashion.
I thought it was a penalty......at least from the clip I saw, it seemed like Campbell stuck his leg out after Rooney side-stepped him. I do agree that the ref let a lot of incidents go uncarded, especially that Neville trip on Reyes.

Alex

May 1, 2004
Good but possibly bad. Arsenal seem to only perform well on the one front. I kind of wished that Arsenal kept up their home form though so that their exit from the CL will be ever more sweet.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
I disagree. Rio ran up to Ljungberg and barged him as soon as he got there. There was no way he could've kept his balance.
It wasn't quite shoulder to shoulder, but Ferdinand didn't trip him or push him with his arms, so he couldn't possibly have been sent off for that challenge.
++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
I thought it was a penalty......at least from the clip I saw, it seemed like Campbell stuck his leg out after Rooney side-stepped him.
Rooney admitted himself that there was no contact, and from what I saw there definitely wasn't enough to make him tumble down like a sack of spuds.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Ok http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=314307&cc=4716

U know I know everybody in here knows.

Wenger wants FA action against Ruud

Arsene Wenger has called on the Football Association to look again at Ruud van Nistelrooy's first-half challenge on Ashley Cole at Old Trafford on sunday which BBC pundit Alan Hansen labelled 'a disgrace'.

Television replays showed the prolific Manchester United striker slide his boot down Cole's shin as the pair tussled for possession during the 2-0 win which ended Arsenal's 49-game unbeaten run.

While Sir Alex Ferguson claimed the incident appeared innocuous and was surprised Arsenal were questioning it, Hansen pulled no punches as he assessed the game on Match of the Day: 'It was nasty, cynical - a disgrace.'

Wenger is still furious with Van Nistelrooy for his part in Patrick Vieira's dismissal in the corresponding fixture last season.

So, with referee Mike Riley deciding the incident did not even warrant a free-kick - one of a string of decisions from the Leeds official which left Wenger seething - the Frenchman hopes the FA will step in.

'Yes, I would like them to look at it,' he said.

'We know how Ruud van Nistelrooy behaves. He can only cheat people - we know him very well.'

The fact Van Nistelrooy stroked home the 72nd-minute penalty which put United on the way to victory only compounded Wenger's frustration.

By that time, Wenger felt his side should have been playing against 10 men anyway, so certain was he that Rio Ferdinand's first-half clash with Freddie Ljungberg should have resulted in the Red Devils skipper being sent off.

With Jose Reyes on the end of some tough tackling which Wenger felt Riley did nothing to stamp out meant, he was even further riled when the referee then awarded a penalty against Sol Campbell, even though he appeared to make minimal contact with birthday boy Wayne Rooney.

'Rooney told my players afterwards that he hadn't been touched,' complained the Gunners chief.

'But it's the usual thing when you come to play Manchester United and they are in trouble.

'Look at the record of the referee in games involving Manchester United. That tells you all you need to know.'

Riley has now awarded the Red Devils seven penalties in as many games, although Wenger did not have an opinion on Cole's foul on Cristiano Ronaldo which should have brought a second spot-kick but brought no award from the referee.

Instead, Wenger turned his fury on United's physical approach, especially the way they appeared to target Reyes.

'These type of tactics are exactly what I expected from Manchester United,' said Wenger.

'This is what they always do when they are in a difficult situation and playing against us.'

Following on from last season's FA Cup semi-final, it was the second game in succession that Arsenal's juggernaut has come to a stuttering halt in the face of a highly motivated United side.

Having told his team they could not afford anything but a victory, Ferguson said he had been convinced they would do exactly that, and they wrapped up maximum points in stoppage time when Rooney tapped home after substitutes Louis Saha and Alan Smith had combined to exploit the gaps being left in the visitors' defence.

'It was a big win for us,' said Ferguson.

'It proves there is nothing between the sides.

'Arsenal are a very good team but we have matched them in head-to-head encounters down the years. Now we have to find a similar level of consistency.'

Unsurprisingly, Ferguson had a differing opinion of Riley's performance, specifically the key issues which determined the outcome.

On Ferdinand's challenge with Ljungberg he felt the Swede ran into the England centre-back.

'He [Ljungberg] was clever, he knew he wasn't going to get anywhere near the ball, so he ran into him and forced the referee to make a decision,' said Ferguson.

And as far as the penalty was concerned, Ferguson thought the issue was straightforward.

'If someone is brought down in the area, it's a penalty,' he said. 'What other decision is there?

'At times I was disappointed with the referee but the nature of the game made it impossible for him.

'Every time he made a decision, he had Patrick Vieira by his side. That must be difficult to handle.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
FA look at Van Nistelrooy foul

The Football Association will study video evidence of Ruud van Nistelrooy's challenge on Arsenal full-back Ashley Cole at Old Trafford on Sunday before deciding whether to charge the Manchester United striker.

Van Nistelrooy could be hit by a three-match ban if the FA opt to charge him over the tackle, missed by referee Mike Riley, whose performance was slated by Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.

Soho Square officials are in for a busy time dealing with the aftermath of yesterday's crunch encounter, which United won 2-0 to end Arsenal's magnificent 49-game unbeaten record in the league.

They will also investigate Wenger's post-game criticism of Riley and van Nistelrooy was a 'cheat'.

In addition, they will also seek to find out how Sir Alex Ferguson ended up having soup thrown at him in the tunnel after the match.

Ferguson was confronted in the players' tunnel immediately after the game and was forced to change out of his suit and into a tracksuit to conduct his post-game TV interviews.

Privately, United are still considering whether to take the matter further, although without further co-operation the FA would have an extremely difficult task trying to level a charge.

Any intent behind Van Nistelrooy's lunge should be easier to determine. Sir Alex Ferguson felt the incident was innocuous, a view not shared by Wenger, whose own comments look set to land him in hot water.

'We know how Ruud van Nistelrooy behaves,' said the Frenchman. 'He can only cheat people - we know him very well.'

The tackle was labelled 'a disgrace' by BBC TV pundit Alan Hansen and the fact Van Nistelrooy stroked home the 72nd-minute penalty that put United on the way to victory only compounded Wenger's frustration.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++
FA look at Van Nistelrooy foul

The Football Association will study video evidence of Ruud van Nistelrooy's challenge on Arsenal full-back Ashley Cole at Old Trafford on Sunday before deciding whether to charge the Manchester United striker.

Van Nistelrooy could be hit by a three-match ban if the FA opt to charge him over the tackle, missed by referee Mike Riley, whose performance was slated by Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.

Soho Square officials are in for a busy time dealing with the aftermath of yesterday's crunch encounter, which United won 2-0 to end Arsenal's magnificent 49-game unbeaten record in the league.

They will also investigate Wenger's post-game criticism of Riley and van Nistelrooy was a 'cheat'.

In addition, they will also seek to find out how Sir Alex Ferguson ended up having soup thrown at him in the tunnel after the match.

Ferguson was confronted in the players' tunnel immediately after the game and was forced to change out of his suit and into a tracksuit to conduct his post-game TV interviews.

Privately, United are still considering whether to take the matter further, although without further co-operation the FA would have an extremely difficult task trying to level a charge.

Any intent behind Van Nistelrooy's lunge should be easier to determine. Sir Alex Ferguson felt the incident was innocuous, a view not shared by Wenger, whose own comments look set to land him in hot water.

'We know how Ruud van Nistelrooy behaves,' said the Frenchman. 'He can only cheat people - we know him very well.'
The tackle was labelled 'a disgrace' by BBC TV pundit Alan Hansen and the fact Van Nistelrooy stroked home the 72nd-minute penalty that put United on the way to victory only compounded Wenger's frustration.

This is Right

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
More fascinating is the rumored soup-dousing incident on Sir Alex. In the U.S., they dump Gatorade on the winning coach, and it's supposed to be an honor. I guess an Arsenal player hasn't quite figured out the cross-pond translation for that yet. ;)

ADP Timers

Feb 4, 2004
FA charge Ruud, summon Wenger

Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy has been charged by the FA following the explosive match at Old Trafford yesterday.

Van Nistelrooy: Fouled Ashley Cole. (MichaelSteele/GettyImages)

Holland international van Nistelrooy has been charged with serious foul play following a challenge on Arsenal full-back Ashley Cole during the match which United won 2-0.

Under the FA's new fast-track disciplinary system van Nistelrooy's case will be dealt with on Thursday.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been asked to explain post-match comments about van Nistelrooy and referee Mike Riley.

Van Nistelrooy's challenge, missed by referee Riley, was branded `a disgrace' by BBC TV pundit Alan Hansen, who claimed van Nistelrooy's actions were `nasty and cynical'.

They also brought the `cheat' jibe from Wenger which is thought to have played some part in the tunnel fracas that erupted after the game that ended Arsenal's 49-game unbeaten run.

'We know how Ruud van Nistelrooy behaves,' said Wenger.

'He can only cheat people - we know him very well.'

Wenger has been asked by the FA to explain those comments while van Nistelrooy has until tomorrow to answer the charge which has been brought under FA Rule E3 - for serious foul play.

Van Nistelrooy will be dealt with swiftly by the FA who have given him until tomorrow to admit or deny the charge before his case is dealt with by the disciplinary commission on Thursday.

The prolific Dutchman has not been sent off or suspended since his £18.5million move from PSV Eindhoven three years ago.

However, unless United can successfully argue the 28-year-old's case, he is likely to be facing a three-match ban for the challenge, which caught Cole just below the knee.

Van Nistelrooy went on to score the penalty which gave United a priceless advantage, with Wenger also fuming at Riley's decision to award the home side a spot-kick after Sol Campbell appeared to make minimal contact with Wayne Rooney.

The FA is also looking into a post-match fracas in the Old Trafford tunnel which reportedly resulted in food being thrown and which hit United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

A statement from the FA read: 'The FA has today charged Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy with a breach of FA Rule E3 - for serious foul play.

'The charge relates to an incident involving Ashley Cole during the match between Manchester Untied and Arsenal on Sunday, October 24.

'Ruud van Nistelrooy is required to admit or deny the charge by tomorrow, Tuesday October 26, with the case scheduled to be heard by the disciplinary commission on Thursday, October 28.

'Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been asked to explain his post-match comments about Ruud van Nistelrooy and referee Mike Riley.

'The FA is also looking into reports of an alleged incident in the tunnel after the match.'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)