Arsenal Stopped! (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2003
The invincible Milan that went unbeaten fo a record 58 serie A games streak from May 91 to April 93 didn't play in Europe in the 91/92 season, as it had to serve a one year ban following its unjustified stopping of the game in the 1990/91 European Cup's QF against Marseille.

So the season in which it didn't concede any serie A loss (equalling 1979 Perugia's record) is also the one where it had the advantage of focusing on just one competition.

However, in the 92-93 season, Milan established a European record still unequalled to this day of winning EVERY game on its way to the final, which we lost once again to our bête noire Marseille.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Thanks Libero. My point still stands though, I don't see Arsenal pulling something like that from their sleeves any time soon

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
The invincible Milan that went unbeaten fo a record 58 serie A games streak from May 91 to April 93 didn't play in Europe in the 91/92 season, as it had to serve a one year ban following its unjustified stopping of the game in the 1990/91 European Cup's QF against Marseille.

So the season in which it didn't concede any serie A loss (equalling 1979 Perugia's record) is also the one where it had the advantage of focusing on just one competition.

However, in the 92-93 season, Milan established a European record still unequalled to this day of winning EVERY game on its way to the final, which we lost once again to our bête noire Marseille.
Thanks for the info

I didn't know that.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

But did the Milan of 12-16 years ago suck ass in Europe? That's the difference.

Arsenal's whipping everyone's ass in England, then getting draws against mediocre teams from Norway and Greece in the CL, and depending on a single own goal against PSV, who are hardly a European superpower.
if you read my post carefully you'd notice that i said "nationally",but anyway thats a matter of tactics,for example Celta vigo last season they reached the 2nd round of the CL(which was where Man utd and juve reached)which isnt bad actually,but they got relegated in their domestic league,Barcelona were doing great in the CL 2 seasons ago but they were hardly 8th place at the time.last season Real was terrible in the league with 10 losses IIRC,but they were sensational in the CL.

PS:you know what i'm trying to point out right?:frown:

Amr

Dec 25, 2003
1. RVN's "foul" was nothing like as bad as what happened to him last year, and a 3 match ban is very harsh IMO
what are you on??

last year arsenal's player got punishment when they beat the hell out of rvn :D

but the tackle on cole,,, DESERVES THE DEATH PENALTY...

i was amazed when i saw a.cole playing after that inccident.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Now Ferguson Wants Henry Banned
10/31/2004 4:18:00 AM

Sir Alex Ferguson’s attempt to place Manchester United in sole occupancy of football’s moral high ground following criticism of their ‘robust’ tactics against bitter rivals Arsenal in last weekend’s now infamous clash moved up a notch as he called on the Football Association to punish Arsenal's Thierry Henry for an incident involving Gabriel Heinze.
Ferguson believes Henry deliberately caught Heinze on the head with his knee during United’s controversial victory that halted the Gunners’ unbeaten run.

The United manager said it was worse than Ruud van Nistelrooy’s tackle on Ashley Cole, for which the Dutch striker received a three-match ban.

"We shall present it to the FA and see what they do. The tackle on Heinze was terrible," said Ferguson.

Clubs are permitted to ask the FA to examine specific incidents, although information is normally expected to be provided within 48 hours of the end of the game.

The clash occurred moments before half-time when a Freddie Ljungberg challenge left Heinze on the ground on the left touchline.

Henry, following the ball, attempted to hurdle the Argentine but his knee collided with the back of Heinze’s head.

The striker protested his innocence - and referee Mike Riley deemed the collision accidental.

Ferguson was also upset by Arsenal’s overall discipline during the heated encounter between the two clubs. He praised his own side’s behaviour.

"Edu produced a terrible tackle on Scholes that was a potential leg-breaker," he said.

"There were 24 fouls in the game by Arsenal, seven on Heinze, five on Ronaldo, six by Vieira - and it was only his sixth foul that got him booked. Phil Neville got booked for his first challenge.

"I am proud of my players for the way they handled that pressure.

"We have always been good at being gracious in defeat. What happened on Sunday overshadowed our achievement, but then they do it all the time, don’t they?"

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Amr ] ++
but the tackle on cole,,, DESERVES THE DEATH PENALTY...
:rolleyes:

have you ever played football.. I'm guessing not because tackles like that happen all the time

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Amr ] ++
man it was horrific,, didn't you see it PM??
The issue really should be dead and buried by now, but I can't resist asking...

am I the only person who noticed that it was Cole who came rushing in to make the challenge? I wouldn't exactly call it a 'tackle' by RVN, since he already had the ball...

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Bang on Gray, thats exactly my point. Cole dived in, and to my mind it was a very rash tackle. if anything RVN was just defending himself from that

OP
la_dynamite86

la_dynamite86

Sep 24, 2004
  • Thread Starter #116
    I think, that Ferguson exaggerates a bit... I couldn't see the whole match, but I've seen the "disputed" scene and it wasn't so bad as it was described... He just wants to strike back after the incident with Cole...I think they should draw an end-line to this all and continune to play football instead of consulting the penalty tribunal all the time...

Jul 19, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

The issue really should be dead and buried by now, but I can't resist asking...

am I the only person who noticed that it was Cole who came rushing in to make the challenge? I wouldn't exactly call it a 'tackle' by RVN, since he already had the ball...
    I don't know about that. I saw Cole's foot going for the ball and RVN just picked up his feet and caught him on the knee. I don't know what 'challenge' you're talking about.....other than trying to kick the ball away. I mean, Campbell had him covered on the other side, so there wasn't even any reason for Cole to even think about hacking him down.

Whether you call it a 'tackle' or not, he prevented Cole from getting the ball with a malicious move. That's my 2 cents.......now off to a fun day at the uni with only 4 hours of sleep. :groan:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)