Antonio Conte (30 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Even if they played for a draw and finished 2nd in the group, they would've faced Croatia either way who look the best team in the tournament so far. How can we assume this road is any easier ? Besides an Italy team would match-up better to the bigger sides like Germany and Spain than the lesser sides where they always struggle against.
They wouldn't. They could play Hungary or Iceland.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Even if they played for a draw and finished 2nd in the group, they would've faced Croatia either way who look the best team in the tournament so far. How can we assume this road is any easier ? Besides an Italy team would match-up better to the bigger sides like Germany and Spain than the lesser sides where they always struggle against.
No, they would have faced the winner of Portugal's group in the round of 16.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
they would have faced Portugal (if they win their pathetic group), Wales (if they win their round of 16 game) and then most likely Croatia or Poland. you tell me how you dont see the benefit of playing these teams compared to the 3 best teams in Europe

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
they would have faced Portugal (if they win their pathetic group), Wales (if they win their round of 16 game) and then most likely Croatia or Poland. you tell me how you dont see the benefit of playing these teams compared to the 3 best teams in Europe
Ok, got it mixed up, sorry. As i said, its not something you 'plan', because with that comes a certain amount of risk factor too. So you try to do the best you can in every game that is to win.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Why do you need to go out there to play for a negative result ? Yes a draw would be considered a negative result for me. Italy is not Slovakia or Austria or something. You play every game to win.

- - - Updated - - -

And trust me, if Conte truly went out there to play out a draw against Sweden, he would've been criticized on this forum for having a pussy mentality. He would've been criticized either way.
You can only play for the draw if the other team is too, otherwise you are playing to lose, anyone who played any sport competitively knows that
:tup:

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Ok, got it mixed up, sorry. As i said, its not something you 'plan', because with that comes a certain amount of risk factor too. So you try to do the best you can in every game that is to win.
Telling your players to go for the 0-0 draw from the first minute is, of course, bound to go wrong. But when you're into the second half playing against Sweden - a team that haven't had a single shot on target - you should reevaluate.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
How can you blame or criticize someone for winning ? Jesus. I suppose Conte himself should've ran on the field and made a two footed challenge on Eder before he could score that goal ?

As i said, Italy would fancy their chances against anyone in this tournament. None of the big teams have looked particularly convincing.
I can when winning gives you a worse outcome than drawing. But if you haven't got it, I doubt you'll ever be able to get it.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Great job at the Euros so far, but his rotation is still cancerous. Word is no Insigne or SES today, two players who need to be judged now in the only meaningless game left to see whether or not they can come on and do something in the later stages. Instead it's Motta, Wing back Florenzi, Ogbonna and friends. God forbid he needs to turn to players like Insigne with zero practice in a big game that Italy happen to be trailing.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
It's obviously harsh blaming Conte for winning the game against Sweden. Obviously, a draw would have been ideal, but a win does provide additional encouragement for the team. Ideally, he would have changed to a more defensive formation in the second half, but it is what it is. I don't blame him for winning the game, but going for the draw would have been a masterstroke. Now I just hope Italy will manage to beat Spain.
I am confused. Are the people blaming Conte doing so because (1) he set his team up to play for a win instead of a draw or (2) he set his team up for a draw but instead got a win?

If its (1) then you disagree with him about the objectives of the game (he wants 3 points you want 1) but you recognize that he succeeded at getting the result he wanted to get. In other words, his tactics worked given the objectives that he had set. He just happens to have had the wrong objective in your view.

If its (2) then you agree with him about the objective of the game, where both of you want a draw), but you are criticizing his tactics for ending up with a win instead of the planned draw.

To those who think (1) I would say
(a) that it is very unusual to expect a coach to tell his team to not win a match i.e. not try their best. That seems as a motivational disaster and the wrong attitude to plant in your players. Winning is the default objective for any big team for this reason
(b) Very often playing for a draw will end in a narrow defeat and then you are totally screwed and rightfully criticized for losing a game you are fully capable of winning.
(c) this scenario admits that Conte succeeded at winning which was his target. That match is another testament to his coaching skill. Must be uncomfortable to haters.

To those who think (2) I would say that this reasoning is clearly false.
Conte was not playing for a draw. If he was, then Eder and the team in general would not have tried to score till the very end and would have just wasted time. They obviously did not do that. If Eder went against Conte's instructions Italy could have always intentionally scored an own goal and made it a draw in the last second. They did not because they were obviously trying to win.

I know that the usual suspects have been switching between (1) and (2) trying to criticize Conte for even trying win AND saying that he was really trying to draw but was incompetent enough to accidentally win. You know who you are.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I am confused. Are the people blaming Conte doing so because (1) he set his team up to play for a win instead of a draw or (2) he set his team up for a draw but instead got a win?

If its (1) then you disagree with him about the objectives of the game (he wants 3 points you want 1) but you recognize that he succeeded at getting the result he wanted to get. In other words, his tactics worked given the objectives that he had set. He just happens to have had the wrong objective in your view.

If its (2) then you agree with him about the objective of the game, where both of you want a draw), but you are criticizing his tactics for getting the win instead of the draw.
I don't think I have seen anyone claim that Conte was trying to get a draw. Everyone agrees that Conte wanted to win and got the win (option 1).

To those who think (1) I would say (a) that it is very unusual to expect a coach to tell his team to not win a match i.e. not try their best. That seems as a motivational disaster and the wrong attitude to plant in your players. Winning is the default objective for any big team for this reason (b) Very often playing for a draw will end in a narrow defeat and then you are totally screwed and rightfully criticized for losing a game you are fully capable of winning. (c) this scenario admits that Conte succeeded at winning which was his target. That match is another testament to his coaching skill.
I agree with the fact that playing for 0-0 from the first minute is bound to go wrong. But - as I wrote earlier - when you're in the second half against a toothless Swedish team with zero shots on goal, it would have been preferable to reevaluate and change to a more defensive approach. That would mean not substituting a hungry Zaza on, for example. Do I blame him for winning? No. But I do think changing to a more defensive approach would have been better.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I don't think I have seen anyone claim that Conte was trying to get a draw. Everyone agrees that Conte wanted to win and got the win (option 1).

I agree with the fact that playing for 0-0 from the first minute is bound to go wrong. But - as I wrote earlier - when you're in the second half against a toothless Swedish team with zero shots on goal, it would have been preferable to reevaluate and change to a more defensive approach. That would mean not substituting a hungry Zaza on, for example. Do I blame him for winning? No. But I do think changing to a more defensive approach would have been better.
The team was as defensive as it gets man. There is consensus that it was a snoozefest.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Conte has no excuse tonight for such a dreadful performance.

He changed 8 players so the team is fresh but they are hardly even getting out of their own half.

He's not even giving el sharaway and insigne game time to try them out I don't understand it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)